• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2016 12:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham

How's everything wired at home??

Just wondering how everybody has their stuff set up at home.

I live in a house (2 story with unfinished basement) ... Pre-wired in-wall by Builder: 5 CAT5 cables (Living Room / Master Bedroom / Bedroom 2 / Bedroom 3 / Garage) and 3 Coax cables (Living Room / Master Bedroom / Bedroom 2)

Modem Location: Basement by the Circuit Breaker Box ... Hitron AC Modem
Modem Connections: 4 ports connected - 1 CAT to living room wall plug / 1 CAT to Master Bedroom plug / 1 CAT to Bedroom 2 wall plug / 1 to Main Floor Laundry Room

Port Connections:
A) Basement - all wireless via the Dual Band AC Modem ... 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz connections
B) Main Floor Laundry Room - Rogers Tech wired through floor into the laundry room and out at the top of the door ...
- plugged in NetGear Router (for the purpose of the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring)
- plugged the MyQ Gateway device to the NetGear Router to control the garage door
C) Living Room - from the wall plug ran a CAT5 cable to the back of the Edimax Dual-band Router (provides wireless connection to the back of the house to the fence at the backyard ... 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz connections) ...
- plugged in a CAT5 from the router to the Desktop Computer (drilled a couple holes in the floor to wire the CAT5 in the basement) ... for streaming direct
- plugged in a CAT5 from the router to the Laptop in the living room ... faster direct connection to the internet
D) Second Floor Master Bedroom
- plugged in a CAT5 from the wall plug to my desktop computer
E) Second Floor Bedroom 2 - from the wall plug ran a CAT5 cable to the back of a second Edimax Dual-band Router (provides wireless connection to the front ... 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz connections) ...
- plugged in a CAT5 from the router to my Epson printer ... on Home Network
- plugged in 2 other CAT5 from the router to the 2 2TB External TD ... on Home Network
F) Garage - plugged into the wall outlet a DLink DIR505 Wireless Extender ... extends the 2.4GHz to the end of the driveway

Sound Equipment:
- Sony 600W 5.1 Sound System ... rear satellite speakers on wall with speaker cables wired under the floor through the basement
- connected via HDMI to the TV

TV: Vizio 55" 4K Smart ... mounted on wall using the TygerClaw Wall Mount

Desktop Computer in Living Room:
- Asus Motherboard
- AMD 8-Core CPU with Stock CPU Fan
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 2x 2TB Seagate Hard Drives ...
- 2GB Asus Video Card with HDMI
- wireless keyboard and mouse
*** Connected via HDMI to the TV

Rogers Standard Definition Box (Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4290) ... the one and only SD Box that has unblocked HDMI port to connect to the TV to watch HD channels ... I pay the price of the SD Box but get the quality of the HD Box

Provider of Services: Rogers ... Ignite 100 (which I am getting average speeds of 180mpbs download) ... Digital Plus cable package

Some pics:
IMAG5336.jpg
IMAG5337.jpg
IMAG5338.jpg
IMAG5339.jpg
IMAG5340.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
How is the electrical panel not mounted to a piece of plywood first?
I've never seen that before
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
tebore wrote: How is the electrical panel not mounted to a piece of plywood first?
I've never seen that before
Old school thinking ... same here! I was looking for a piece of plywood but it was never used by the builder.

Here's a pic of the back of the circuit breaker panel ... top and bottom has steel brackets mounted behind the insulation:
IMAG5350.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Desktop computer in living room is not connecting to the receiver ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
willy wrote: Desktop computer in living room is not connecting to the receiver ?
Desktop is connected to receiver ... On-board Audio GREEN on back of computer to RED/WHITE on Receiver ...
HDMI from Video Card direct to TV

The Audio Out from the SD Box connected to the RED/WHITE on the Receiver ...
HDMI from SD Box direct to TV

The Receiver/DVD Player direct to TV via HDMI

My TV has 5 HDMI Ports ... one is reserved now for the Nintendo Classic Console that is coming out in 3 weeks ...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I have a few "central" points with switches feeding various things.
Living room has a 24 port for consoles, printer that's nearby, HTPC, UPS, and some legacy things like my RPi that I haven't moved yet.
Other end has another 24 port switch for IP Phone, Stack of servers, A couple more UPSes, a PDU, gaming machine, workstations, more workstations, label printer
Main Bedroom has a switch for HTPC, workstation, IP phone.
Other "bedroom" has another 24 port for more servers, UPS, workstation.
Den has an 8 port switch for a workstation and
Closet has a 24 port switch for modems
Hallways have APs
Kitchen has an 8 port for kitchen computer, label printer

Everything is piped around via VLANs feeding separate pfSenses.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Apr 3, 2010
311 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal
If you dont get cancer, rumors about electromagnetic fields can be put to rest

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)