[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
SouthOnt wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:44 pm
Fair enough about the cats. I set a live trap in the city (and did catch a dog once...), and mostly catch domesticated animals over the real prey. So I can get that. The camera makes sense, then, especially as you suspect the one dog. It's better to go through official channels, when possible.

I'm here shaking my head about your one neighbour- as you say, a dog takes off once in a while, no big deal. If your neighbour just don't care and lets it go wherever he wants, that's a different story. Mighty neighbourly.

I also have a lot of empathy with you and this (very mild, I know) invasion of your property. My sister is in Saskatchewan, and it's a different story from here. We think we know but, even if you're rural here, something happens you call and the OPP gets there in fifteen minutes, except maybe in the north. I know you guys don't have that luxury. Gotta stay safe and, to the extent possible, keep your nose clean. So official channels are smart in this case, and hopefully the trail cam helps you do it.
When it comes to rural, neighbours is a loose term. You share a fence line but are still 1/2 a mile from their house, or they are across the road. This neighbour knows this dog is an issue, with more than me. I can hear others around yelling at it. While it has slowed dwon in the winter months, it still can be seen just running around. Other neighbours say they bring their kids in sometimes as it roams the yard, because it sneaks and surprises. have they dont anything about it as well, not sure,

When they can see and hear me chase it from my yard with a bat, and still dont do anything, they have the problem. Ive had the thing sneak up to me in my garage with the door open in the summer once, and snarl at me. And then I chase it with the closest thing I can grab. And all they say is "get back here"

And while I did report it, I think it took days for bylaw to get here to even do anything. Since its a huge area, and one dog bylaw officer, spread to thin.

And if I shoot, who knows. maybe the gun I have isnt licensed correctly now. I assume it is, was the last time I used it. Rules change so much when it comes to firearms these days. And by the time I actually get the gun from its safe, and then get the ammo, its long gone anyway

They way people on Canada get sued now, Id probably be sued for millions because of some loop hole.
Nov 14, 2013
468 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Do you have old mothballs lying around? tie in a bag and place them around the areas you need.
Dec 4, 2009
149 posts
76 upvotes
Waterdown
I seriously think you’re overthinking it. If they care about the dog, and you gave them fair warning, I’d get it done. They don’t need to see the carcass, drag it off so the birds or coyote can consume. Disrespect begets disrespect. Don’t feel bad that you’re the guy teaching the lesson, it’s a shame your neighbours are slow learners...
Oct 17, 2013
130 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
I live in a very rural area on a 100 acres, with livestock guardian dogs and various other livestock. My first thought, after a camera setup, was to put up an electric fence. You can make it cover an area as big or small as you want. I fence in 20 acres for livestock, but also my garden to keep critters out, it's inexpensive and it works. It's easy to turn off, and the shock is just a deterrent, I recover in seconds when I get zapped multiple times a year. It would definitely work around a hot tub, you probably wouldn't even need to keep it on after the dog got zapped once or twice.

As to roaming dogs and shooting them. It's perfectly legal to shoot roaming dogs, especially ones attacking livestock, and children are a little more important than livestock. You can even keep a gun unlocked and ready to use if you are anticipating an attack (just not loaded). You would never be sued for shooting a dog that was dangerous to people. Around here, dogs are always given a chance or two, but once owners and dogs have been warned and the dog keeps harassing, no one questions anything when the dog disappears.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
earthygoat wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:38 pm
I live in a very rural area on a 100 acres, with livestock guardian dogs and various other livestock. My first thought, after a camera setup, was to put up an electric fence. You can make it cover an area as big or small as you want. I fence in 20 acres for livestock, but also my garden to keep critters out, it's inexpensive and it works. It's easy to turn off, and the shock is just a deterrent, I recover in seconds when I get zapped multiple times a year. It would definitely work around a hot tub, you probably wouldn't even need to keep it on after the dog got zapped once or twice.

As to roaming dogs and shooting them. It's perfectly legal to shoot roaming dogs, especially ones attacking livestock, and children are a little more important than livestock. You can even keep a gun unlocked and ready to use if you are anticipating an attack (just not loaded). You would never be sued for shooting a dog that was dangerous to people. Around here, dogs are always given a chance or two, but once owners and dogs have been warned and the dog keeps harassing, no one questions anything when the dog disappears.

While an electric fence would work, and Ive set them up before. Its money and time to me. I dont have any electric fence wire, or a spare battery to operate it, or a solar panel to charge it.

And yes I can go buy these things, but Im not spending money because someone just thinks they can get away with stuff while others have to follow the rules. Why should I?

We had outside dogs ourselves, 2 of them in fact. And we made a huge dog run/kennel for them, and they were always in there during the day so they had freedom, but didnt get out to bother people. We followed the rules, so others werent bothered, and as well so we knew we werent the neighbours that were shown to have that "attitude"

One died last year, and since the other was smaller, she is now a house dog. What pisses me off is we followed the rules for almost 9 years, and others, screw it.

Still no proof however, we have had garbage weather the last few days, white out conditions. So I havent had time to do the camera. Its calming down now so I hope tonight.
Mar 19, 2013
669 posts
195 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I wouldn’t dismiss the trap idea. At the very least, give it a try. They trap bears, so some kind of large traps are available. I suggest giving your local SPCA/Animal control/ Wildlife Conservationists people a call for some direction/advice. Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
So far, the trail cam hasnt picked up anything, except my cats wandering around and us walking in front of it.

Funny part is there has been some remarking in spots. So Im not sure if something comes in that fast and leaves before the trail cam kicks in

And as well, the neighbours dogs is wandering into my yard still. Everytime I go to get a camera or my phones, it takes off
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
Well confirmed it is a cat, but not ours. Have a few pictures of our cats lounging in a chair with this one just hanging out. Night pictures show the hot tub clean, then it shows up, then marked. Its also marked the front door to our house now, and I bet some other spots we just haven't noticed.

So time for a skunk trap and some bait and then take it to SPCA or wherever. Ive talked to the neighbours and non seem to have any grey cats. I couldn't tell the colour at night, but now with the day pictures its defintly grey.

Being out here, cats wander. Hell ours do to, but our male is fixed and so is our female. Marking things outside here and there, I can live with. But now that's its doors and this, and the smell that comes from it, time to put an end to it
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8539 posts
538 upvotes
SK
Finally caught it, wasn't anyones cat, but a feral cat, and huge. Must of decided that this place was nice and made it his. Anyway took it to the local shelter as they take feral cats and left it at that. I wondered why my cats weren't doing anything to him, as they usualy fight and chase away other cats. They must of known it wasn't a tame cat.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
mau_mau wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:07 pm
Cayenne pepper
Is this legal ... Today I had three dogs pee on my lawn within a matter of 15 minutes. It's pretty gross.
Jan 4, 2010
261 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
coolspot wrote:
May 5th, 2018 8:41 pm
Is this legal ... Today I had three dogs pee on my lawn within a matter of 15 minutes. It's pretty gross.
Why wouldn't be. Your lawn will just smell like cayenne pepper, won't hurt the dog.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7802 posts
477 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:48 pm
Install electric fence, problem solved.
Cheaper and easier solution is to post some photos from Yulin Dog Meat Festival. The dogs will not want to mark that territory lol Face With Tears Of Joy🤣Face With Tears Of Joy