• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2010 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2010
241 posts
1 upvote

How to track private calls?

Is there a way to track private calls? i am getting so many annoying calls everyday, especially at like 3am to my house phone numerous times. When i pick up they usually say nothing, or whistle and make stupid noises. Is there a way i can trace these private calls without calling the cops? I know some of you might tell me to call my phone provider and tell them to block private calls, but i don't want to do that because alot of overseas calls for my family come in blocked, so i cannot avoid those calls. I'm getting prank calls to cell phone as well, and i got the iphone, is there any app atleast that can trace private calls? I just want to find out the # of the person that is calling. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Share:
30 replies
Apr 10, 2009
577 posts
16 upvotes
The most you can do is trace it each time. You wont get the actual number, but once you do it enough times, you can file a formal police report, and they can use those trace reports to track down whoever. Keep in mind, tracing costs money. That plus I dunno how much they'd care for just a "simple" prank like whistling or keeping quiet on the phone.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2010
241 posts
1 upvote
Is there a way i can call back the last person that called me even if its in private? because someone was telling me last year something about dialing *66 and it will call back the last person that called you, even if that person called in private. I'm not sure though, anyone heard about anything like this?
Mar 12, 2008
985 posts
18 upvotes
This happened to my bro. Kept getting prank calls. Police told him to blow a whistle into the phone. He never did, but the calls eventually stopped anyway.

Don't talk to them, just hang up. They feed off of any response.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1431 posts
8 upvotes
LordofthePing wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 1:17 am
This happened to my bro. Kept getting prank calls. Police told him to blow a whistle into the phone. He never did, but the calls eventually stopped anyway.

Don't talk to them, just hang up. They feed off of any response.
+1

My dad used to get prank calls on his cellphone. The dude thought he could annoy my father by calling him 3am in the morning, but my dad is often at his home office working at that time and it didn't bothered him much. In fact, my dad would sometimes asked him why he didn't call the previous morning if he skipped a day or two.

My dad didn't seem to care about the phone bills, but my mom was annoyed and she tried many things to get this dude to stop: including grabbing my dad's phone to yell at him, but that had only entertained him, which was a terrible idea. My mom also called the police and the police basically said there is nothing they can do about it.

But prank calls suddenly stopped one day when my dad was visiting a factory which was testing jet engines and the dude decided to call. My dad wanted to let his 10 year "friend" hear what a 140db jet engine sounds like so he walked towards an engine an held up the phone to the air. Since then, the calls had stopped. I was surprised at this result because I thought the telephone will automatically tone down any sound that you play over the line. But apparently not.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
u can tell the cops that the prankster made threatening comments to you. Did that to one of my now Ex-Friend, dumb@$$ brought it upon himself. Although he couldn't prove that he didn't made threaten comments during the prank calls. But the fact is he did made those prank calls, he got fined couple of hundred dollar.

:lol:
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
[OP]
Feb 22, 2010
241 posts
1 upvote
darkprince wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 4:29 am
u can tell the cops that the prankster made threatening comments to you. Did that to one of my now Ex-Friend, dumb@$$ brought it upon himself. Although he couldn't prove that he didn't made threaten comments during the prank calls. But the fact is he did made those prank calls, he got fined couple of hundred dollar.

:lol:
lol oh really? but what if the cops find out that the prankster didn't make any threatening comments, wouldn't i get in big ****?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5276 posts
898 upvotes
???
tdotraptors wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 10:40 am
lol oh really? but what if the cops find out that the prankster didn't make any threatening comments, wouldn't i get in big ****?
You should probably read what he wrote again.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3288 posts
293 upvotes
I think there's alway a way to trace the calls or else the cop won't be able to do this. It's just a matter of whether the phone company is willing to do this. However some calls are originated from pay phones. And I think it'll be even harder to trace an oversea call.

For me I got a set of Panasonic phones that I can set up to silent all calls within a window of time set.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Mar 7, 2009
780 posts
11 upvotes
Call Trace

For those serious obscene or harassing calls.

This service makes it possible to have Bell record the telephone number of a harassing, obscene or threatening call. Call Trace service should be used in serious situations only. If you use this service, you should be prepared to contact the police and have the caller charged. Bell Canada will only release the traced number with proper legal authorization, ONLY TO THE POLICE (you will not be advised of the caller’s number). Available where facilities exist.

There is a charge of $5.00 for each successful use of Call Trace service up to a maximum of $10.00 per month per line. The charge applies whether or not the traced number is requested by the police. Using Call Trace service does not guarantee that the Police will accept your case or follow up on a Call Trace request.

How to use Call Trace service:

Hang up after receiving the threatening or harassing call. Lift the receiver and press *57 (or dial 1157 on rotary phones). A voice announcement will tell you whether the call was traced successfully. Hang up.

Hints & Tips

* Call Trace service works only on the last incoming call. If you receive another call or a Call Waiting or Visual Call Waiting beep before you use Call Trace service, the number of the last call or the waiting call will be traced instead of the threatening call.
* Call Trace service works on blocked calls.
* The number of the caller recorded by Bell will be released on to the police if they request it.

I did it, it works, they caught the guy and took him to court. These people are for sure doing it to other people and if someone doesn't stand up and stop them they will keep doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7029 posts
665 upvotes
GTA
tdotraptors wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 1:09 am
Is there a way i can call back the last person that called me even if its in private? because someone was telling me last year something about dialing *66 and it will call back the last person that called you, even if that person called in private. I'm not sure though, anyone heard about anything like this?
Your only option is what Heynow999 posted. They can be traced but the number will only be released to the police. Last call return is *69 and for a fee you can hear the last number that called you and be able to call it back. However this is no different than call display. If the number is private or blocked *69 will not reveal the number.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1184 posts
71 upvotes
If it's a prank call, hook your phone line to a fax machine before you go to bed, and unhook it in the morning
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2318 posts
229 upvotes
Ajax
Just get Rogers home phone and block all private numbers.

Bell may have this service too.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1923 posts
76 upvotes
Unfortunately that call trace technique wouldn't work if the prankster was using Skype, or MagicJack, or even a payphone.

Who calls from their personal line anyways? If I really wanted to piss someone off I would use magic jack and/or skype UNTRACEABLE to the ballz.

And as for the IP, their are many proxies and vpn's out there, aswell as wifi hotspots.

Now this is to the OP, if you don't want to block private calls due to overseas family members calling you, I suggest you make your overseas family call your iphone and have it forwarded to your house phone that way when your house phone rings you will see your cell phone number pop up and you know its them.

Either that or have them call your cell phone directly anyways.

EDIT: And thats what happens when you give out your number to random strangers on CL
× < >