How to stop cold air from cellar door

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2019 2:42 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes

How to stop cold air from cellar door

Finished basement room where cold cellar is located seems colder than the other rooms. We tried weather striping the gaps but still feel that cold air is coming from cold cellar! How can I insulate that door so that room will be warmer? Can covering the door with plastic film or covering the door with bubble wrap will help.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5519 posts
1668 upvotes
Space
Door sweep? Install rubber weatherstripping?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8591 posts
1629 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Is it an interior door? If so, replace with an insulated exterior door.
Nov 10, 2003
733 posts
119 upvotes
Concord
I think you need to replace the door with an exterior door.
UNOO - Meet Canada's Premium Heated Jacket
Jan 7, 2013
417 posts
176 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Is the cold cellar vented to the outside? If so, it should be an exterior grade door.

If the vent is plugged (sometimes people do this), an interior door is ok.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
1) Weatherstrip on both sides of the door.
2) Change the door.

My cold cellar checked in at -4°C a couple days ago when we had that cold spell. There's a vent hole (about 4" in diameter) at the top of one wall.

With the door (standard cheap door that the builder put in) closed ... I don't feel the draft coming in to my unfinished basement. I guess it's because the weatherstrip at the bottom is done well enough.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11600 posts
4836 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Doors and windows are typically the weakest links when it comes to the insulating factor of the wall. As others have said, ensuring that the door is exterior rated and weather stripping that door will be two courses of action. You may also want to check that the door opening is properly insulated and sealed to the door frame -

[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes
It is vented outside and door from builder.I think it is insulated brown plywood .
Shaidin wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 8:05 am
Is the cold cellar vented to the outside? If so, it should be an exterior grade door.

If the vent is plugged (sometimes people do this), an interior door is ok.
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
154 upvotes
York, ON
TomLafinsky wrote: If you really want to stop the door from feeling cold to the touch you could glue a 1" piece of Styrofoam to the door. It won't be pretty but it will work.
That’s what I used last year. I used P&L and stuck on door exposed to cold room. Combine that with gap insulation, it kept the home interior from the cold.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes
I am going to get this weather stripping tape https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.flex ... 20747.html and try to fill some gaps between the door frame and door and see how it works.

Where did you get styrofoam sheet? And what is P&L-sorry, I didn't get it.

Thanks.
Alex360 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 2:28 pm
That’s what I used last year. I used P&L and stuck on door exposed to cold room. Combine that with gap insulation, it kept the home interior from the cold.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes
Door sweep seems fine-it is plastic one and no space to attach door snake shown in photo.

Still will try to put a pillow or some homemade thick door snake to stop cold air. Thanks.
Jerico wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 10:26 pm
The door sweep is usually the falling down point.
Images
  • 42bcfffa394522ab456408ff40c773fe--door-draft-princess-crafts.jpg
Last edited by new936 on Jan 27th, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks. Will try that.
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 4:09 pm
Lepage Premium PL. Can find it anywhere include HD. You can get the Styrofoam from HD or Lowes or any 'respectable' hardware store. Either pink or blue.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
216 posts
35 upvotes
Styrofoam at the back of the door or outside?
Alex360 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 2:28 pm