Parenting & Family

How would you *first* check on your loved one?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2018 9:44 pm
Tags:

Poll: How would you *first* check on your loved one?

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
call their name

39%
gently shake them

11%
touch their face

6%
put finger under their nose

0%
look to see if chest is moving for breathing

44%
make some noise

0%
switch on the light

0%
other (please explain)

0%
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

How would you *first* check on your loved one?

I dunno if this belongs here or in OT. Anyway...

You have a loved one, someone you supposedly care about, e.g. parent, sibling, spouse, etc. They usually take their regularly-scheduled nap. However, one day, they take much longer and they're still not up! You start getting a bit worried because they are elderly so you decide to go check up on them. What would you do *first* to confirm they are ok after entering the bedroom?
1. call their name;
2. gently shake them;
3. touch their face;
4. put finger under their nose;
5. look to see if chest is moving for breathing;
6. make some noise;
7. switch on the light; or
8. other (please explain)?

The reason I'm asking will be revealed afterwards. Just want to get your responses first to see if my hunch is right.

POLL added: think carefully before answering since it cannot be changed.

Thanks for participating in this 'game' :D
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3472 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal
Well, parent may mean somewhat elderly. Sibling/spouse may be relatively young, so there might be some variation here.

But the first thing I'd do is look for chest movement because why wake them up if they're ok?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
This scenario goes through my mind occasionally. To see if they're okay I'd gently shake them or if that doesn't work put finger under the nose and check the pulse.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1261 upvotes
Georgetown
The ‘first’ check seems pretty clear that it is verbal - thus calling their name. If no response to that you move on to other options.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27420 posts
6791 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: The ‘first’ check seems pretty clear that it is verbal - thus calling their name. If no response to that you move on to other options.
Why go right to verbal? Why not check their breathing? That way if they're breathing and skin colour looks good, there's no reason to wake them. Unless of course the nap has gotten to the point where it's excessively long, then it might be a good idea to wake them to ensure nothing weird is going on

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)