Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How succesful would it be to open a gun store in toronto?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2011 7:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes

How succesful would it be to open a gun store in toronto?

I just noticed there are not very many gun stores, and was thinking I could sure open a succesful one since they are so few or none to my knowledge. I'd guess I'd have to also have a training facility in order to help people qualify to legally own guns because most people would need the course. but i suspect it could be highly successful, expecially if I open it in a neighbourhood where there is a high demand for guns like maybe Jane and Finch or downtown in a rich area where rich people fear the poor. What do you all think? Sure some people mind find it offensive but to me business is just a way to make money, as long as you are not breaking the law its ok.
27 replies
Jr. Member
Mar 4, 2008
118 posts
3 upvotes
25 years ago Canadian Tire was selling guns and bullets. If there were not restrictions you may find a gun store to each corner of the street. The police is involved on drug trafficking and probably control all the guns store across Canada. So here is government mafia involved with a novice face.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi jungeon, asking strangers on a forum is nowhere close to a replacement for actual market research.

That said, do you really think there's significant untapped market of people who want to own guns but haven't purchased merely because they have to travel too far to get one?

Also as far as i'm aware: handguns are practically illegal for private citizens to carry, and downtown dwellers don't stock up on riflles to protect themselves from vagrants, so yong & finch seems like a poor location.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
RobberBarron wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 10:32 pm
Your idea is not a bad one per se; but your choice of location certainly is. Let's face it: Most of the "Jane&Finch" crowd you're referring to (i.e. stereotypes) are not looking to buy guns that are traceable. They certainly aren't going to a gun shop to buy their wares! You should therefore consider going rural----where folks actually DO have a need for such goods, including well-known hunting locations, north of TO. Anywhere in Toronto itself or the GTA would actually have very limited in success, unless you're affiliated with one of the gun clubs or you know how to do repairs (if you won't have repair services, then don't even waste your time---that's where the need is!).

Regardless though, if you DO plan on opening up such a shop, make sure you're 'connected' with the right folks! Most folks will be deterred from robbing or messing with you if you're protected by one of the top gangs or mob families----otherwise, you're just a sitting duck ready for the pickin'!!!!! In other words, its not just about knowing your customer, but those that aren't interested in paying for your merchandise!!!!! This ain't your local grocery store!!!! ;)
Well you know I watching a documentary on guns in chicago and how they are banned, but gun stores open on the edge of the border cities. Criminals basically send their friends in to buy the guns, or random people and then use those guns. Now obviously I do not intend to break the law, but if you sell guns, like if you sell fancy cars, there is a good chance criminals are going to buy some. Why is repairs where the money is, lots of people have broken guns? I think the Jane and Finch crowd would buy guns.

Well I would not actually run the store myself, I'd probably hire someone else to do the grunt work. I don't think the mob is so stupid to try to rob a gun store, thats a good way to get shot and killed. Actually gun stores have the lowest rate of being robbed of any store. Usually when they are robbed they are robbed at night when no one is there and some nice bullet proof glass, metal bars, alarm system, video cameras, not so easy to rob and probably not worth it when they could rob a bank for a fraction of the effort and get more cash.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
grant wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 9:38 pm
Hi jungeon, asking strangers on a forum is nowhere close to a replacement for actual market research.

That said, do you really think there's significant untapped market of people who want to own guns but haven't purchased merely because they have to travel too far to get one?

Also as far as i'm aware: handguns are practically illegal for private citizens to carry, and downtown dwellers don't stock up on riflles to protect themselves from vagrants, so yong & finch seems like a poor location.
I think many people in toronto would buy guns if there were gun stores around. Sawed offs and semi autos are just as popular in the states among the crowds who like to buy guns, and if they use it for something illegal, not my fault, but its nothing unusual for a us criminal to rob a place with shot gun sawed off, a gun thats semi or fully automatic. Handguns are near illegal but if I sell it to people who tell me they are using it for target practice but then decide to use it to shoot something else it is not my responsibility, its not the most highly ethical view and I know it, but its legal to sell guns and its not your fault what the buyers use it for.

I think more gangsters/wannabes would buy guns from a potential gun store.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
34 upvotes
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever! Opening a gun store is not a dumb idea, but opening one thinking that criminals and poor people will go through the whole licensing/registration process to purchase from you is stupid.

Stop listening to David Miller and the Liberals so you can understand that criminals do not buy their guns from the Basspro shops or Target Sports Centre.

Maybe you should first become a legal firearms owner so you can see the whole process, then come back here and see if it's a good idea.
shaka braddah!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Jane & Finch! Do it there, you'll make a ton of money! This really is a dumb idea, give your head a shake.
Member
User avatar
Apr 1, 2011
219 posts
13 upvotes
Niagara Falls
To answer your questions NO you will not be successful opening a gun shop in Jane/Finch. Get rid of this silly idea and find another way to make money.

Because you will be contributing to the violence that already exist everyone will hate you including mothers and the police. Who would insure you?

Also you will be robbed. Let's imagine your a marksman shooter and manage to kill the robbers also armed with guns. The cops will most likely lock you up.

If you want to start a business that's borderline legal. Start a hydroponics supply business then only the cops will hate you.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1489 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
jungeon wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 10:56 pm
I don't think the mob is so stupid to try to rob a gun store, thats a good way to get shot and killed.
What, you are going to protect your store with a gun in your hands? Are you mad?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
ricoboxing wrote:
Apr 5th, 2011 7:41 am
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever! Opening a gun store is not a dumb idea, but opening one thinking that criminals and poor people will go through the whole licensing/registration process to purchase from you is stupid.

Stop listening to David Miller and the Liberals so you can understand that criminals do not buy their guns from the Basspro shops or Target Sports Centre.

Maybe you should first become a legal firearms owner so you can see the whole process, then come back here and see if it's a good idea.

Ok I see your point, but the concept works very well in America. Do you think those mexican drug dealers go buy the gun themself, nope they send straw buyers, do you think criminals go buy guns themself, nope, they send their friends with licenses to go buy 20 guns and then take it from there. Its not a dumb idea, it may not work in toronto but it works in other places so no an idea that works in basically similar type country/city and thinking of bringing that model there is not a dumb idea.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
srgrant wrote:
Apr 5th, 2011 4:57 pm
To answer your questions NO you will not be successful opening a gun shop in Jane/Finch. Get rid of this silly idea and find another way to make money.

Because you will be contributing to the violence that already exist everyone will hate you including mothers and the police. Who would insure you?

Also you will be robbed. Let's imagine your a marksman shooter and manage to kill the robbers also armed with guns. The cops will most likely lock you up.

If you want to start a business that's borderline legal. Start a hydroponics supply business then only the cops will hate you.
WE aare talking about financially succesful, not spiritually or other ways.

I don't see how it is a silly idea any more than opening any other type of store.

I will not contribute to violence unless I pick up gun and start shooting people or if I give instructions to criminals to go and commit a specific crime. Police hate everyone who is not a police. Mothers should control their children and guns don't kill people, dummies with guns do.

Would not really need insurance, could be useful but insurance companies give insurance to other gun stores and I'm sure I could find someone willing to insure, its not really a business that needs insurance. You buy a few guns, put them on a rack or whatever the law requires, buy some bullets for the guns. Really you just need to buy 10-20 guns, don't even have to be working models, and have them for display purposes and people decide what they like order it and pay and then come pick it up when it arrives.

O yes the moment I open my business the robbers will run in and say gimme all your money and run away with an empty cash register. Honestly, how few businesses in Jane and finch get out right robbed, not many because a bank is a better target and they are the most robbed places-cash is already out. In fact in some areas I seen robbers run straight into the vault and run right out with hand full of cash. There would not even be anything worth robbing because it is entirely possible to run a gun store with only model guns on display that do not even work. Maybe 10 guns sold a week at about $1000 a piece so thats how much you might have in the back behind the bullet proof glass. Worst case scenario you can hire a security guard and I don't know if you realized but you can't go 5 minutes in Jane and finch without seeing a cop car. I've only ever got 1 speeding ticket in my life and it was there and I speed everywhere.

As for your point about shooting robbers, well I'd have other protection like security and bullet proof glass and model guns on display only so I would not have to get into shoting or being shot but if it did come to a shoot out, I have more and better guns because I am the gun dealer and all I have to claim is self defense because if 2 guys run into my store with guns it is reasonable to believe they will shoot you and kill you. And I don't think any jury is going to care if two scumbag criminals got shot while trying to rob someone, never mind I don't see the ag trying to charge me for shooting two criminals who annoy them A good lawyer and you should not even go to trial.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
slavka012 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2011 5:54 pm
What, you are going to protect your store with a gun in your hands? Are you mad?

No I will protect it with my stick in my feet
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
1586 posts
4126 upvotes
jungeon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2011 5:10 pm
Ok I see your point, but the concept works very well in America. Do you think those mexican drug dealers go buy the gun themself, nope they send straw buyers, do you think criminals go buy guns themself, nope, they send their friends with licenses to go buy 20 guns and then take it from there. Its not a dumb idea, it may not work in toronto but it works in other places so no an idea that works in basically similar type country/city and thinking of bringing that model there is not a dumb idea.


Read your own quote.. it works well in AMERICA and the last time I checked we weren't that.

Why don't you go visit a few guns stores and ask them how things are working out for them, I would assume they are doing alright but wouldn't make a difference if you were located in the outskirts or within the city.

Why don't you open up your shop across the border, I sure business would be bangin' :twisted:

Top