how windy is too windy for airplanes

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2018 6:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9122 posts
1769 upvotes
no issues in deer lake today, but we had a 1 hour delay in Toronto after we already boarded due to the thunderstorm which sucked. pretty smooth flight otherwise.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2677 posts
1322 upvotes
Canadia
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 5:54 pm
If you are a pilot than you know turbulence is not solely "caused by columns of rising air". There are storms, there are mountains, there are air currents, clouds and more .
You should also know that gusts and high winds are not conducive to good flights. You as a sailplane pilot should know that you are are far more susceptible to the effects of crosswinds and high winds.
Huh? I was responding directly to the comment from the member who said that they enjoy turbulence. I absolutely love convective turbulence in the right aircraft because it's a lot of fun. Period.

CAT (clear air turbulence) is not nearly as enjoyable. However, it's something you'll encounter at altitude because of wind sheer, t-storms, and in cirrus or lenticular clouds. Around the airport, I'd be more concerned about microburts or aircraft wake turbulence caused by an A332 or B738 on departure or final than a moderate crosswind.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30793 posts
5653 upvotes
Ottawa
retrothing wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:30 am
Huh? I was responding directly to the comment from the member who said that they enjoy turbulence. I absolutely love convective turbulence in the right aircraft because it's a lot of fun. Period.

CAT (clear air turbulence) is not nearly as enjoyable. However, it's something you'll encounter at altitude because of wind sheer, t-storms, and in cirrus or lenticular clouds. Around the airport, I'd be more concerned about microburts or aircraft wake turbulence caused by an A332 or B738 on departure or final than a moderate crosswind.
Huh? I will tell you. I responded to your , "I am a sailplane pilot"and.... "turbulence caused by columns of rising air "comment. I dd not even mention clear air turbulence, which is a different phenomenon than weather related and would be encountered at most airports on landing and take off.
Microbursts are violent storm related and as near as I can understand, no A332 or A380 has ever landed at Deer Lake.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Jul 5, 2004
23121 posts
2742 upvotes
abdulsong wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:20 pm
Why do people ride roller coasters? Why do test pilots love their jobs?
I'd pay $$$ to be on this flight.

That video makes the climb look more extreme than it really is. Without looking up the max specifications for the plane, my guess is that climb is anywhere from 25-30 degrees, which is a lot compared to what you'd feel as a typical passenger, but still far short of near vertical. It would be neat to experience that on such a large plane though, I agree.

If you're anywhere near Ottawa, check this out. It's an amazing experience
https://www.goxpr.com/products/aerobatic-flight
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2677 posts
1322 upvotes
Canadia
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:54 am
Huh? I will tell you. I responded to your , "I am a sailplane pilot"and.... "turbulence caused by columns of rising air "comment.
You're misreading my original comment. I didn't claim that all turbulence is convective, not did I state that I was just a sailplane pilot. All I said was that I enjoy thermalling in response to someone who asked "Anybody actually look forward to turbulence?"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30793 posts
5653 upvotes
Ottawa
retrothing wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:28 am
You're misreading my original comment. I didn't claim that all turbulence is convective, not did I state that I was just a sailplane pilot. All I said was that I enjoy thermalling in response to someone who asked "Anybody actually look forward to turbulence?"
Sorry, I read it as you wrote it. If you intended something else, I didn't see or read it.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9122 posts
1769 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:54 am
Huh? I will tell you. I responded to your , "I am a sailplane pilot"and.... "turbulence caused by columns of rising air "comment. I dd not even mention clear air turbulence, which is a different phenomenon than weather related and would be encountered at most airports on landing and take off.
Microbursts are violent storm related and as near as I can understand, no A332 or A380 has ever landed at Deer Lake.
they would land those planes in Stephenville instead as it has a 10000 foot runway from the old military base.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30793 posts
5653 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:47 am
they would land those planes in Stephenville instead as it has a 10000 foot runway from the old military base.
Or Gander, which is better equipped to service those aircraft and has been a well used international airport for decades. (38 during the 9/11 crisis). 8 landed in Stephenville too.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3757 posts
339 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
retrothing wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:34 pm
I'm a sailplane pilot, and turbulence caused by columns of rising air (thermals) is what we live for. There's nothing like hitting a massive updraft and climbing thousands of feet in a tight turn without needing an engine.

Everyday is a force approach, eh? Hah. I'm a pilot too, but not a glider :P.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6594 posts
1192 upvotes
Mississauga
abdulsong wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:20 pm
Why do people ride roller coasters? Why do test pilots love their jobs?
I'd pay $$$ to be on this flight.

I would love to be on that plane. Its amazing how quick it climbs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6594 posts
1192 upvotes
Mississauga
If you live in the GTA and want to see the effects of wind on planes. On Dixie road just north of Courtney park there is a side street and also a small gravel area to park and watch the planes land. My granddaughter 11 was going on a plane for the first time and she was scared so I took her over to Dixie road and we watched plane after plane land and after 15 minutes she wasn't scared anymore. If its windy you can see the effects the wind has.