Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4732 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:26 pm
1. how much did the pro charge you?

2. what do you mean by air cleaner filter? I can actually have 2 air cleaners but I don't think that will remove the dust particles roaming around the house
You want a HEPA filter to clean the air, and to use in the ShopVac. Regular filters will just circulate the dust.
http://www.maxprorestorations.ca/produc ... er-rental/
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.hepa ... 03772.html

You can also get as fine of a filter for your furnace as you can, which may help as well. Just change it out a month or so after your reno's are complete. We turned our HVAC system off while we were doing reno's, in an effort to not fill our ducts with gunk. Not sure if it worked, but...

C
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1549 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
It's been over a year since we finished our 1927 house Reno. It was a lot of work having a full time job and spending all our free time on finishing it up.

Dust will settle but it takes at least 3-5 months.

Good luck and hope to see the pics.

Cheers!

Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:25 pm
I did a gut of the house I purchased. We're "almost" there but I'm now getting impatient and anxious for everything to be "done" (well I know it's never ending from this point on)

What I changed:

1. carpet to hardwood stairs and 2nd floor - removed carpets, floors will be installed this weekend , DIY
2. stairs - contractor will be done by Monday
3. Main floor change change hardwood/tiles to all hardwood (new) - done, DIY
4. Painting - I guess this is always ongoing. I was "finished" my main floor until I saw some dents I needed to fill. I can finish this Saturday. 2nd floor hallway 2nd coat when we've moved in, DIY
5. kitchen - done, contractor
6. tree removal on my lawn + remove old plants - done, DIY
7. ensuite and powder room - done, contractor

For next yr and beyond:

1. basement painting which I can probably do when we're all settled
2. power wash deck, re-stain and re-seal - spring 2018
3. 2nd floor bathroom - depending how generous CRA is to me next yr

How's yours coming along?
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1631 posts
175 upvotes
Ha ha...own a house? Your renos will never be done...

There's always something to do next!
Sep 11, 2006
995 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Um I hung a picture last week..
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8384 posts
1350 upvotes
SquadG wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:15 pm
Started end of July the electricity in the garage... Cut the drywall/OSB where the panel will be, run conduits to all outlets in the wall, fish wires, install the panel, put new drywall and sand it. Drywall the mezzanine and mud it. I estimate I'll be done by the end of September. Took 3 months. Not bad. Working 30 minutes / day. Nothing gets done. Contractor will finish the panel in October.
why did you run conduit? that is so much more work to wire.
Oct 2, 2013
787 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
rocking23nf wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:12 pm
why did you run conduit? that is so much more work to wire.
Since my house is a semi-detached house AND the garage is under my bedroom, walls are made of 2x6 with insulation, plywood ½, resilient channel and drywall.

My garage is also 22x13. Running new wire would mean ripping out up to 22 feets of drywall and mudding everything back together.

Having conduits in place will help in the future if I need to make a change to the electric layout, simply run additionals wires or something else.

I will still have to mud, maybe, but only a small portion.
Feb 13, 2013
139 posts
60 upvotes
BC
Bought a 1975 house on half acre lot in january 2017.

Done:
Regraded driveway to make more parking space.
Found asbestos in drywall mud:( removed all drywall containing asbestos and disposed of it all$$$.
Removed wall between kitchen and dining/living rooms to make open concept space.
Removed linen closet and coat closet upstairs to open up view through the window above the split entry.
Took out wall between living room and entry and replaced with a half wall.
Removed all "drywall valences" in bedrooms and dining room.
Gutted basement laundry/bedroom and bath.
New furnace/hot water/Ac relocated and installed.
Removed fireplace upstairs.
Installed new French doors to the backyard. Replaced existing sliders with windows and removed two decks completely.
Gutted main bath and ensuite and master closet and reframed the entire space.
Upgraded electrical panel to 200A and redid 80% of wiring in the house.
Had new drywall installed in kitchen, dining, and all ceilings upstairs, and new mud room and bath downstairs.
Installed new everything in the new main bath.
New interior doors installed.
Installed all new hardwood upstairs in living/dining/kitchen/hall and three bedrooms.
New kitchen installed.
New Appliances installed.
Painted all walls.
Basement bath finished.
Mushroom suspended ceiling installed.
Extensive mudroom cabinets installed.
Mudroom door to garage relocated and new door installed.
Mudroom door to backyard relocated and new door installed.
1 large tree removed in backyard.
Two bedrooms framed downstairs in original garage space (a two car garage was added on later which we are keeping as is).

To do:
Finish painting master bedroom.
Paint baseboard and trim.
Install baseboards and trim everywhere.
Install tile on floor in ensuite
Install ensuite vanity and toilet.
Redo the upstairs gas fireplace.
Finish flooring on the staircase and landing.
Hang 2 more light fixtures.
Finish toe kicks in kitchen.
Top the half-wall in entryway with some stained wood. Install hand railing for stairs.
Build small deck and stairs down to the patio from the French doors.
Finish electrical in the two bedrooms downstairs.
Install 2 new windows in those bedrooms.
Have the bedrooms boarded and taped and sanded.
Install flooring in those bedrooms.
Remove all stucco on exterior and refinish the exterior with hardiplank or vinyl.
Build shop in backyard.

Oh. This list makes me tired just looking at it. Gotta admit I am running out of steam....
Last edited by christel3 on Sep 15th, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1033 posts
126 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 3:56 pm
'Started' in August 2012. Took me forever, 2 years to do a 12x24 room, lol. Wife got pissed, started Nov 2015, completed Dec 2016. Full basement (excluding mechanical room which I'll do whenever) and main floor renovation.

Living in a reno is probably the worse feeling. I was happy to be at work and away from my wife.
You were to busy riding lol i would be to.
Mar 27, 2015
738 posts
176 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Well I never nagged so I have to give myself that. Maybe I should have. All you folks doing all this work must be half my age. I'm exhausted reading these lists.
Jan 15, 2013
699 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
christel3 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 4:08 pm
Bought a 1975 house on half acre lot in january 2017.

Oh. This list makes me tired just looking at it. Gotta admit I am running out of steam....
Wow, this is epic. Any before and after pics?
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8223 posts
2393 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That is some insane amount of work that some of you guys have done. Kudos to all of you!!!
May 28, 2012
9434 posts
1779 upvotes
Saskatoon
abstract808 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 7:45 pm

You speak the truth.
Sep 6, 2017
111 posts
62 upvotes
abstract808 wrote:

in the same boat
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4922 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
abstract808 wrote:

The most depressing is when you have to start updating/redoing stuff you already did before. Things come full circle.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4732 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:40 pm
How long has yours been going on?

Ours started June 2017. Our list is currently sitting at 71 items... :) We gutted the house immediately upon purchase (well, as immediate as you can be when you haul 2 30 cubic yard dumpsters of lathe and plaster out of a house. By hand. By yourself). Then we started rebuilding.

New kitchen - Still needs backsplash. May hire this out.
Upstairs "master suite" - needs closet doors installed, but there's a claw-foot tub in the way. See next item
Upstairs washroom - Needs tub and toilet installed (just finished the baseboards in that area last night). Need to get or make a vanity.
Main floor powder room - bare studs right now. Next project once we get the upstairs washroom done.
Basement ceiling - needs one. Ripped the ceiling down to put in HVAC and wiring upstairs
Basement washroom - needs ceiling
Main floor fireplace - needs to be re-built

Those are the big items.. Then a bunch of small items, like the fact that we have no drawer or cabinet handles, and our lighting fixtures in a few rooms are the fabulous $1.98 single bulb fixtures from Home Depot.

C
We FINALLY made some significant progress! Moved the cast iron clawfoot tub into the bathroom (making it a bathroom, and not upstairs tool storage area) on Saturday. It involved 4 people, an air sled, removing the door frame, and a lot of grunting and cursing. Hallway was 3' wide, tub is 5' long... But it's IN, and and hooked up!

Then we installed a brand new toilet yesterday (Sunday), and put the door frame back on as well as the door. Had to re-build a frame for the access hatch over the bathroom shut-off valves that were behind drywall, but even that went ok. So we now have a functioning toilet that's not in the basement, which is a huge bonus on a two story house!

Still have some wiring to do in the bathroom, but it's a really good start. Hopefully getting that done this week, and can move on to the main floor powder room.

Down to 58 items out of our 71 on the last post. We still have $1.98 fixtures in key locations, and no handles on the cabinets... But that's on the GF, as she's in charge of picking fixtures and stuff.

C