• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 1:31 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24577 posts
4831 upvotes

How to tell if cheque is in USD or CAD?

I searched and found some threads dealing with depositing USD cheques in Canada but didn't see any mention of how to tell what currency a cheque is in.

I recently received a rebate cheque and I suspect it is in USD but I'm not sure if there's any way to tell. The rebate was offered in both US and Canada but the cheque comes from the US regardless of where you claim. The rebate promo pages/forms also never mention currency.

The cheque I received is from a US bank from the looks of it (came from US, the payee is from MI, and the bank is Comerica Bank). But it just says the dollar amount and no mention of currency. I suspect had I claimed the rebate in the US, I would have received the exact same cheque, so I think it has to be in USD, no?

Is there any way to tell from the cheque what the currency is in, or is it assumed if it's drawn from a US bank and says nothing about currency that it's in USD?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3948 posts
1699 upvotes
From US bank then it’s $US
Jul 28, 2012
955 posts
351 upvotes
Montreal
Another way of checking (no pun intended) is to look at the format of the encoding line at the bottom.

(Source: Digitalcheck.com)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2372 posts
957 upvotes
Raincouver
check/cheque is always in DOMESTIC currency unless specified.

you got your answer
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1519 posts
1028 upvotes
Canada
If u rub it and it turned blue you know its USD. If red genie its CAD.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24577 posts
4831 upvotes
Cool thanks guys, matches up with all the stuff saying it is in USD :) Now can I just straight up cash this at my bank for the money in USD or will I need a USD account for that? I mean instead of having to convert it to CAD and having the bank take "their cut" for the conversion.
Jul 22, 2019
76 posts
50 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 8:15 pm
Cool thanks guys, matches up with all the stuff saying it is in USD :) Now can I just straight up cash this at my bank for the money in USD or will I need a USD account for that? I mean instead of having to convert it to CAD and having the bank take "their cut" for the conversion.
They give you the spot rate of conversion at the moment. I think they also hold the cheques for a couple of weeks until it clears. If you put it in USD account should be fine
Jul 13, 2007
748 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 8:15 pm
In my experience, it depends on how nicely you ask.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)