• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2006 6:19 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 15, 2003
691 posts
1 upvote

How to tell if the suit is expensive?

Well my boss is making shtloads of $ but his suit is very simple looking.........
what to look for to identify expensive suits?

also what to look for when buying a good quality suit?
which brands?
around $$$?
ridin high, livin free
11 replies
Jun 11, 2006
427 posts
North York. Toronto
Does he wear the same suit everyday?
Does his suit fit him properly?
Does he show cuff? Is his suit canvassed?
Is the there good lining inside the suit?

Expensive suits are usually bespoke, and those suits are usually $2000+. If his suits fits him perfectly and is constucted well, then it is expensive. Brand matters too (to a point), but pedestrian suit makers like Armani, Z Zegna, Boss... are nothing compared to suit makers like Brioni or Shanghai tailors. Go try to look for a tag, or a initals on buttons etc...
Nov 30, 2004
757 posts
1 upvote
I agree with hugejazz...

Another good way to tell is the fit and the way the suit moves when he moves. A suit that is well made moves with the body. But this is not always reflective of the amount he spent on it. Expensive off the rack suits usually don't fit well but uses good fabric that moves well.

For an off the rack, I would recommend Armani ($1.5k~$2k).
Minimum fit for the jacket should be shoulders, chest, back, and waist. If you have an option, bespoke is the way to go.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4498 posts
158 upvotes
Vancity
For off the rack, avoid name brands like Hugo Boss, Armani, etc. They're all fused and low quality, akin to the $500 Kenneth Cole, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein you find at Sears, except with a 100% markup for the brand name.

For more 'mainstream' high end quality suits try something like Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali, Corneliani, Brioni, Isaia etc.

The main thing between cheaply made and higher end suits is Fused vs. Full-Canvas. Fused suits are glued, and so they appear stiff and do not flow as well. Full Canvas suits are stitched, and the inner linings are not glued together, thus it drapes on your body better, providing a better fit and look.

Determining quality in a suit only by sight is quite difficult and takes a trained and experienced eye. Its the small minute details that set apart cheaply made suits from the quality suits.

Read up on forums such as AskAndyAboutClothes.com and Styleforum.net
Jun 11, 2006
427 posts
North York. Toronto
sonick wrote:
Nov 13th, 2006 7:25 pm
For off the rack, avoid name brands like Hugo Boss, Armani, etc. They're all fused and low quality, akin to the $500 Kenneth Cole, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein you find at Sears
Not all are fused. Not all are low quality, there are some canvassed Armani's, and the old HB top of the line suits are also canvassed.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4498 posts
158 upvotes
Vancity
True, but I would think the majority of the HB/Armani suits they sell at Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen are.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9361 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga
Apparently, Zara suits are full-canvas.
Jun 11, 2006
427 posts
North York. Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 13th, 2006 10:57 pm
apparently not... I have a fused one
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4045 posts
12 upvotes
Cambridge
One thing I look for is the inside breast pocket opening to be cut into the cloth of the lapel. Sounds weird to describe but if you look inside the jacket you will see what I mean. If you wear one that has it and one that doesn't you'll see the difference in the way the front hangs on your chest.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4498 posts
158 upvotes
Vancity
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 13th, 2006 10:57 pm
Not all. There was a line of higher end Zara suits in Summer that were full canvassed with working buttonholes. I don't believe they had it for the fall/winter, at least I haven't seen it.
Mar 5, 2006
109 posts
2 upvotes
Woodbridge
if you want to know how expensive suits can go

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/

go here, me and a bunch of friends checked it out the first time damn everything thre is expensive, we even checked out this one suit $4000.00 geez too expensive for me.
Jun 11, 2006
427 posts
North York. Toronto
gforce0124 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2006 5:05 pm
if you want to know how expensive suits can go

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/

go here, me and a bunch of friends checked it out the first time damn everything thre is expensive, we even checked out this one suit $4000.00 geez too expensive for me.
Thats not even close to expensive... expensive suits happen when people make them to fit your body size. Key word there is 'make', they don't take an existing suit and tailor it to fit you; they take fabric and they make the suit from scratch for you.
× < >