• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 6:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
470 posts
116 upvotes
the 604

HP Chromebook X2 -- who's into this?

we haven't hit the officially release date later this month, but a few ppl have gotten the pre-order shipped already

two part early review:

i'm in between the next Galaxy Tab S4, or a Chromebook with detachable, writable screen like the X2. have used Android tablets for years now as part of my workflow, but now that Chromebooks can run Android apps, Linux apps, and have detachable screens, maybe it's time to make a switch?

what's the difference in performance between the Snapdragon 835/Adreno 540 (Galaxy Tab S4, rumoured) and the Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake (X2)?
16 replies
Jun 10, 2006
351 posts
58 upvotes
Yea, for sure this looks interesting! The Acer Chromebook Tab 10 also piques my interest, maybe even more so -- although the Intel M3 would be much more compatible with running Linux than the Rockchip.
Jan 11, 2016
4 posts
Ottawa, ON
Sure looks interesting to me! I have a ASUS Chromebook Flip C302, but rarely use it in "tablet mode". It has the m3-6Y40, and it surely matches, if not supersede, the power of my Pixel 2 XL.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
470 posts
116 upvotes
the 604
June 10 is the US drop date, wonder if Canada will get it the same time, and how much of a massive mark-up it's gonna be.

a config like the X2 ticks a lot of boxes for me, but $599 USD is clocking in at $775.

Samsung has a detachable Chromebook code-named "Nautilus" coming this year too ...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4287 posts
440 upvotes
I like "high-end" Chromebooks (Asus Chromebook Flip C302, Samsung Chromebook Pro) so I'm into this, but initial launch price a bit much for me. I will wait until price drop. I own/have owned both the aforementioned Chromebooks above
I am a Koodo customer
Jul 26, 2018
1 posts
2 upvotes
I just picked one up from the US this weekend. I couldn't wait for it to be available in Canada. And, with the track record Canada has with making Chromebooks available, I wouldn't be surprised if this one doesn't make it here.
So far I am impressed. This is my first Chromebook, and I had been looking for something to replace my ageing Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet. The fact that it is a true detachable was a big draw for me.
The build appears very solid. I am very pleased about the quality and looks of the device. Some people don't really like the white tablet part and dark blue keyboard bottom, but I really like it. It is distinctive.
The keyboard is very good. It is full size, and the whole thing is quite rigid. There is no bend and twist when I type on it the way that the MS Surface keyboard bends. I wish it had backlighting though. That's something HP initially advertised, but it doesn't have it. The stiffness adds to the overall weight of the device, but that's so much better than a flimsy and light keyboard. What's also very nice is that the way the hinge works, it slightly lifts the keyboard from the table and makes typing more comfortable.
I see many comments about how pricey this Chromebook is, but I don't really see it that way. Sure, it's more expensive than most Chromebooks, but the quality of the hardware is so much better. I played around with other Chromebooks at the store, and aside from the Pixelbook, which is $500 more expensive when taking into account the pen, the HP Chromebook X2 is the best hardware of all of them.
Like others, I am a bit bummed out about the little 32G of storage. However, it has an SD card slot for additional storage. I thought about it hard, and realized that I have been doing almost all of my computing on my 32G tablet for the last 4 years, and I haven't had an issue with the storage limit. I am already "living" in the Google Cloud, so I don't expect the transition to be too difficult.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1982 posts
206 upvotes
York
Great to hear somebody's first hand experience! Is Bestbuy the only US retailer selling this model? It's weird as they have a standup ad beside the device for $599 but the X2 is currently $649 on the website.

I too was down in the US over the weekend and got a chance to try out the HP X2 as well and was overly impressed. It was right beside both the Asus C302 Flip (which I have currently) and the Google Pixelbook. The HP doesn't have as good of a build quality as the Pixelbook, but its also about $400 cheaper so not comparable in that sense. I do really like the ability to detach the tablet from the keyboard as with the Asus Flip its not as practical to use in tablet form with the swivel latch. The keyboard's magnetic connection is very solid so I don't believe their will be longevity issues with that. It also has really nice B&O stereo speakers which was unexpected. Only negatives for me is the lack of a backlit keyboard and the 32GB storage (even though microSD is an option).

I hope they do sell it here eventually as I wouldn't mind picking it up if it ever goes on sale. But rumour has it the Pixelbook 2 may be able to detach as well, and the Acer Spin 13 looks like a good competitor as well (even though it doesn't detach as a tablet).
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2761 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
this HP X2 certainly is very interesting. I picked up an Asus Flip C302a over a year+ ago & love it. it's my most used internet media device over windows & android lappie/tab. the flip is just small & light enough to be totally transportable anywhere.

strangely though, I hardly use the Asus in tablet mode so I'm unsure if the detachable kb has any real world functionality for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2761 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
Electrocutus wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 7:25 pm
Like others, I am a bit bummed out about the little 32G of storage. However, it has an SD card slot for additional storage. I thought about it hard, and realized that I have been doing almost all of my computing on my 32G tablet for the last 4 years, and I haven't had an issue with the storage limit. I am already "living" in the Google Cloud, so I don't expect the transition to be too difficult.
dont be! my Asus has 64gb storage but I hardly even manage to fill up 10gb as most if not all chromeOS apps live online/cloud (I think google gives a free 100gb when u sign up). for me, 32gb is more than enough although I'd take 8gb ram all day over increased storage.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4287 posts
440 upvotes
The reviews on this have been very good, waiting for the eventual price drop before I get it
I am a Koodo customer
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
470 posts
116 upvotes
the 604
where can we even get this in Canada?!? HP take my goddamn money.
Dec 26, 2012
947 posts
504 upvotes
Canada
Really sucks this isn't available in Canada. It's a great alternative to the surface.
Feb 11, 2007
359 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
I'm heading to Hawaii tomorrow, and I see it's on sale for $499 for pre-Black Friday sales. How is it accessing the SD card from Android apps, for example if you wanted to store movies or comics on the SD card?
I've read about "stuttering", anyone experienced that?

Fingers crossed.