• Nov 13th, 2017 1:49 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:41 am
We FINALLY made some significant progress! Moved the cast iron clawfoot tub into the bathroom (making it a bathroom, and not upstairs tool storage area) on Saturday. It involved 4 people, an air sled, removing the door frame, and a lot of grunting and cursing. Hallway was 3' wide, tub is 5' long... But it's IN, and and hooked up!

Then we installed a brand new toilet yesterday (Sunday), and put the door frame back on as well as the door. Had to re-build a frame for the access hatch over the bathroom shut-off valves that were behind drywall, but even that went ok. So we now have a functioning toilet that's not in the basement, which is a huge bonus on a two story house!

Still have some wiring to do in the bathroom, but it's a really good start. Hopefully getting that done this week, and can move on to the main floor powder room.

Down to 58 items out of our 71 on the last post. We still have $1.98 fixtures in key locations, and no handles on the cabinets... But that's on the GF, as she's in charge of picking fixtures and stuff.

C
I can see who is wearing the pants and great that there is some people that like to get their hands dirty.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4761 posts
2332 upvotes
Edmonton
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:51 pm
I can see who is wearing the pants and great that there is some people that like to get their hands dirty.
:) She was an interior designer in a past career, and is much fussier than me. I get veto power if I really don't like something, but that's more often budget related rather than aesthetics.

I've enjoyed the reno's, even if it's gone on longer than hoped. Never done anything like this, so I'm learning as I go. I'd do it again, but I don't think I could persuade the GF to try.

How's your stuff going?

C
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Most of the interior renos are done except the garage, that is where all the tools, leftover material, wood, you name it is stored now.
What is left is all the outside landscape, driveway, and a retaining wall. I want to put a French drain but don't know how to operate a backhoe.
By the way I had to take a 30K LOC with another bank so I could get all the windows and doors replaced. Boy do I feel poor, only got 5 bucks in my pocket, anyways I am getting rental income to help out in paying back the bank.

If you asked me if I would do it again, hell yeah but I would gut everything out all at once and not do a few rooms at a time.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4761 posts
2332 upvotes
Edmonton
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:47 pm
Most of the interior renos are done except the garage, that is where all the tools, leftover material, wood, you name it is stored now.
What is left is all the outside landscape, driveway, and a retaining wall. I want to put a French drain but don't know how to operate a backhoe.
By the way I had to take a 30K LOC with another bank so I could get all the windows and doors replaced. Boy do I feel poor, only got 5 bucks in my pocket, anyways I am getting rental income to help out in paying back the bank.

If you asked me if I would do it again, hell yeah but I would gut everything out all at once and not do a few rooms at a time.
Yeah, we're paying as we go now, which is slowing us down somewhat. But we had a tendency to buy stuff for projects we weren't ready for yet anyway, like buying tiles back in May, and we still haven't gotten them installed. :) Or finishing the tiling in the bathroom that we just moved the tub into, and then hemming and hawing about how to move the damn thing for 4 months. :) But we get there, eventually.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1579 posts
193 upvotes
Started to finish my basement at the beginning of July. Had the whole summer off to do it (lucky teacher). Have never worked with my hands before so everything was a learning process.

Around a 650 sq ft. basement stripped down to the concrete. Insulated walls with EPS, used metal studs, and then Roxul 12 in the bays.

Ran the wiring myself but hired an electrician to hook up the switches and lights. Hired someone to do all the drywalling as well.

Installed vinyl plank flooring myself directly on the concrete. Painted the walls and trim. Built a box for a floor to ceiling fireplace. Currently tiling it with ledgestone (about halfway done). Just using pl premium 8x instead of mortar. Costly but way easier and it seems to have a really strong hold.

Still have to paint the doors and trim and install the casing/trim. Have to use screws as I used metal studs. I could glue the baseboards on but I worry that sometime in the future if I have to take them off then I'll have to rip out the drywall too (realistically will never happen but... you know). Have to install the toilet and vanity in the bathroom too.

Upcoming projects, paint the rest of the house, then replace my current gas fireplace surround in the main floor with a floor to ceiling one with ledgestone.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4761 posts
2332 upvotes
Edmonton
On tap this weekend (maybe if I post it here, it will happen!)

1) Retrieving last of GF's possessions out of her storage unit so she can give that back. Means having to re-organize the basement *sigh*
2) Using the same rental truck from #1 to pick up required sheet goods from HD for powder room reno (drywall, sub-floor, MDF for range hood and fireplace, etc)
3) Finish framing in powder room so drywall from #2 can get moved out of the dining room
4) Get GF and Son #2 to work sanding stairs and patched trim

Not sure if I'll take a long weekend or what...

C
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4761 posts
2332 upvotes
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:34 am
On tap this weekend (maybe if I post it here, it will happen!)

1) Retrieving last of GF's possessions out of her storage unit so she can give that back. Means having to re-organize the basement *sigh*
2) Using the same rental truck from #1 to pick up required sheet goods from HD for powder room reno (drywall, sub-floor, MDF for range hood and fireplace, etc)
3) Finish framing in powder room so drywall from #2 can get moved out of the dining room
4) Get GF and Son #2 to work sanding stairs and patched trim

Not sure if I'll take a long weekend or what...

C
1) Done. Contents moved into the garage *ugh*
2) Done. Also moved into the garage *ugh*.
3) Decided it made more sense to start with the basement ceiling, as we'd like to get our garage back for parking, and I don't want to be trying to do the ceiling when it's full of GF's storage unit contents. So started wiring up the basement for potlights (done), and will start stuffing insulation into the ceiling for limited sound-proofing.
4) Son #2 got the stairs done.

This week, like to finish the basement ceiling. Using the Embassy ceiling tile system from Costco/HD/Lowes. Costco is the cheapest, but last time we had damaged cross-members, so I don't think I'll order from there again (they don't stock it, so I can't just exchanged out the damaged parts). HD is the next cheapest, but with Lowe's price matching, I should be able to come close to Costco pricing. And get it in town.

Also ended up getting a lighting circuit fixed that's had issues since we moved in a year ago. So that's another thing off the list...

C
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
My brother's reno that started in March and was supposed to be done by August is still going on. They don't expect to be back in the house until January now, still renting a basement suite elsewhere.

Almost half a million dollars in, and the latest is that they couldn't put in the new hardwood flooring yet because they discovered that the living room floor formerly covered by wall-to-wall carpet isn't sufficiently straight and level. They've just completed tearing out the old sub-floor, leveling the beams, and putting back two new layers of sub-floor. Now they have to wait for the hardwood flooring contractor to come back.