Ongoing Deal Discussion

[HP Shopping] HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100 & VR games deals thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 9:38 pm
Aug 20, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
Waiting for my package to be picked up. Unfortunately, I'm still on the Shipping Label Created status, even after 24 hours.

I hope that someone creates a working plugin for getting Oculus or/and Vibe controller working with WMR headset!!

Congrats on those who received it already Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Dec 21, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
Banff
xavier6541 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:43 pm
Waiting for my package to be picked up. Unfortunately, I'm still on the Shipping Label Created status, even after 24 hours.
Same.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1198 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm. After playing with it, even with the low cost, I don't think I can recommend this headset as an entry to VR... While the screen is brighter and more vibrant than the Lenovo Explorer (even the rift to some aspect), the "sweet spot" is even more narrow than the Explorer, making everything blurry most of the time. The headset is more rigid than the explorer and it is difficult to lock on to the sweet spot. Ghosting of the screen is a significant problem. If you want to get into mixed reality, I would save the money and wait for the Explorer to go on sales for 249.99 or lower again.

So for those that missed out, you didn't miss out.

For those that got it, please don't hate on Windows Mixed reality due to poor experience...

No wonder there is a fire sale... So far I've only bought 2 things from the HP websites, This and the HP Touchpad during firesale. Both are flawed products but I guess justifies by the low price.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1915 posts
1848 upvotes
ive had vorpx for a few years now but since they got quite a few major updates in the last few years i wanted to try again..
I tried oculus 2 times. bought it sold it .. bought it sold it. I hated it too much to like vr, it was very warm on the face. very bulky even tried buying a 1080ti to get it running and it wasnt the best experience the sensors got on my nerves the thick cables going to the pc were annoying.
the psvr was the best experience and extremely confortable on the head compared to oculus rift.. always in the right position within the game. very smooth play. im hoping this is a sweet spot between both system. sold that system too just not enough vr content on the psvr to like it to keep it for a long time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5141 posts
1081 upvotes
Thornhill
Wow, the deal was great, too bad no longer available. Hopefully on Boxing day it will come in again. I had an older PC over the summer when I tried it and it didn't work well( $ was 299)
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1165 posts
516 upvotes
Guelph
Real_GM wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:34 pm
Hmmm. After playing with it, even with the low cost, I don't think I can recommend this headset as an entry to VR... While the screen is brighter and more vibrant than the Lenovo Explorer (even the rift to some aspect), the "sweet spot" is even more narrow than the Explorer, making everything blurry most of the time. The headset is more rigid than the explorer and it is difficult to lock on to the sweet spot. Ghosting of the screen is a significant problem. If you want to get into mixed reality, I would save the money and wait for the Explorer to go on sales for 249.99 or lower again.

So for those that missed out, you didn't miss out.

For those that got it, please don't hate on Windows Mixed reality due to poor experience...

No wonder there is a fire sale... So far I've only bought 2 things from the HP websites, This and the HP Touchpad during firesale. Both are flawed products but I guess justifies by the low price.
Really eh? I have tried a few, at the price I got it for, including cash back, i couldnt imagine not recommending it. Its not perfect but its well made. I just make sure I tighten the headset at the right point on my forehead and the FOV is fine, little to no blur.

I will say though. My controllers will not after hours of tinkering reconnect. They are paired with windows but when I go into the Bluetooth settings it won't say connected. My Xbox controller will connect and I can use it but the motion controllers just won't work after one successful time. When I'm in the mixed reality hub, the controller settings go away.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
1983 posts
621 upvotes
burlington, on
do you guys know what is the return policy for this? I bought them but I would like open for Christmas. not sure I will like. should I open now?!
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1653 posts
86 upvotes
cayolargo wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 7:38 pm
do you guys know what is the return policy for this? I bought them but I would like open for Christmas. not sure I will like. should I open now?!
Details are here:
https://store.hp.com/canadastore/merch/ ... er-service

Normally 30 days for returns, with extension until January 18th for holiday gift purchases. Returns include free return shipping.
Dec 21, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
Banff
Purolator has picked it up and it's enroute from Toronto. A Christmas miracle indeed!
Jun 4, 2007
414 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
So...my first one I received Saturday (Puro felt awful that driver intentionally did not try to deliver for 3 days...jerk, so they special delivered for Sat and I didnt even ask for it) looked a tiny bit off...consumer tape on the box...the regular full tape cut...box was scuffed up...but the internal box was ok to my inspection. Everything was in its own plastic bag and was properly stored.

Then I went thru the process to install and plug it in...and bought recommended extension cables for it as per reddit...which I needed as my ThinkPads HDMI was on one side and the USB on the other...and not enough length to plug either in...so then spent 2+ hours trying to get a signal into the headset...which I finally got to work...and as soon as put the headset on...loss of video...this went on for another hour as I tried to figure out if it was a cable or my Thinkpad or extension cable....etc.

After a few hours...finally get it on my head and can see with it...but by moving the cable from the headset and the connector...nope cuts out...again and again. Well I finally got it to work for hour after hanging the cable over a door frame to straighten it...just incase. This seemed to work better and I was able to play some Alien Isolation...but the controller was all over the place..and seemed like something like a key was stuck on the KB, but I check it all out and nothing...so more troubleshooting...and again some reboots later, hold the cable in this position wrapped around my head, make sure the cables are snug...predict the lotto max numbers...and it worked.

Forward to today....got my 2nd one (bought it for spare parts when I move countries in a couple months) and its in different packaging...looks much newer, properly sealed up. So I replace everything and low and behold...perfect...no issues whatsoever. In fact the old headset, even though it looked new, didn't fit as well...the racket was worn in..and some other little things that seemed suspect to me...meaning that most likely it was refurb.

Anyways...a great deal...and I'll get the original replaced after I identify exactly whats messed up on it.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3249 posts
1019 upvotes
BC
g00f wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 4:23 pm
So...my first one I received Saturday (Puro felt awful that driver intentionally did not try to deliver for 3 days...jerk, so they special delivered for Sat and I didnt even ask for it) looked a tiny bit off...consumer tape on the box...the regular full tape cut...box was scuffed up...but the internal box was ok to my inspection. Everything was in its own plastic bag and was properly stored.

Then I went thru the process to install and plug it in...and bought recommended extension cables for it as per reddit...which I needed as my ThinkPads HDMI was on one side and the USB on the other...and not enough length to plug either in...so then spent 2+ hours trying to get a signal into the headset...which I finally got to work...and as soon as put the headset on...loss of video...this went on for another hour as I tried to figure out if it was a cable or my Thinkpad or extension cable....etc.

After a few hours...finally get it on my head and can see with it...but by moving the cable from the headset and the connector...nope cuts out...again and again. Well I finally got it to work for hour after hanging the cable over a door frame to straighten it...just incase. This seemed to work better and I was able to play some Alien Isolation...but the controller was all over the place..and seemed like something like a key was stuck on the KB, but I check it all out and nothing...so more troubleshooting...and again some reboots later, hold the cable in this position wrapped around my head, make sure the cables are snug...predict the lotto max numbers...and it worked.

Forward to today....got my 2nd one (bought it for spare parts when I move countries in a couple months) and its in different packaging...looks much newer, properly sealed up. So I replace everything and low and behold...perfect...no issues whatsoever. In fact the old headset, even though it looked new, didn't fit as well...the racket was worn in..and some other little things that seemed suspect to me...meaning that most likely it was refurb.

Anyways...a great deal...and I'll get the original replaced after I identify exactly whats messed up on it.
Good info, thanks for sharing.
I get mine on Thursday and I will now be on the lookout for signs of refurb. I don't want any shenanigans over the holidays so I will quickly RMA it if I need to.

Can you explain ..or maybe take some pics of the packaging differences to look out for?

PS. which extension cables did you get?
Aug 20, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
Got mine this morning, I need to set my IPD it's kinda blurry sometimes but in general, everything is smooth and work great!

Oh btw, my unit was sealed and no scuff of mark on it.

Thanks OP for this perfect deal!
Oct 31, 2006
502 posts
110 upvotes
First impressions - I had the rift before and can truly say if I bought this at full price it would have been sent back already. For this price though I will keep playing around with it. My intention was to use it for sim racing but after one session I was completely sick lol. I do not suffer from motion sickness but due to the small sweet spot you cannot hold this unit in focus without having to constantly adjust the headset. It just made me sick after about 10 minutes of racing. If it worked as intended it is a completely different driving experience I must say.

BTW although I got this within 2 days from Purolator last week I was expecting another delivery that day and only received it after 6 days today - driver told me this morning he has been with company for 37 years and he has never seen their backlog this bad - they apparently have containers that have yet to be opened. Going by the reviews posted in the last few days I believe him.
Jun 11, 2010
309 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
xarcosis wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:07 pm
Ebates land for anyone
Right after it shipped I checked. Nothing. Sent a message to support and they fixed it for me. 12% too, not 10%. But I'm wondering if it didn't automatically go through because HP still hasn't charged my credit card....