Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes

How to update the Android box?

Just received the box from ******** and it comes with Android 4.4.2 which is not compatible to vChannel app that I want to install. Could someone advice how I can upgrade it to Lollipop? I tried clicking system update from setting, it said it fails to connect to server agent or something.....

By the way, I have other Android sticks which I bought half a year ago and I think they are all on Kitkat but for some reasons I was able to install the vChannel on them and still using. Maybe vChannel recently upgraded the app on Google Play Store.

Thanks for any advice.
19 replies
Jan 24, 2007
477 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
What brand/model did you buy? Chinese android boxes tend not to get any OS updates.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2063 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
You can google for older versions of vchannel and manually install on your android box.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7059 posts
1238 upvotes
You should have no problem installing the current version of vChannel on KitKat, the latest version of vChannel is v1.2 from sometime in 2014 !
You are doing something wrong if you can't !
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
Your Android box uses the Media Box launcher, which is unsupported free software. The System Update function on the Settings menu of Media Box links to the site https://www.otaupdatecenter.pro/ to search for an Android ROM update. However the Android ROM used by your cheap unsupported Chinese clone box is not registered there, and therefore no update will be found, resulting in the misspelled error message from Media Box: "Update failed!Check your OTA Servier Argent".

No official Android updates will ever be made available for your cheap unsupported Chinese clone box. Your only hope is to find a ROM for a later version of Android running on the exact same hardware. This is very difficult and risky, and would most likely result in bricking your box from an incompatible ROM flash.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
d0rksterr wrote:
Jan 13th, 2016 11:58 pm
What brand/model did you buy? Chinese android boxes tend not to get any OS updates.
This is the one I ordered. Yes, I notice none of those no brand boxes I have can be updated from the default "Update" setting. Thus, I was wondering if there is another easy way to upgrade the OS.
http://www.********.com/tv-box/pp_13669.html
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 12:24 am
You should have no problem installing the current version of vChannel on KitKat, the latest version of vChannel is v1.2 from sometime in 2014 !
You are doing something wrong if you can't !
All I did was searching vChannel app from Play Store, and there is only one there. As soon as I click on it, it says my Android device is not compatible to the app. By the way, I have two other Android sticks below which also come with KitKat and I had no problem installing the vChannel on it.

http://www.********.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
Yes, "Update failed!Check your OTA Servier Argent" is exactly what I saw when I clicked on update from all those Chinese Android boxes I have. Anyway, as mentioned on my other replies, I have two other devices with KitKat and using vChannel. So, not sure why it says it is not compatible. I just need to figure it out and I might not need to upgrade the OS.

JamesA1 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 12:40 am
Your Android box uses the Media Box launcher, which is unsupported free software. The System Update function on the Settings menu of Media Box links to the site https://www.otaupdatecenter.pro/ to search for an Android ROM update. However the Android ROM used by your cheap unsupported Chinese clone box is not registered there, and therefore no update will be found, resulting in the misspelled error message from Media Box: "Update failed!Check your OTA Servier Argent".

No official Android updates will ever be made available for your cheap unsupported Chinese clone box. Your only hope is to find a ROM for a later version of Android running on the exact same hardware. This is very difficult and risky, and would most likely result in bricking your box from an incompatible ROM flash.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
If either of your other devices is rooted, try looking in /data/app to see if you have an existing vChannel apk that works with 4.4.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3101 posts
2514 upvotes
Markham
rdx wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 8:43 am
All I did was searching vChannel app from Play Store, and there is only one there. As soon as I click on it, it says my Android device is not compatible to the app. By the way, I have two other Android sticks below which also come with KitKat and I had no problem installing the vChannel on it.

http://www.********.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html
Download vchannel apk directly to a USB thumb drive.
Insert the thumb drive into your android box to install vchannel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
If I find the site to download, can I just download it directly the internal memory of the Android box instead of an USB stick and install from there ? What is the difference of downloading externally ?
drdtyc wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 3:07 pm
Download vchannel apk directly to a USB thumb drive.
Insert the thumb drive into your android box to install vchannel.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7059 posts
1238 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 3:23 pm
If I find the site to download, can I just download it directly the internal memory of the Android box instead of an USB stick and install from there ? What is the difference of downloading externally ?
Yes you can, but I like using an USB stick as well. If you move the file to the internal SD card, you will have to delete the file again or it will take up your internal memory space.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
Whatever works. You're just trying to find a version of the app that runs successfully on 4.4.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17171 posts
23694 upvotes
ONTARIO
rdx wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 3:23 pm
Yes you can. In fact that's probably the only way you're going to be able to get it on your box if downloading from the Play Store is a no go.

Any APK downloader site should have copies of the app you want.

Try downloading this one:
http://apk-dl.com/vchannel

Sideload it to your device and see if it installs properly.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
Just an update. I was able to download the vChannel on the internal storage and installed from there. Thanks everyone.

Just a side note, I found lot of apps in the Play Store are not compatible to Kitkat. But I realize lot of Android devices in the market right now are still on Kitkat.