• Feb 14th, 2018 1:22 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17568 posts
5657 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:54 pm
Lets take the summer time out of this, lets talk about the now. So how am I supposed to solve this then, sit outside and wait, in sub zero tempertaures, with a gun to shoot them. Not knowing their patterns or times when this happens.

Im being a pushover how, because I dont shoot random dogs? So instead of reporting this animal like I have, I go over with the animals dead carcass. The neighbours know how we feel about this dog, as its been chased out of our yard multiple times, carrying a bat and yellng at it.

I am not in charge of these people, they know what this dog does. Other neighbours have told me as well, that this dog wanders and causes issues.

These days, expecially with the ways laws work, I could get attacked on my property, kill or hurt the dog, and I could get charged for defending myself. Who knows? Im not willing to find that out at this time. But I will find out if things arent changing in the spring.

You seem to talk a tough talk as well. I assume from all this talk you take all matters with your neighbours and use a violent approach to it. Throw them around some?

Or are you all internet talk, no one will know. Personally, who gives a shit
After that first incident of a dog chasing my kid, in my own private property (my word to god himself), I can gurantee you that not one single dog will ever have such freedom again.
I never once suggested violence (that came from you); but I sure as hell wouldn't have left it to be a continued safety issue today!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 4:02 pm
After that first incident of a dog chasing my kid, in my own private property (my word to god himself), I can gurantee you that not one single dog will ever have such freedom again.
I never once suggested violence (that came from you); but I sure as hell wouldn't have left it to be a continued safety issue today!
So some random dog peeing on my hot tub is a continues safety issue? How can I accuse anything yet since I have no proof of whos it even is yet

Can you guarantee it, can you. Who knows, who cares. You're not even giving advice, your just on some rant now to keep this going. And by tomorrow, or even later tonight, you will have lost interest and moved on anyway
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17568 posts
5657 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 4:05 pm
So some random dog peeing on my hot tub is a continues safety issue? How can I accuse anything yet since I have no proof of whos it even is yet

Can you guarantee it, can you. Who knows, who cares. You're not even giving advice, your just on some rant now to keep this going. And by tomorrow, or even later tonight, you will have lost interest and moved on anyway
You are right...you can't be helped.
Good luck with cayenne pepper.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2499 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
A barrier. A fence. Ect. That’s the only thing that will
Keep a dog away from that super smelly spot thay they keep going back to.

Nothing mentioned above will be your 100%
solution,.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1013 posts
410 upvotes
grand valley
Trail cam is a good start. Are you sure it's not a yote?

If the owner of the offending animal refuses to do anything, catch the dog and take it to the pound.

Or shoot it.

There's little you can do to deter the behaviour.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
esoxhntr wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 5:59 pm
Trail cam is a good start. Are you sure it's not a yote?

If the owner of the offending animal refuses to do anything, catch the dog and take it to the pound.

Or shoot it.

There's little you can do to deter the behaviour.
Catching it in the act is the first part, with evidence (trail cam) To show bylaw

Second would be to call by law and report. If it is the dog I think it might be, hard to catch or even stop due to its size and location. Since it happens at times we arent around, Im not going to worry about taking care of this animal myself.

After that, the fines will start for the owners
Dec 4, 2009
109 posts
45 upvotes
Waterdown
You don’t have to coat the deck with the coyote urine, just mark a few outlining trees so the dogs catch the whiff... They will and it’ll be enough to changes their routine.

As a last option, trap them and call the animal control.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
Todd96srv wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:00 pm
You don’t have to coat the deck with the coyote urine, just mark a few outlining trees so the dogs catch the whiff... They will and it’ll be enough to changes their routine.

Thanks for the idea. I am going to try the trail cam first at least. For traps, for the most part any outside dogs here are large breed,, not the usual toy size that you can catch in the usual pest traps
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2718 posts
632 upvotes
Ottawa
Todd96srv wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:00 pm

In my experience (rural 38 acre property with lots of wildlife including coyotes)... we'd walk this property a lot, and our two dogs (black lab and pit mix) were never deterred by the scent left by coyotes, instead, they were fascinated - lots of extra peeing resulted.

While the coyote on that eastern Ontario property were rarely seen except by trail cam, we were there last fall when we (and our dogs) spotted a coyote standing 40 feet away. They were going to go investigate, but I called our dogs away.

All that to say, don't assume coyote urine will deter a dog. Maybe a little house dog, but not likely a rural dog accustomed to roaming.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
OttawaGardener wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:29 am
In my experience (rural 38 acre property with lots of wildlife including coyotes)... we'd walk this property a lot, and our two dogs (black lab and pit mix) were never deterred by the scent left by coyotes, instead, they were fascinated - lots of extra peeing resulted.

While the coyote on that eastern Ontario property were rarely seen except by trail cam, we were there last fall when we (and our dogs) spotted a coyote standing 40 feet away. They were going to go investigate, but I called our dogs away.

All that to say, don't assume coyote urine will deter a dog. Maybe a little house dog, but not likely a rural dog accustomed to roaming.
Very true, since they are probably used to the smell, outside rural dogs as they come across it all the time Im sure.
Dec 4, 2009
109 posts
45 upvotes
Waterdown
OttawaGardener wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:29 am

It’s a fine line in here and many of the moderators will flag my reply now, but it needs to be said. If I had a properly that large, with a problem critter, I’d just shoot it. If the dog is important to the owner, a phone call to come get him should be enough. A second uninvited visit would be considered tresspasing, get out the gun.

Rural living is much different than city living, I wouldn’t waste any more time being irritated with someone’s pet assuming you’ve done your due dilligence in asking nicely.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
Todd96srv wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:56 pm
It’s a fine line in here and many of the moderators will flag my reply now, but it needs to be said. If I had a properly that large, with a problem critter, I’d just shoot it. If the dog is important to the owner, a phone call to come get him should be enough. A second uninvited visit would be considered tresspasing, get out the gun.

Rural living is much different than city living, I wouldn’t waste any more time being irritated with someone’s pet assuming you’ve done your due dilligence in asking nicely.
While I agree this thing shoudnt roam, a dead dog by my hand will make for a very bad neighbour. But not only that, these days, who knows what can happen. Be hit with a lawsuit for undue "insert bullshit charge" here. Its honestly not worth it to me. Just to much of being right isnt right anymore

But when they wont listen, it might come down to that. But I am first going to find out whos it is first before accusing anyones animal.

In the past, yes this particular animal has been on our property and caused issues, but no harm as of yet. But Im not going to let it come to that point anyway, or maybe just lucky to. Theres a time to stop being nice, because eventually thats just shown as being a push over. Basically all chances are used up, one more rush attack on myself, or on my property, We have asked alot as well, and then stopped.

Thats why I got bylaw involved first.. But it seemed at that point he basically shunned all in the area. Bulit this god ugly fence with barbed wire and a double panel gate. Which like I said was used for a few days, so its pointless. All the money and time wasted for something that wont work.. Guy probably doesnt think farther than his nose no how much of a pain this would of been to everyone living there. Just be reactive. Every neighbour Ive talked to said how much of a snob hes turned into. Doesnt even wave anymore.

I have yet to see a dog do this, I just see its marking, thats all. My wife saw it running around yesterday when she got home from work, just in the ditch and driveway.

Trail cam is going up tonight. I havent checked if there have been an re-markings since I cleaned them off Sunday
Apr 28, 2014
199 posts
80 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I live in town as an adult, so there's no question about my shooting anything. Growing up, though, my dad would have certainly shot a dog on his property. My father-in-law shot one not too many years back because he didn't recognize it, and often has grandkids around outside: I don't think he did much thinking on it beforehand and, after, when he figured out whose it was, it was the owner who was apologetic. It wasn't a very good dog, of course. What I'm saying is, it's extremely bad form to let your dog roam around other people's property- I would say you already have a bad neighbour on your hands.

Anyway, as you say, that's a warm weather issue, the kids aren't going to be rushed outside this month. You're right that a live trap won't work. If you know a neighbour with a spring trap, ask to borrow it. If you don't know it's a dog and have coyotes around, better safe than sorry. If you've seen tracks, you know where it's going, so it's easy. If it was a coyote, good job. If it was a neighbour's dog, the problem's solved, too, and if you don't know the dog, the owner will assume it was run over, which it would have been at some point anyway.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
5390 posts
160 upvotes
SK
SouthOnt wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:03 pm
I live in town as an adult, so there's no question about my shooting anything. Growing up, though, my dad would have certainly shot a dog on his property. My father-in-law shot one not too many years back because he didn't recognize it, and often has grandkids around outside: I don't think he did much thinking on it beforehand and, after, when he figured out whose it was, it was the owner who was apologetic. It wasn't a very good dog, of course. What I'm saying is, it's extremely bad form to let your dog roam around other people's property- I would say you already have a bad neighbour on your hands.

Anyway, as you say, that's a warm weather issue, the kids aren't going to be rushed outside this month. You're right that a live trap won't work. If you know a neighbour with a spring trap, ask to borrow it. If you don't know it's a dog and have coyotes around, better safe than sorry. If you've seen tracks, you know where it's going, so it's easy. If it was a coyote, good job. If it was a neighbour's dog, the problem's solved, too, and if you don't know the dog, the owner will assume it was run over, which it would have been at some point anyway.
Problem with a spring trap is my cats. Ive trapped skunks before in a live trap, and for the most part, caught cats, sometimes mine :-) But at least they arent hurt. Spring trap though, not something I want to worry about either.

I know we have coyotes around, although our one neighbour is good at taking care of them. And in all the years here, we have never had them in the yard, although can hear them yipping in the back yard. But then again, we arent home all the time, in the summer months, maybe they do.

As for dogs, it can happen. One gets out by accident, comes over. That really doesnt bother me. I have neighbours with dogs, but they keep them in the yard for the most part.

Time will tell, the dogs been reported once, and this gets the owner a letter. The second time a big fine. Im thinking a hit to the wallet will make him take notice. Thats assuming the trail cam shows their dog
Apr 28, 2014
199 posts
80 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Fair enough about the cats. I set a live trap in the city (and did catch a dog once...), and mostly catch domesticated animals over the real prey. So I can get that. The camera makes sense, then, especially as you suspect the one dog. It's better to go through official channels, when possible.

I'm here shaking my head about your one neighbour- as you say, a dog takes off once in a while, no big deal. If your neighbour just don't care and lets it go wherever he wants, that's a different story. Mighty neighbourly.

I also have a lot of empathy with you and this (very mild, I know) invasion of your property. My sister is in Saskatchewan, and it's a different story from here. We think we know but, even if you're rural here, something happens you call and the OPP gets there in fifteen minutes, except maybe in the north. I know you guys don't have that luxury. Gotta stay safe and, to the extent possible, keep your nose clean. So official channels are smart in this case, and hopefully the trail cam helps you do it.