• Feb 14th, 2018 1:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5464 posts
166 upvotes
SK

How to stop dog marking outside

Whats a good outside deterrant to stop neighbours digs from marking, We have a hot tub that constantly is getting marked on. We don't live in the city, so it could be anyones dog.

Is there a spray a person can use. I keep wiping off the areas but it seems to just get worse. Im sure other stuff in our yard is getting marked as well, but this I notice since it is on our deck and see it al the time
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5518 posts
1692 upvotes
Kootenays
Bigger dog!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2731 posts
633 upvotes
Ottawa
Other than the "barrier" option, I can't think of anything that will stop a male dog from marking territory. So that means a fence of some kind. In summer, you can try the motion detecting water sprayers. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... MUQAvD_BwE

A bizarre suggestion that I've never had the opportunity to suggest... plant prickly ash, it is a thorny thicket-forming shrub that will deter anything (humans included). We had this at the rural property we owned, and nothing would go near it. Native plant, host to a specific butterfly (forget which one).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5464 posts
166 upvotes
SK
smacd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:55 pm
Bigger dog!
Don't have one, don't want one
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5464 posts
166 upvotes
SK
OttawaGardener wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 6:01 pm
Other than the "barrier" option, I can't think of anything that will stop a male dog from marking territory. So that means a fence of some kind. In summer, you can try the motion detecting water sprayers. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... MUQAvD_BwE

A bizarre suggestion that I've never had the opportunity to suggest... plant prickly ash, it is a thorny thicket-forming shrub that will deter anything (humans included). We had this at the rural property we owned, and nothing would go near it. Native plant, host to a specific butterfly (forget which one).
Bushes wont work, the hot tub is right on our deck, I thought there might be some sort of spray that dogs may not like. Once one marks others will as they now have made it their territory.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26976 posts
3290 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 6:31 pm
Bushes wont work, the hot tub is right on our deck, I thought there might be some sort of spray that dogs may not like. Once one marks others will as they now have made it their territory.
Mark your territory. Pee on it

Seriously. Have you considered one of those high pitched noise generators?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5464 posts
166 upvotes
SK
Gee wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 6:51 pm
Mark your territory. Pee on it

Seriously. Have you considered one of those high pitched noise generators?
Like those things you use for mice?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26976 posts
3290 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:17 pm
Like those things you use for mice?
Yes, the same ones. It should keep dogs away as well. Doesn’t really work on mice

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26976 posts
3290 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:20 pm
Sprinkled around the area?
Doesn't work well in snow and will get blown away. If you want to use pepper, it is best to use a perforated container.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5464 posts
166 upvotes
SK
Gee wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:28 am
Doesn't work well in snow and will get blown away. If you want to use pepper, it is best to use a perforated container.
Ill try that and raid the wifes pantry