Shopping Discussion

How to STOP generic addressed Junk mail from Bell, Rogers ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2016 6:28 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: I should point out that CanadaHelps is a registered charity itself, though it is true that CC companies will make interchange fees. But the only way to avoid this is by cash or cheque (edit: or pre-authorized bank debit). Too inconvenient for me IMO.
That "inconvenience" reduces the amount they can use for good work by ~3% by increasing their total admin costs. In addition, because your tax receipt includes those fees, the tax payers of Canada are indirectly subsidizing the CC companies. That may or may not concern donors. I mention it only because I doubt most have ever considered it.
I am not sure what the second issue has to do with CanadaHelps - the whole point is you can withhold your information so you don't get spammed. And if charities spend a lot on marketing or will spam other people, then just don't give them money by any means. I use a unique e-mail address for CanadaHelps and it also has never received any spam.
Charities who spam donors (by e-mail, direct mail, telemarketing, etc.) are spending donors' funds (again aided and abetted by taxpayers of Canada) on activities other than what those donors intended. Smaller charities and selected larger charities, who take their mandates more seriously, don't tend to spam. So IMO a more effective way to reduce spam than using CanadaHelps to donate anonymously is to more carefully choose which charities to support in the first place. Again this may or may not resonate with everyone. But it's an option to consider.

[I used to support the Canadian Red Cross. But they're among the worst spammers. A month doesn't go by without a mailing from them. Usually those include tchotchkes like cheap pens (that often don't even work...) That costs them considerable fundraising money. It's my money that doesn't go to where it's really needed. So I've switched my support to Mennonite Central Committee. They do much of the same sort of disaster-relief work as CRC but are more frugal and more dedicated.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2012
2539 posts
2332 upvotes
Tore On Toe
i just filled out the contact us form on theire website and provided my mailing info and requested they confirm reciept of my request and advise when it will be compelted and when it has been completed...waiting ..

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.porta ... anguage=en
---
As an AI language model, I cannot generate inappropriate or offensive content.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2012
2539 posts
2332 upvotes
Tore On Toe
Heres what they told me:

Hello Kilobomb,

Thank you for your email correspondence, my name is XXXX from the Rogers
Management Office in XXXX. We appreciate you taking the time to
share your concerns in regards to the marketing materials you are
receiving. I understand how new product launch advertisements can be
overwhelming, and would be more than happy to assist you in opting out.

As you are not currently a customer of Rogers there are 2 types of
advertisements you may be receiving; Personalized Mail and Neighbourhood
Mail. If your concern is with mail sent by Rogers that is addressed
specifically to you than this is considered Personalized Mail and we
will require some additional information to assist you.

Please provide:
First and Last Name on the envelope
Exact Address on the envelope
Specific Details of the mail received

Once we receive this information it will take up to 10 days to complete
the opt-out process internally.

You may also find it helpful to know that you can remove your name and
address from all business mailing lists. To stop the delivery of all
Personalized Mail items, including catalogues, coupons, and sample
mailers, ask the following organizations to delete your name and address
from their mailing lists.

Canadian Marketing Association
Do Not Contact Service
1 Concorde Gate Suite 607
Don Mills ON M3C 3N6
CANADA

Or you can complete this online by visiting:

https://cornerstonewebmedia.com/cma/submit.asp .

To remove your name and address from Canada Post's database by visiting:
https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/person ... /default.j
sf

If you require additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact
our Customer Care at 1-888-764-3771 or via Live Chat at
www.rogershelp.com/chat Monday to Sunday from 7AM – Midnight EST or
reply back to this e-mail.

Thank You,
XXXXXX
Rogers Management Office
Submission ID: XXXXX---XXXXXXX
---
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
This won't do a thing. Notice how he conveniently uses the phrase "addressed specifically to you", which means YOUR NAME. Doesn't mean they won't continue to spam you with junk addressed to "Resident" or "Occupant".
The CMA form won't do anything for you either, that's as useless as the do-not-call list. And let's look at that from another angle -- Robbers' strategy there is, let's try to get you to block our competitors too, not just us.
On principle I'm fine with Bell, Wind, and anybody else advertising to me by snail mail. I just don't want the Robbers (nor Fido, or Chatr, nor...) in my face anymore. 3 times a week is ridiculous. And think about it, that shows you where they're wasting money on. Rather than on improving service....

Maybe try filling out this form with the feds:

https://services.priv.gc.ca/q-s/allez-g ... c6210dee51

If enough people fill this out the feds SHOULD at least send the addresses of the complainants on to Robbers. If the crap continues into the new year, follow up with this:

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/report-a-conc ... -business/
Banned
Oct 15, 2016
101 posts
55 upvotes
^ . Yup it won't do a thing.

See how they are just passing the buck to someone else. They already know people are registered with these anti- spam and anti- junk sites, but these sites take your first name and last name..hence they have found a delibrate way around it.

Rogers, Bell send you junk mail with the name " Occupant " , " Resident " instead of your first name and/or last name. None of the above is going to stop that.

1. Putting a No junk mail/ ad mail or Red dot on your post box doesn't stop it, as they put your address on it, so postie has to deliver it. Its not unaddressed junk mail they send, but addressed junk mail just to get around the No junk mail sign on your box.

2. Registering with the above sites also doesn't stop it as they put " Resident " , " Occupant " on the junk mail, not your name on it. The above sites only stop it, if junk mail is sent in your name with your address on it.

The only way it will stop is if Bell, Rogers block it in their own data base , no third party stuff will or can stop it. You putting a no junk mail sign won't stop it either.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
somebody needs to do a Video on this, collect all the junk mail from Robbers and Bhell, fill up some totes and post video online showing HOW MUCH PAPER IS WASTED and bla bla bla

maybe that'll stop em, shaming them into respecting environment, etc and not to waste paper
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2012
2539 posts
2332 upvotes
Tore On Toe
..so they wrote back and have submitted the named and addressed letters to be removed from future mailings.
For the the 'unadressed' one (Resident) they claim i need to contact CANADAPOST, however it has an address on it written on a letter inside the envelope,sealed by Rogers.
I dont belive Canada post is preparing these and inserting them since they are addressed. I've written back to ask them to clarify as Canada Posts 'Neighbourhood Mail (which they claim i need to contact to stop the mail) is a program formerally called 'Unaddressed AdMail'. which clearly is addressed to an address.
..we'll see.

at somepoint these 'resident' letters may get tapped to a brick and 'returned to sender'...Angry Face
---
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
The mail is addressed so it has to be delivered..Householders, flyers, unadressed admail, junk mail has now been renamed to neighbourhood mail..I am sure they spent thousands on consultants for the name change.
They now have personalized mail, so the no flyer sign won't apply.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)