Parenting & Family

How Young is Too to take the Bus?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 12:49 pm
Tags:
Jan 2, 2015
945 posts
335 upvotes
^ Not true. There is not actual law on when kids can be left alone as it depends on their mature and the situation. However, if a parent misjudges, and the something happens to the child, they can be charged with child endangerment.

That being said, there are stay at home courses that start at age 10 and baby sitting courses at 11 in my city.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Jan 2, 2015
945 posts
335 upvotes
^ Not true. There is not actual law on when kids can be left alone as it depends on their mature and the situation. However, if a parent misjudges, and the something happens to the child, they can be charged with child endangerment.

That being said, there are stay at home courses that start at age 10 and baby sitting courses at 11 in my city.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
Our son took city buses to high school starting at Grade Eight.

Macx2mommy wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 12:20 am

Some provinces have laws on what age a child can be left alone at home

page 3 here
http://cwrp.ca/sites/default/files/publ ... n/144e.pdf
Jan 2, 2015
945 posts
335 upvotes
Wow, that's crazy that Ontario is 16.
Jan 3, 2007
230 posts
13 upvotes
there is no hard and fast law, but as a general rule, children under the age of 10 should be constantly supervised by an adult.
so, if they are old enough to take a babysitting course, they can probably get to school safely by themselves.
Jul 30, 2013
226 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
AtlsNBP wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 3:42 pm
As the question states, would you let your young child take the bus alone, what age is too young?

Do you think some parents keeps their kids from experiencing life by always making sure they are too "safe"?
Well, if it's a school bus, I would say 8-9 is fine. If you're talking public transit... well I started taking public transit when I was 13 and it wasn't too bad. These kids nowadays have phones and everything, so 13 should be a decent age! I got lost from time to time, but if parents are always being overprotective of their children, they'll never learn how to deal with situations themselves. I asked bus drivers for help from time to time and 99% of them are happy to help out a youngster! :)
Feb 9, 2005
632 posts
33 upvotes
If the school board offers school buses for kindergarten, it's obvious that the board deem ages 4 and up to be adequate to take the school bus. I remember taking the TTC across the city by grade 5 after we moved but wanted to remain at the same school.

As for staying home alone for kids. As mentioned, it all comes down to the child and the confidence of the parents. Some kids are more mature than others. My buddy would trust his 8 year old daughter before his 10 year old son. Not that it's happened yet, but he keeps telling me that his daughter can take care of the older brother.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2860 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
When should kids walk to school alone?
"Experts say most children are ready at about age 9."

As this memo from a Toronto school shows, kids below 9 years old are not allowed to walk home alone. Kids 9-14 are strongly encouraged to walk home as a group.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6927 posts
949 upvotes
I remember taking the bus myself down to chinatown to buy pirated games when I was in grade 7 from scarbz
Jul 3, 2006
136 posts
16 upvotes
My kid took public bus to high school when he was 13. It is all depending on your judgement whether your kids are matured enough to take the public transit by themselves. However, you should give them some advice such as:
1> Avoiding the back seats of the bus. Occasionally on public transit, there are few guys tend to target students sitting at the back seats for money / use of their cell phones / etc. My kid was once asked for money when he sat at the back seats. And don't show your wallet or money on public transit. He did learn a lesson from that experience though.
2> Don't put on head set to listen to music while on the bus or walking from/to, pay attention to surrounding.
3> Don't buy any thing from anyone even if it was offered at a cheap price.
4> Don't rush or run trying to catch an incoming bus. This is too dangerous considering the number of cars on the road today and the number of careless drivers. Tell them to go to bus stops at least 5 mins early.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
1773 posts
852 upvotes
The answer to this question would really depend on the city you live in, the area you live in, and the area the child intends to ride the bus to or from.
I see many 10ish year olds riding the bus all the time alone.
I also see the same age group and younger roaming the streets at 1 in the morning and later.
In today's world, I don't think there is any such thing as over protecting our children, with all the crazy and disgusting things that happen in many cities.
But I also am a believer that we cannot always be there 100% of the time to protect them. So we need to teach them to be independent to a certain extent.
Whether or not that includes riding the bus with all the crazies or not, it just depends on too many variables.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13906 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently there is an answer to this: http://cwrp.ca/sites/default/files/publ ... n/144e.pdf

Ontario considers it 'child neglect' if you let your kid stay unsupervised anywhere below they're old enough to drive. As ridiculous as that is, the Children's Aid Society can legally kidnap them and imprison you for letting them go anywhere alone (including staying at home) before age 16.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Oct 6, 2015
594 posts
285 upvotes
I took the bus when I was 4 years old alone to school. Rode my bike, ~4km each way, each day, to and from, at the age of 7 or 8 when weather permitted.
Oct 13, 2014
946 posts
384 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
Here is the latest position of the Provincial Government of B.C. (Ministry of Children and Family Development), one child must be at least 10 years of age:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/doe ... themselves
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"