None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1263 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga

How to be successful at workplace?

I am 23 years old and I am currently working in downtown toronto earning 20$/h. The job is related to my field accounting and I graduated in Dec with an Advanced Diploma in Accounting and started working in Jan 2012.

Now my dream is to reach six figures as quickly as possible. Like before I turn 30. Is it possible? How much hard work is required to achieve success? What did u guys do to prosper at workplace?

I would appreciate if people here who were once in my position and are now very successful to provide me with some tips.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4854 posts
1016 upvotes
1. Be good at what you do (dont have to be the best)
2. Get noticed for it
3. Walk into a local Chapters and head over to the business / self-improvement section and pick up anyone of the thousands of books on this topic ........ the underlying themes are generally all the same
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4895 upvotes
Brampton
Get your CA or CMA as quickly as possible.

You'll be closer to 80k a year soon after. Then rinse and repeat the do a good job and get noticed for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1263 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote:
Apr 7th, 2012 12:47 pm
Get your CA or CMA as quickly as possible.

You'll be closer to 80k a year soon after. Then rinse and repeat the do a good job and get noticed for it.

I am currently doing my CGA. Since I am working full time. I am taking one CGA course per semester. So it could easily take me 3-4 years to complete my CGA considering I have to do Laurentian University courses as well to obtain a degree.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4895 upvotes
Brampton
saadt1988 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2012 12:49 pm
I am currently doing my CGA. Since I am working full time. I am taking one CGA course per semester. So it could easily take me 3-4 years to complete my CGA considering I have to do Laurentian University courses as well to obtain a degree.

That's a good start. I know a few others who went the CMA + MBA + Full time work at Laurier.

See if you can accelerate it. I knew a few people who are doing more than 1 a term. It's a struggle.

Edit: Sorry I thought I read Laurier in your post.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8685 posts
1043 upvotes
Being successful is not a science, but more of an art. There is no guarantee.

Maybe the boss like someone else better than you. Then the guy even if he is less qualified, less hard working, getting notice more even if they are completely dumb can move up faster than you.

A guy who is best qualified, hard working, and only get notice for doing wrong things will not get anywhere. The boss might be bias and don't like him, so he is not moving up no matter what he does.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1263 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
spike1128 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2012 12:58 pm
Being successful is not a science, but more of an art. There is no guarantee.

Maybe the boss like someone else better than you. Then the guy even if he is less qualified, less hard working, getting notice more even if they are completely dumb can move up faster than you.

A guy who is best qualified, hard working, and only get notice for doing wrong things will not get anywhere. The boss might be bias and don't like him, so he is not moving up no matter what he does.

So whats the solution to this problem? My boss likes me but the problem is that my job is a contract job. So I am not sure whether I will be staying here for long.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4621 posts
1663 upvotes
I might have got a little angry at you in another thread, so hopefully you don't just skip this post.

I think it is very good you are heading towards designation. That should be your main goal, once you get to that level you will already have some form of success.

For now, just work hard and learn the ins and outs of doing accounting work. Don't get stuck doing the same job everyday until you finish your CGA. Why? Because you should get exposed to different tasks.

I know a number of people who barely squeaked by, planned to get some form of designation, but for some reason settled for a job that wasn't that difficult.

Perhaps you just want an easy job, but since you want to be successful, you have to do more than average.

Good luck and you should feel somewhat glad that you are in a contract position.

If you do well, perhaps the company will take you on permanently, if not you can always look for another.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 19, 2009
124 posts
8 upvotes
degree/designation or anything that builds your resume to get the job.
social skills to move up the ladder.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1263 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
hybridfx2 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2012 9:07 pm
degree/designation or anything that builds your resume to get the job.
social skills to move up the ladder.

So if im shy and quiet with designation and very good skills. I wont move up the ladder?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
saadt1988 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2012 9:38 am
So if im shy and quiet with designation and very good skills. I wont move up the ladder?
Nope.
renoldman wrote:
Apr 8th, 2012 8:05 am

I think it is very good you are heading towards designation. That should be your main goal, once you get to that level you will already have some form of success.
[...].
Designations aren't a goal, they are par for the course.

OP, go read a book called Winning by Jack Welch.
He breaks down the qualities in star workers quite well. Quick summary:
1) Energy - Positive energy
2) Ability to Energize
3) Edge - ability to make tough calls
4) Execution - ability to get things done
5) Passion - gotta love what you do, the people, the job, the corporation etc.

The simple fact is that education, skills, ability etc. are simply expected. You won't even get in the front door without these things. But once you are in, none of that matters.
This isn't to say that a quiet mouse won't get far, but they will have to work much harder than the guy who's got the same abilities but is also an outspoken individual.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
Shameless social butterflying + being at least decent at your job will get you FAR.