How are your RENOS coming along? vol. cant wait for this to be finished

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 1:49 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes

How are your RENOS coming along? vol. cant wait for this to be finished

I did a gut of the house I purchased. We're "almost" there but I'm now getting impatient and anxious for everything to be "done" (well I know it's never ending from this point on)

What I changed:

1. carpet to hardwood stairs and 2nd floor - removed carpets, floors will be installed this weekend , DIY
2. stairs - contractor will be done by Monday
3. Main floor change change hardwood/tiles to all hardwood (new) - done, DIY
4. Painting - I guess this is always ongoing. I was "finished" my main floor until I saw some dents I needed to fill. I can finish this Saturday. 2nd floor hallway 2nd coat when we've moved in, DIY
5. kitchen - done, contractor
6. tree removal on my lawn + remove old plants - done, DIY
7. ensuite and powder room - done, contractor

For next yr and beyond:

1. basement painting which I can probably do when we're all settled
2. power wash deck, re-stain and re-seal - spring 2018
3. 2nd floor bathroom - depending how generous CRA is to me next yr

How's yours coming along?
37 replies
Oct 2, 2013
785 posts
354 upvotes
Montreal
Started end of July the electricity in the garage... Cut the drywall/OSB where the panel will be, run conduits to all outlets in the wall, fish wires, install the panel, put new drywall and sand it. Drywall the mezzanine and mud it. I estimate I'll be done by the end of September. Took 3 months. Not bad. Working 30 minutes / day. Nothing gets done. Contractor will finish the panel in October.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2306 upvotes
Edmonton
How long has yours been going on?

Ours started June 2017. Our list is currently sitting at 71 items... :) We gutted the house immediately upon purchase (well, as immediate as you can be when you haul 2 30 cubic yard dumpsters of lathe and plaster out of a house. By hand. By yourself). Then we started rebuilding.

New kitchen - Still needs backsplash. May hire this out.
Upstairs "master suite" - needs closet doors installed, but there's a claw-foot tub in the way. See next item
Upstairs washroom - Needs tub and toilet installed (just finished the baseboards in that area last night). Need to get or make a vanity.
Main floor powder room - bare studs right now. Next project once we get the upstairs washroom done.
Basement ceiling - needs one. Ripped the ceiling down to put in HVAC and wiring upstairs
Basement washroom - needs ceiling
Main floor fireplace - needs to be re-built

Those are the big items.. Then a bunch of small items, like the fact that we have no drawer or cabinet handles, and our lighting fixtures in a few rooms are the fabulous $1.98 single bulb fixtures from Home Depot.

C
[OP]
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:40 pm
How long has yours been going on?

Ours started June 2017. Our list is currently sitting at 71 items... :) We gutted the house immediately upon purchase (well, as immediate as you can be when you haul 2 30 cubic yard dumpsters of lathe and plaster out of a house. By hand. By yourself). Then we started rebuilding.

New kitchen - Still needs backsplash. May hire this out.
Upstairs "master suite" - needs closet doors installed, but there's a claw-foot tub in the way. See next item
Upstairs washroom - Needs tub and toilet installed (just finished the baseboards in that area last night). Need to get or make a vanity.
Main floor powder room - bare studs right now. Next project once we get the upstairs washroom done.
Basement ceiling - needs one. Ripped the ceiling down to put in HVAC and wiring upstairs
Basement washroom - needs ceiling
Main floor fireplace - needs to be re-built

Those are the big items.. Then a bunch of small items, like the fact that we have no drawer or cabinet handles, and our lighting fixtures in a few rooms are the fabulous $1.98 single bulb fixtures from Home Depot.

C
Wow.

Started July, my 3 months is approaching. I went over budget 6k so far but I think it'll stay there. The major stuff are done.

I gotta say I'm enjoying it but I'm at the point where I just want to put an end to it as well. My neighbors are just floored whenever I tell them what I've done so far.
Aug 18, 2009
624 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Any before/after pics you can share?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2306 upvotes
Edmonton
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:52 pm
Wow.

Started July, my 3 months is approaching. I went over budget 6k so far but I think it'll stay there. The major stuff are done.

I gotta say I'm enjoying it but I'm at the point where I just want to put an end to it as well. My neighbors are just floored whenever I tell them what I've done so far.
I think we spent 2 months doing demo, working evenings and weekends. Feels like it, anyway... Then we had a contractor do the structural changes (taking out a wall, replacing it with a header, moving some windows and doors), and a drywaller and his crew come in to do the dusty stuff.

After we moved in on the Thanksgiving long weekend, things really died down for us. It was easy to get into the "it's good enough" mode. :) So we lived with no running water (aside from the fridge ice/water) on the main floor and upper floor for most of the winter. Come spring, after we put in the countertops and sink, we couldn't get over how much we appreciated having a 20th century kitchen! Like, with water and everything! And a dishwasher!

I'm expecting the same sort of revelation when we get tub moved out of our closet area upstairs and get the bathroom finished up there. To not have to go down and back up 2 flights of stairs to take a leak in the middle of the night... :) Oddly enough, this affects my GF more than me, yet I'm the one trying to push forward with these projects.

And yes, I just want it to end. No real idea what we've spent so far... One day, when this is all a distant memory, we'll add up some receipts.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7772 posts
1941 upvotes
Toronto
'Started' in August 2012. Took me forever, 2 years to do a 12x24 room, lol. Wife got pissed, started Nov 2015, completed Dec 2016. Full basement (excluding mechanical room which I'll do whenever) and main floor renovation.

Living in a reno is probably the worse feeling. I was happy to be at work and away from my wife.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
For those who have finished - how did you remove all the dust? I don't think it's as simple as using a vacuum. Dust can settle on the ceilings and walls as well.

I'm thinking of getting a pro to do the cleaning but if it's something I can do myself I'm willing to do so. I just don't want to live in a dusty environment as I'm allergic to dust (my nostrils are clogged after a day's work at my home).
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Sep 14th, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 2, 2013
785 posts
354 upvotes
Montreal
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:03 pm
For those who have finished - how did you remove all the dust? I don't think it's as simple as using a vacuum. Dust can settle on the ceilings and walls as well.

I'm thinking of getting a pro to do the cleaning but if it's something I can do myself I'm willing to do so. I just don't want to live in a dusty environment as I'm allergic to dust (my nose are clogged after a day's work at my home).
When I did my basement, I hired someone to do the joints because I hate to do it. I don't want to waste time on that.

Anyway, he had a special filter that he used with his shopvac. He was vacuuming drywall compound dust and the outlet tube had no particule coming out.

He also put plastic everywhere (doors, windows, AC duct, etc) and was held in place with painter tape.

You could also rent a air cleaner filter (usually it's heavy and big) and you run it while you work. It get less durty. We have 1 in our shop here and it make a huge difference when working with the saw.
Mar 27, 2015
730 posts
171 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'm embarrassed reading all of your projects because mine consists of:

hardwood floors - they're original, tried to find a re-finisher, could not, so I did it myself, a lot of work, still not done.
kitchen: I did get the cabinets painted and the new decorative backsplash strip installed, I ripped out the ceramic tile countertop coming up about 3 years ago, we've been left with the remaining plywood top (dried glue attached that I can't remove), ever since. I purchased a new IKEA laminate that husband was supposed to install but decided that playing guitar and bike riding was more important, so I ended up giving it away after it sat on my living room floor for 8 months. I paint and varnish the plywood every once and awhile but it looks like crap, as you can imagine.
skylight - talked about it, never did anything
aluminum fascia over the living room window - talked about it, never did anything
bathroom - its 70 years old and needs gutting. talked about it, never did anything.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
SquadG wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:55 pm
When I did my basement, I hired someone to do the joints because I hate to do it. I don't want to waste time on that.

Anyway, he had a special filter that he used with his shopvac. He was vacuuming drywall compound dust and the outlet tube had no particule coming out.

He also put plastic everywhere (doors, windows, AC duct, etc) and was held in place with painter tape.

You could also rent a air cleaner filter (usually it's heavy and big) and you run it while you work. It get less durty. We have 1 in our shop here and it make a huge difference when working with the saw.
1. how much did the pro charge you?

2. what do you mean by air cleaner filter? I can actually have 2 air cleaners but I don't think that will remove the dust particles roaming around the house
[OP]
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:16 pm
I'm embarrassed reading all of your projects because mine consists of:

hardwood floors - they're original, tried to find a re-finisher, could not, so I did it myself, a lot of work, still not done.
kitchen: I did get the cabinets painted and the new decorative backsplash strip installed, I ripped out the ceramic tile countertop coming up about 3 years ago, we've been left with the remaining plywood top (dried glue attached that I can't remove), ever since. I purchased a new IKEA laminate that husband was supposed to install but decided that playing guitar and bike riding was more important, so I ended up giving it away after it sat on my living room floor for 8 months. I paint and varnish the plywood every once and awhile but it looks like crap, as you can imagine.
skylight - talked about it, never did anything
aluminum fascia over the living room window - talked about it, never did anything
bathroom - its 70 years old and needs gutting. talked about it, never did anything.
Yes, bike riding and playing the guitar are important.

Jokes aside, start tackling the ones you can DIY this weekend. I'm assuming you know what you're doing with your hardwood so go for it.

The others like the skylight and the bathroom is something you should hire someone for and take no shortcuts. I mean, it's doable by yourself, but since you have other things in the pipeline you should leave it to someone. Waiting for your husband to finish it has probably frustrated you so open up the wallet and get'r done.
Oct 2, 2013
785 posts
354 upvotes
Montreal
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:26 pm
1. how much did the pro charge you?

2. what do you mean by air cleaner filter? I can actually have 2 air cleaners but I don't think that will remove the dust particles roaming around the house
See the attached picture. It's the one we have here in the shop. I don't know the exact name of the air filter.

I paid 800$ cash for the joints in my basement, about 200 feets ish of wall.
Images
  • DSC_2539.JPG
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8206 posts
2389 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Went through a whole house reno earlier this year. I was planning to do the basement myself but my wife stopped me as she knows me better than myself I guess lol.

- gutted master ensuite
- gutted second floor washroom
- got rid of builders gas fireplace/mantle and replaced with electric linear and built up a 18ft stonewall
- pot lights (60 pots)
- smoothed stucco ceilings
- replaced carpet with hardwood on second floor
- replaced powder room toilet and vanity
- finished basement with wet bar, 3 piece washroom
- whole house repainted including all trim

My contractors got this done in 7 weeks working 6 days a week and a crew of 5 most days. Nothing was off the shelf or prefabed for the most part. got lucky with zero hang ups with the vendors. Forgot to say, neighbours thought we were nuts as the house is only 5 years old lol. But the wife said it's our forever home so I let it make it so.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7441 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
Start date: 2012
Expected completion: lol
All DIY in weekends/spare time

1. Bathroom complete gut and refinish - 2 months
2. Bedroom 1 complete gut and refinish (except floor) - 2 months
3. Bedroom 2 complete gut and refinish - not started
4. Reroofing - 1 month
5. Remove and replace fence - 1 month (90% finished, gates need to be rebuilt)
6. Remove obsolete/unused brick chimney - 1 month (66% removed only the low/easier part remains)
7. Kitchen complete gut and refinish - 4 months (needs final trim, ceiling drywalled and island bar top)
8. Living room (attached to kitchen) - in progress (finish flooring, redo insulation + drywall) - est 1 month

I'm to the point where I get things "done enough" and then move on, as you can see from 5,6,7,8
Need to finish what I start, hah.

Items on future list are
9. Furnace room insulating (exposed brick currently, very nice in winter)
10. Basement full gut and refinish (including section into living room and a bedroom)
11. Basement add bathroom