Computers & Electronics

Howto: Connecting an MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box to an old US/NTSC analog TV set

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2016 9:48 pm
Aug 23, 2016
6 posts

Howto: Connecting an MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box to an old US/NTSC analog TV set

I have a need to connect my newly acquired MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box to an old US/NTSC analog TV set through its A/V port. So, I bought this inexpensive A/V Cable For Android Tv Box to connect them. When I powered up my TV Box, it showed the video was in an out of sync black/white mode. After getting some helps from lead and Faith24 shown in this discussion thread, I now managed to fix the PAL/NTSC display problem and be able to enjoy my MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box on my old US/NTSC analog TV set through its A/V port.

The following is the list of steps I took on how to fix the problem:
  1. First, connect the MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box through its HDMI port to the 3-RCA ports on the old US/NTSC analog TV set using this Mini HDMI2AV Signal Converter (borrowed from a friend) so the video will be properly displayed on the TV set.
  2. Boot the MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box and navigate through to the setting menu as shown below.
    settings-menu.png
  3. Select the Display sub-menu and make sure the Screen resolution button is selected (don't press OK button at the remote control, yet).
    display-menu.png
  4. Now, unplug the HDMI cable off the MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box and the Mini HDMI2AV Signal Converter from the old US/NTSC analog TV set.
  5. Plug the A/V cable to the A/V port on the MXQ Pro Android 5.1.1 S905 OTT TV Box and the 3-RCA plugs to the old US/NTSC analog TV set. In my case, the 3-RCA plugs I bought has the video signal on the RED RCA plug. The old US/NTSC analog TV set should show the Display sub-menu in an out of sync black/white mode.
  6. Now, press the OK button on the remote control to get into the Screen resolution sub-menu. At this stage, the video on the TV set is still in an out of sync black/white mode. But, let's assure it is in the 576 cvbs mode as shown below.
    screen-resolution-576cvbs-menu.png
  7. Now, press the up button once to select the 480 cvbs mode and the video in the TV set will now be in sync mode.
    screen-resolution-480cvbs-menu.png
There is all there to it. I hope this will help others, too.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12003 posts
4361 upvotes
Winnipeg
a little feedback search on the ali/a/v cable link indicates its not a normal cable its got "connector for video-red audio-white yellow." so if your using it for a raspberry pi it may not work (try the red for video). Probably won't matter for android boxes. But just a heads up cause this is actually quite common problem on these cheap cables.
Aug 23, 2016
6 posts
I don't have any RPi device. But, you are right the A/V cable I bought from AliExpress has video-red plug. I believe this type of cable rejected by manufacturer and dumped out at a much lower price. As with the quality, I really can't tell. All I can tell is the video quality in NTSC mode is far less than the video quality from an HDMI port in even in a 720p mode.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12003 posts
4361 upvotes
Winnipeg
Habibie wrote: I don't have any RPi device. But, you are right the A/V cable I bought from AliExpress has video-red plug. I believe this type of cable rejected by manufacturer and dumped out at a much lower price. As with the quality, I really can't tell. All I can tell is the video quality in NTSC mode is far less than the video quality from an HDMI port in even in a 720p mode.
this one has video yellow. need to test out on rpi tho
http://www.********.com/cables-connecto ... 04062.html
Dec 16, 2016
1 posts
I bought an enybox x2 Android tv box for an analog tv I have A/V to rca cable. Plugged it up and my tv begins to flicker. What could be the problem? How can I troubleshoot it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)