Careers

How would I word this to possible employer's HR?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2017 1:48 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3316 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary
SquirreI wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:57 pm
I actually read it, the day the email was sent. Not sure what story I was writing in my original post... really busy at work the past 2 weeks, with a lot of paperwork and sleep deprivation, so I am definitely not thinking straight. But I did read it after work, but by that time I think I couldn't think of a response or didn't have time. It is my because of my irresponsibility or carelessness that I didn't reply right away though. And that definitely does give a very bad impression, and I understand that. I hope we can leave this debate at that. I'm not sure why this is lecturing is necessary, other than to purposely berate me, for something that I fully understand.
Absolutely not my intention to berate or put you down. Unfortunately the perspective of HR needs to be considered heavily regardless of who you are or your specific intentions, which is what I was trying to do. They may interpret it all differently, but it's likely best to assume the worst and prepare to deal with people making decisions about you in a vacuum. I truly hope it all works out for you but I wouldn't be doing you any favours by focusing on your intentions as opposed to your actions, as that's all the decision makers will judge you on without actually meeting with you.
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
222 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:04 pm
Absolutely not my intention to berate or put you down. Unfortunately the perspective of HR needs to be considered heavily regardless of who you are or your specific intentions, which is what I was trying to do. They may interpret it all differently, but it's likely best to assume the worst and prepare to deal with people making decisions about you in a vacuum. I truly hope it all works out for you but I wouldn't be doing you any favours by focusing on your intentions as opposed to your actions, as that's all the decision makers will judge you on without actually meeting with you.
My question is what HR contact expects someone to come in ON the day?
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
222 upvotes
So Squirrel has gone dark :D - did you say you were available that day - the day the HR rep asked you to come in?

If that is the case, that changes everything.
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
May 11, 2009
542 posts
140 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:05 am
I've been working 12 hour days and not getting enough sleep because of my 3 hr (in total) commutes to work, so I might not be thinking clearly.

I applied to a job that I want. HR contacted me through email, so I contacted him back stating my availability. The next day he emailed me back "I'm doing tours and interviews today, can you come in?" At that time I was at work so I missed the email, I missed it the second day as well because I get a lot of emails from different websites. It's been 3 days since.

I want to email him back something like, "Sorry, I'm still working full-time at my current job so I missed the interview, if possible could I come in sometime next week?"

Is that alright? Not too demanding? I also want to give at least 3 days-a week's notice at my current job since i'm sort of a core guy in the workplace. But that's not too much of an issue because I want the job.

I think I would get the job because I have 5 years experience in the field already, it's just I feel I don't want to ruin it because of miscommunication. I've had that happen before through email twice, I think some older people just take what happens through text a little too "rough."
You mention 5 years of experience everywhere you post. What industry is that in really. Actual experience is measured after you graduate.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1007 posts
540 upvotes
North York
How many threads do you have on the career page? Just the other one you're complaining about how the training is so slow and they're treating you like an idiot.
And now you're jumping ship already? Seems unprofessional
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
I didn't read thread.

HR person doesn't care about you until you are hired. I went for an interview once and the HR person never validated my parking so I was out of pocket $6. Anyways, gave me a taste of everyone only do their job and no one goes the extra mile especially to a job applicant.

Profit for them of $6 though. HR never formally rejected me either. I would have appreciated a formal rejection letter and instructions on how to get my $6 back lol.

Anyways, not planning to do business with them from that interaction alone.