• Mar 19th, 2017 10:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
121 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto

How to use eBates?

I see many deals mention ebates, but I haven't found a guide on how to apply them and what they are.

Can anyone point me to something?
29 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17740 posts
2945 upvotes
Thornhill
www.ebates.ca

Basically you go to the eBates site before you buy anything (for example, Amazon), then log in, and you use their link to Amazon to access Amazon, then go through checkout as normal.
Jun 3, 2010
749 posts
145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ebates is a redirector / referrer company. They get money for referring people to websites. Usually, referrers will keep all the money for themselves. In the case of ebates (and some other rebate sites) they give some of the money back to the person doing the shopping.

So to get money back, you MUST:

1) go to your online store THROUGH the link from ebates.ca

2) put items into your cart AFTER you have arrived through the link (that is, don't put stuff into the shopping cart, jump to the ebates.ca site, click on the link to get you back to your online store, then proceed to checkout...DON'T do this...it may not register probably back to ebates.ca)

3) checkout / pay for your items

You will get your rebate only AFTER the goods have been shipped or the event has passed - depending on what you are buying. E.g. Amazon.ca shipped out my items, I get the rebates a few days afterwards, I bought event tickets from Ticketmaster, but I get rebates only AFTER the event has taken place.
Aug 22, 2014
764 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toram23901 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 2:39 pm
ebates is a redirector / referrer company. They get money for referring people to websites. Usually, referrers will keep all the money for themselves. In the case of ebates (and some other rebate sites) they give some of the money back to the person doing the shopping.

2) put items into your cart AFTER you have arrived through the link (that is, don't put stuff into the shopping cart, jump to the ebates.ca site, click on the link to get you back to your online store, then proceed to checkout...DON'T do this...it may not register probably back to ebates.ca)

You will get your rebate only AFTER the goods have been shipped or the event has passed - depending on what you are buying. E.g. Amazon.ca shipped out my items, I get the rebates a few days afterwards, I bought event tickets from Ticketmaster, but I get rebates only AFTER the event has taken place.
Really? I've only bought one Ticketmaster event so far but I already received my cash back. The event isn't until September. The only exception listed on their site is "Ticket orders placed or fulfilled through third-party sites are not eligible for Cash Back."
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13485 posts
4116 upvotes
One thing to note is that ebates may not issue you a credit on items you use another coupon/offer on that was not found on their site. I have had this happen with Lowes before myself, and have read many others mention it. Just something you don't usually learn until AFTER you email them as sometimes you are fine using coupon codes.
Aug 22, 2014
764 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You might want to turn off ad blockers as well in case it screws up tracking.
Jun 3, 2010
749 posts
145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sn00ch wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 2:46 pm
Really? I've only bought one Ticketmaster event so far but I already received my cash back. The event isn't until September. The only exception listed on their site is "Ticket orders placed or fulfilled through third-party sites are not eligible for Cash Back."
I think you are correct...I probably got it mixed up between my plane tickets and the Jays tickets. I remember having bought the tickets months in advance, and having to wait till the event was over before getting the rebate.

In any case, the "fine print" can usually be found at the bottom of the page for the stores on ebates.ca, if not, I find their customer server pretty good at explaining things.
Aug 22, 2014
764 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toram23901 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 9:38 am
sn00ch wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 2:46 pm
I think you are correct...I probably got it mixed up between my plane tickets and the Jays tickets. I remember having bought the tickets months in advance, and having to wait till the event was over before getting the rebate.

In any case, the "fine print" can usually be found at the bottom of the page for the stores on ebates.ca, if not, I find their customer server pretty good at explaining things.
Yeah I know for things like flights, hotels, or car rentals you don't get the rebate until after travel is completed but you should be good for events.

There's also a full list of all store exceptions.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6441 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
I used ebates a couple years when it just came out.

Haven't used it much otherwise.

Tried recently to use it but forgot my password.

Sent email to ebates to help me login and no response.

This was a couple months ago.

Figure if I need to use it, I'll just set up a new account, but not sure if I'll need to cancel the old one to use the same email.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1036 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I always get annoyed finding new cash back options like this and realize I could have saved a ton of money over the years :(
signature removed for rule violations
Aug 22, 2014
764 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pete_rfd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 3:04 am
I always get annoyed finding new cash back options like this and realize I could have saved a ton of money over the years :(
The other popular cash back option is Great Canadian Rebates (GCR). You get $2.50 for signing up and they sometimes have better rates / stores. If an existing user refers someone they "collect 15% of all Cash Back Rebates your referral collects for over the next five years from the time your referral becomes a member." They also pay out every month whereas ebates pays you every quarter.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3019 posts
1179 upvotes
toram23901 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 2:39 pm

Not the same for all websites. For example, Dell rebates are posted in a few hours, usually it's even before your order goes into production.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3019 posts
1179 upvotes
pete_rfd wrote:I always get annoyed finding new cash back options like this and realize I could have saved a ton of money over the years :(
sn00ch wrote:
Aug 16th, 2016 12:18 pm
pete_rfd wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 3:04 am
The other popular cash back option is [url=https://www.********************.ca/]Great Canadian Rebates[/url] (GCR). You get $2.50 for signing up and they sometimes have better rates / stores. If an existing user refers someone they "collect 15% of all Cash Back Rebates your referral collects for over the next five years from the time your referral becomes a member." They also pay out every month whereas ebates pays you every quarter.
GCR is usually better than eBates. For most websites, their cash back percentage is higher, and you get paid monthly (after 45 days for each transaction). Their system is also more stable. Never had to contact them for a missing rebate. eBates is only good if GCR doesn't have that website, or there is a promotion or something (e.g Dell 10-13%, Nike 6-15%, daily/weekly double cash back)
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14154 posts
985 upvotes
They are running a promotion on Dell Canada with an impressive 10% cash back. I know my math is rusty but If I make a purchase on something over $2,000 I'd get back $200 in cold hard cash? They mentioned something on their website about being paid in quarterly. WHat's that about? Are they going to send $50 every 3 months?

The reason I ask if it's legit is because I've read some stories of people not getting their moneys.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel