• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2018 6:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9037 posts
1712 upvotes

how windy is too windy for airplanes

Anyone know what westjet's limits are, tomorrow im flying from deer lake, its calling for 30 gusting to 60. do you think they will land and take off in that wind?
25 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1824 posts
944 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:36 pm
Anyone know what westjet's limits are, tomorrow im flying from deer lake, its calling for 30 gusting to 60. do you think they will land and take off in that wind?
They can fly through that no problem. I didn't think WestJet flies you in Cessnas :-)
Feb 14, 2009
844 posts
259 upvotes
Que Sera, Sera!

rocking23nf wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3434 posts
26531 upvotes
Flights would be grounded daily in the Prairies if they didn’t fly in 30-60 gust winds.

So yes not a problem to take off or land. Smaller planes may make for a bumpy ride if turbulence is great.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1478 posts
645 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
For comparison's sake Pearson only issued a ground stop when the wind gusts approached 100km/hr during the May 4 windstorm.
Banned
Jun 9, 2018
37 posts
11 upvotes
Anybody actually look forward to turbulence on airplanes? Makes you sit up in your seat with anticipation and excitement.
Jul 5, 2004
23029 posts
2675 upvotes
Flights will continue without much issue. Takeoffs may be delayed slightly to allow cross winds to die off, and there may be a few more go arounds or extra circling waiting for cross winds to die down, but operations won't be greatly impacted by those winds.

Not all winds are the same either. A cross wind is very different than a head wind. The 737-800 is rated for a maximum cross wind of about 60 km/hr on a dry runway. If the runway is wet it would be a bit less. That can change slightly based on the airport as well. The airline itself also has its own rules, and I'm not sure what Westjet's policies are.

In theory, a plane could take off with a 100 km/hr head wind, although it would never happen. The 737-800 is rated for a tail wind of around 20-25 km/hr, but it's easy to avoid a tail wind by taking off in the other direction.

More so than the ability of the plane is the rules regarding the opening of doors. Those standards are more restrictive than the abilities of the plane.

Either way, those winds aren't anything to worry about. It might modify slightly the actions of specific flights, but it won't have much of an effect on the overall operations.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1357 posts
430 upvotes
abdulsong wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:56 pm
Anybody actually look forward to turbulence on airplanes? Makes you sit up in your seat with anticipation and excitement.
What's wrong with you?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30301 posts
5292 upvotes
Ottawa
The wind and gust limits are all different depending on type of aircraft, aircraft weight and direction of the wind and gusts. Gusting crosswinds can be very dangerous.
I believe that the aircraft you will be on is a Q400 and they can get thrown around a bit. It will be bumpy for sure but I think they will fly.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2637 posts
1271 upvotes
Canadia
13inches wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:18 pm
What's wrong with you?
I'm a sailplane pilot, and turbulence caused by columns of rising air (thermals) is what we live for. There's nothing like hitting a massive updraft and climbing thousands of feet in a tight turn without needing an engine.

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30301 posts
5292 upvotes
Ottawa
retrothing wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:34 pm
I'm a sailplane pilot, and turbulence caused by columns of rising air (thermals) is what we live for. There's nothing like hitting a massive updraft and climbing thousands of feet in a tight turn without needing an engine.
If you are a pilot than you know turbulence is not solely "caused by columns of rising air". There are storms, there are mountains, there are air currents, clouds and more .
You should also know that gusts and high winds are not conducive to good flights. You as a sailplane pilot should know that you are are far more susceptible to the effects of crosswinds and high winds.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Feb 14, 2009
844 posts
259 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 5:54 pm
If you are a pilot than you know turbulence is not solely "caused by columns of rising air". There are storms, there are mountains, there are air currents, clouds and more .
You should also know that gusts and high winds are not conducive to good flights. You as a sailplane pilot should know that you are are far more susceptible to the effects of crosswinds and high winds.
....well... internet is the place to meet so many different people,
with so many different strange phobias and philias...

...abdulsong is the first person I meet in internet who loves turbulence....

...I am the second...
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1567 posts
143 upvotes
St. Johns
As an Air Traffic Controller in NL I can tell you that wind definitely has an impact but it is only one part of the equation. We routinely see planes land and takeoff in wind gusts exceeding 40 KTS but it really depends on other weather conditions such as rain and cross winds. If the weather is poor, it's more likely the plane won't get in to begin with thus no outbound flight. Rain and high cross winds are more likely to impact a flight then simple wind strength.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6012 posts
2166 upvotes
Kootenays
retrothing wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:34 pm
I'm in the Windermere Valley, home to many of the early hang gliding records. It's a Mecca for gliders, too. I went up for my birthday around 10 years ago. I had the pilot fly us over our place, since we own a piece of Mt. Swansea, where most guys go to catch the thermals and the hang gliders and para gliders launch. The thermals were very tight that day. It seemed like one wing was pinned and we just spiralled up around it. As we caught or fell out of the thermal, we gained or lost 100 feet per second. That's 10 stories up or down per second! It was nauseating! I asked the pilot if many people got sick and he just yelled "The sickness bags are in the pouch!" I didn't puke, but I certainly could have. When we landed, the first thing the tow pilot asked was "Did you puke?" I said no and he said good, because "Most people do, and I have another tow and I'd have to clean it!" Once we got back down, after 2 hours of flying, it was like I just stepped off a ship after a month at sea.
Banned
Jun 9, 2018
37 posts
11 upvotes
13inches wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:18 pm
What's wrong with you?
Why do people ride roller coasters? Why do test pilots love their jobs?
I'd pay $$$ to be on this flight.