Personal Finance

How Are You Tracking Budgets, Spending, Investments etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 10:05 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
STP123 wrote: Quicken desktop 2015 version. Been using Quicken for over 20 years and it has been so valuable for budgeting, attaching receipts, and tracking investments (IRR, dividends etc.). Reporting functions are so powerful that I use these as feedback to fine tune my investing strategies. Desktop version has been crippled by Quicken but there are work arounds to import data...for example, stock prices can be imported from Yahoo finance. I can theoretically use this forever without having to go to the online subscription.
+1000
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
pachimari04 wrote: I recently just finished the YNAB trial and decided to sign up. It's been working really well for my wife and I and I've started to really enjoying budgeting. I used to hate it.

If someone where to build something what would you guys look for in an app?
I'm somewhat annoyed, I bought it on steam quite a few years ago and just figured out now that yes I did purchase it in steam (completely forgot).

Now, if I download it on steam it appears to be a pretty old version and the only way to have the newest one now is to pay a monthly fee after some trial period is over.. not cool.

Will I use this YNAB Classic as I'll call it? Maybe... maybe not. Not sure what I want to do now.

edit: so I got a pretty fast response from the company. But what they pulled on customers like me who previously purchased their software is a pretty crappy move. So I will not support them as a company anymore nor can I recommend them.

The reply:

Since we released the web-based version of YNAB, our previous version (YNAB 4) is no longer an option for purchase through Steam. We also no longer officially support YNAB 4, so while we'll be here to answer questions about the software, if Windows or Mac releases an update that no longer supports YNAB 4, we won't be updating it.

We do offer a full-featured, 34-day trial of the web-based YNAB, so you can check it out and sign up for a free online workshop. If you choose to subscribe, the cost is $6.99 per month, billed annually at $83.99.

Let me know if I can help you get started!

now I’m all for budgeting and I’m good at it, but I don’t need to pay $83.99/year for it. I used to be able to sync what I had on my computer into the iPhone app and from what I can tell that’s no longer possible, making the old version even less useful for me...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
Just get Microsoft Money Sunset Edition for free: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x?id=20738

Brand name software with no subscription fees that does transaction tracking, Investment management, portfolio management, budgeting, retirement planning, recurring bill payments, banking transaction imports, Cash flow analysis, advanced reporting, What if analysis, etc.

Yes, no new development is going into it, but has budgeting really changed in the last 10 years?

What features are you looking for that it does not have? It's not cloud based, but I see that as a plus considering all the security breaches that are happening.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
kasm wrote: Just get Microsoft Money Sunset Edition for free: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x?id=20738

Brand name software with no subscription fees that does transaction tracking, Investment management, portfolio management, budgeting, retirement planning, recurring bill payments, banking transaction imports, Cash flow analysis, advanced reporting, What if analysis, etc.

Yes, no new development is going into it, but has budgeting really changed in the last 10 years?

What features are you looking for that it does not have? It's not cloud based, but I see that as a plus considering all the security breaches that are happening.
Does it support envelope budgeting? e.g. budget certain amounts towards various categories that carry over to the following month if you don't use the amount previously budgeted?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)