Travel

How is US border crossing near Gananoque (e of Kingston)?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2012 9:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto

How is US border crossing near Gananoque (e of Kingston)?

There is the US border crossing at Selton (very little town), east of Gananoque (or Kingston), Ont. Has anyone crossed the border here, and how is the traffic, wait time, at the end of a weekend?

Specifically I'm thinking Sun. July 5, coming back from the US. Wonder if it's much faster to cross here compared to the Buffalo area.

Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3239 posts
51 upvotes
I thought there was problems at that one, due to the crackdown on smuggled cigarettes...but I could be totally wrong
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
16 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2009 3:53 pm
There is the US border crossing at Selton (very little town), east of Gananoque (or Kingston), Ont. Has anyone crossed the border here, and how is the traffic, wait time, at the end of a weekend?

Specifically I'm thinking Sun. July 5, coming back from the US. Wonder if it's much faster to cross here compared to the Buffalo area.

Thanks.
Sure, handles much of the Ottawa traffic and believe me there is not much compared to the 3 border crossings in the Niagara/Buffalo area.

It is a 2 laned highway across the bridge from US all the way to 401, so you can imagine.

There aren't that many canada customs lanes going into Canada either ..

Most is maybe 1/2 hr ...
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
1863 posts
135 upvotes
If you're talking about the Thousand Island Bridge Crossing, it is pretty much a breeze as compare to your other border crossing. Though, there is a toll to pay to go over the bridge. I think it is $2.75 each way.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
William W wrote:
Jun 24th, 2009 8:54 am
If you're talking about the Thousand Island Bridge Crossing, it is pretty much a breeze as compare to your other border crossing. Though, there is a toll to pay to go over the bridge. I think it is $2.75 each way.
There is a toll at other crossings too.

I don't know if this is called the Thousand Island Bridge Crossing. But it is close to Gananoque/1000-island. When was the last time you used this crossing? I guess I should try to find out if there is any disruption on this crossing, due to some people's mention of native protests closing a crossing around there. If it's open, I'm going to try it this time.
Jul 23, 2003
829 posts
4 upvotes
Lindsay
easy crossing...even on a sunday..much better than buffalo...
RFD importer of 2007 Nissan Maxima..savings of 14k
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to try this crossing this time. At least after this I will know what's at this one, and the roads to I81 going to Syracuse.

Thanks for the comments.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
29 upvotes
?

There are 3 major crossings in Eastern Ontario, and one small seasonal one.

They are:

Canada Side / US Side

POE Lansdowne ON / POE Alexandria Bay NY:
-Also known as Thousands Islands Bridge.. connects Hill Island ON with Wellsley Island NY.
-Connects 401 with US I-81.

The "town" at the crossing is technically Lansdowne/Mallorytown.. not Selton. Lansdowne is barely a town.. Selton definetly isn't. Hell, I've never heard of anyone refer to it as the Selton crossing. Ivy Lea maybe..

This crossing is one of the top 10 busiest in Canada.. lineups on long weekends and the like can stretch into the 2 hour range.

POE Prescott ON / POE Ogdensburg NY
-Smaller volume port, lineups traditionally don't exist here, but due to Cornwall closure more traffic to be had.

POE Cornwall ON / POE Massena NY

-Closed due to Mohawk protest of armed border officers.

And the small seasonal port:

POE Wolfe Island ON / POE Cape Vincent NY

-Connects Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island via small ferry.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
The border crossing at Cape Vincent to US was very quick, only a small customs booth.

Coming back the border crossing into Canada, at Thousand Island, at 5:30pm on Sun July 5, was also very quick. Only about 5-6 cars in my line. It was also very scenic around there.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2344 posts
236 upvotes
Ajax
I know it's an old thread, but is there any worthwhile shopping spots on the USA side of this border crossing (1000 islands?) Or is it just Syracuse?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6563 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Kuurgen wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 4:26 pm
I know it's an old thread, but is there any worthwhile shopping spots on the USA side of this border crossing (1000 islands?) Or is it just Syracuse?
Alexandria Bay is a decent place to get out and stretch your legs/grab an icecream.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
260 upvotes
Watertown is alright. However be prepared to be pulled into secondary to pay duties on pretty much everthing.
Apr 20, 2009
265 posts
26 upvotes
Watertown has a lot of big box stores and the Salmon Run Mall has some good deals if you know your prices..
Kuurgen wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 4:26 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10136 posts
1693 upvotes
Kingston
starboy869 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 10:33 pm
Watertown is alright. However be prepared to be pulled into secondary to pay duties on pretty much everthing.
I've only done one crossing there a couple of weeks ago. I said I'd been down to Watertown for the day and they didn't even ask how much I spent ($500) so no HST for me!
And to clarify, "duties" are pretty uncommon, usually it is just HST that is charged.
× < >