• Jan 31st, 2007 10:32 am
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary

How soon is too soon to leave a job?

So suppose you've just started a new job and it's turned out nowhere near what you were expecting. How long would you give it before you go elsewhere?

Is 1 month too soon?
11 replies
Oct 4, 2006
562 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
It depends. Are you getting paid well? Are they @sses? I would normally try to get another job before quitting.

But there is nothing as too soon to quit. You are wasting their time and yours.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Pucca_Garu wrote:
Jan 30th, 2007 1:48 pm
It depends. Are you getting paid well? Are they @sses? I would normally try to get another job before quitting.

But there is nothing as too soon to quit. You are wasting their time and yours.
The salary is good. The people are really nice. I was just expecting a more challenging role.

Well in the past month or so since joining, I've received 3 interview requests from resumes I submitted back in November and one unsolicited request from a consulting firm I've dealt with in my past role. Each one I declined as it would be a waste of both their time and mine since I didn't think I would leave at the time. One of the positions has been listed on workopolis again so I am considering contacting their HR department to see if I can get that interview now. The unsolicited request is pretty much a standing offer as they are incredibly busy and could always use more people with my background. I just don't want to burn any bridges in the process but I don't want to stay too long and waste their time in regards to training.
Feb 28, 2002
556 posts
GTA
Go for it..get the interviews and hopefully a job offer or two!

Your only options curently are
a) keep working and look for a new job
b) quit your job and look for a new one

If you really hate the job and have savings you can live on then you can choose option b, but otherwise you just gotta keep looking and working.

No time is too soon to leave a job. Don't waste your time, it is valuable. Your new employer will also appreciate you leaving sooner rather than later..less of a loss for them. Your priority is you, however and not your employer.

best of luck!
[OP]
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Fragle wrote:
Jan 30th, 2007 3:04 pm
Go for it..get the interviews and hopefully a job offer or two!

Your only options curently are
a) keep working and look for a new job
b) quit your job and look for a new one

If you really hate the job and have savings you can live on then you can choose option b, but otherwise you just gotta keep looking and working.

No time is too soon to leave a job. Don't waste your time, it is valuable. Your new employer will also appreciate you leaving sooner rather than later..less of a loss for them. Your priority is you, however and not your employer.

best of luck!
I guess my biggest concern would be that they get upset because they feel I didn't give it a try.

Also, I moved to this position through a head hunter, so his credibility is somewhat on the line as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4716 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
TheMoops wrote:
Jan 30th, 2007 3:22 pm
So you've been there for a month?

Usually the first month or so is pretty slow for new employees just to get them acquainted with all of the new people/processes. If you think the job isn't going to start giving you more challenging work in a month or two, then I'd say get the hell outta there.

Best case would be to go talk to your supervisor about your concerns (not possible sometimes). Otherwise find another job then give your current employer a few weeks notice to find another person to take your job.
I know of a person who started a job, took advantage of medical benefits, then quit within the same month. Also was referred by headhunter...not sure where that guy's credibility stands
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
4 upvotes
Sonic Temple
Depends on the opportunity to move on from it or not....if it's a dead end job then different story.
Jan 29, 2007
51 posts
3 months is a safer time to consider quitting. You have to keep the current job longer after the 3 months probation, otherwise how are you going to explain to your next employer that you are not being fired but you fire them?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11337 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
charliebrown wrote:
Jan 30th, 2007 3:23 pm
I know of a person who started a job, took advantage of medical benefits, then quit within the same month. Also was referred by headhunter...not sure where that guy's credibility stands
Then its company's fault for offering medical benefits within less than 3 months of service.
HEATware |

[shortened link removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
3 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 30th, 2007 8:09 pm
Then its company's fault for offering medical benefits within less than 3 months of service.
I dont think many will lol
× < >