Computers & Electronics

How to store a hard drive for long term?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2006 12:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3680 posts
266 upvotes

How to store a hard drive for long term?

I
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2586 posts
303 upvotes
Buy a good quality DVD. I doubt it the hard drive will deteriorate afet 5 years or so. I've read that since Hard drives are magnetic, it could be affected by magnetic sources so hard drives are not used for storage coz it might be affected after so many years (50-100???). The best way is to buy a good DVD media (those archiving media the TDK armor or something might be good or some ty's). image your drive, try acronis. Make a couple of copy and store it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
13884 posts
652 upvotes
Markham
keep it grounded
zero humidity
try to minimize any magnetic sources near it
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5576 posts
162 upvotes
I'll tell you what I've done...worked out for me so far...

I threw all of my hard drives in individual anti-static bags and placed them in a drawer of a desk that I no longer used. They sat there for a good few years and when I tried them all recently, there had been no problems with accessing any of the data or with hard drive damage.

There *has* to be a better way to store them...but I had some hard drives in there for like 5 years and I tried them out and they worked...

So worked for me, but if anyone else has better ideas, I'd say go with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Octavius wrote:
Nov 9th, 2006 11:45 am
I'll tell you what I've done...worked out for me so far...

I threw all of my hard drives in individual anti-static bags and placed them in a drawer of a desk that I no longer used. They sat there for a good few years and when I tried them all recently, there had been no problems with accessing any of the data or with hard drive damage.

There *has* to be a better way to store them...but I had some hard drives in there for like 5 years and I tried them out and they worked...

So worked for me, but if anyone else has better ideas, I'd say go with them.
that also worked for me. heck, I still have super old 20 & 40Mb drives from back in the early 90s that work great, after years of sitting in a box in the basement (each in a static bag).
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1420 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
ESD bag, and if you have any of the silica-gel packets from any electronics device, stuff as many as possible in the bag. Put that in a tupperware maybe, I would avoid ziploc bags as it might create static.

I can see pros/cons to storing the drive with the platters parallel or perpendicular to the ground, I doubt it matters much.

I would avoid the vacuum seal thing. As long as your container is air-tight (no dust), and you have silica packets to absorb any humidity, you're fine.
× < >