Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2140 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa

How Young is Too to take the Bus?

As the question states, would you let your young child take the bus alone, what age is too young?

Do you think some parents keeps their kids from experiencing life by always making sure they are too "safe"?
74 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7981 posts
2824 upvotes
Toronto
Under 14 imo.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9582 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 3:43 pm
Under 14 imo.

I don't know what it's like now but when I was 12/13 (grd 7-8) in the 90s, many many students took the TTC bus to school. Many trouble makers too that would considered 'manly' by today's standards and would probably beat up grown-up millennials today. I had a student metropass at that time. Heck, in grd 6-5, I was taking the TTC downtown by myself from Scarbs.

I still see young kids taking the bus too. But that's in Toronto. Buses run more frequent. If you're in boonieville, where the bus comes every 1 hr, it might be a bit more worriesome for younger.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14183 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
I started taking it alone when I was 11 and started going to a new school for grade 7. This was the Mississauga Transit.

I see kids taking the subway alone all the time where I am now. The kids that go to St Michael's and the girls' Catholic school on the other side of the field take it alone every morning. They look like they're around 12 or above, but I'm old now and my perception of a kid's age is probably off.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Mar 27, 2015
739 posts
178 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The TTC is one big school bus. I see little gaffers on it who can't be any more than 7-8, but they're usually travelling with their school mates so I guess its not a big deal. I always shake my head at parents who insist on sending their children to a school half way across the city. Its so unfair to make them schlep like that. But that's another story.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
365 upvotes
Depends on the child and to where. If it was for school and they get on and off the same place and with the same schedule probably grade 5 which is when some kids start middle school here. Probably grade 7 to actually get to places but I would want to make sure they know how to look up the bus schedules, and options.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4206 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
Is there any law to regulate this? I thought its 12,?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2507 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
I took 40min bus to school when I was 11(grade 5)
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15970 posts
1876 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 11:09 pm
Is there any law to regulate this? I thought its 12,?
There's no minimum age to be left home alone, although <10 years old, you should have some evidence that your child is very responsible. As for public transportation, the TTC has no minimum age although I would guess this is asking for trouble if the child is very young - some nosey nellie will end up calling the police or child services.

https://www.thestar.com/life/parent/201 ... alone.html
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5266 posts
661 upvotes
I may be the odd one here, but I grew up in the country. I took a bus to Kindergarten. Otherwise, how would I get there?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2780 posts
242 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 4:21 pm
I may be the odd one here, but I grew up in the country. I took a bus to Kindergarten. Otherwise, how would I get there?
That my friend would be a school bus, which has no defined age requirements.

I believe the question here is related to say taking a city bus to go somewhere. I would say once they reach high school, being able to take the bus is a responsibility they need to be able to handle and take on.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5266 posts
661 upvotes
azn_dan wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 4:46 pm
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 4:21 pm
That my friend would be a school bus, which has no defined age requirements.

I believe the question here is related to say taking a city bus to go somewhere. I would say once they reach high school, being able to take the bus is a responsibility they need to be able to handle and take on.
Lol. I am such a country boy at heart still it seems. The only bus I think of is a school bus, when someone says bus.

Thanks, this made me laugh.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4206 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
Somehow i am under impression that kids can not be alone under 12