Ongoing Deal Discussion

[HP Shopping] HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100 & VR games deals thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 9:38 pm
Oct 31, 2006
499 posts
108 upvotes
To the guys who got this something to check out - my headset just got the "known" WMR black screen issue only for me it's not the easy fix but seems to be the permanent variant. It tracks and my main monitor display shows the movement however the headset itself will stay black. Tried all suggestions from various forums but of note was the fact that when it was working the connection end of the cable to the headset was always a bit warm(supposedly expected behavior) but now it stays cool. I have tried on 3 different systems and they all do the same(Nvidia and AMD graphic cards) so I am pretty much certain the issue is the headset. To make matters worse I went ahead and checked HP site for options and saw the warranty link - this "BRAND NEW" set has an ACTIVE warranty since 2017 which only has 13 days left in my case. Now you can dispute this but the fact is this looks more like a refurbished set sold as new. So if you have opened yours please go check you warrranty status.

Merry Christmas!
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1648 posts
85 upvotes
Sorry to hear about the Warranty issue. I just checked mine and it is good until Dec 5, 2019.

Thanks again OP, this has been a big hit all xmas morning. Super Hot and Beat Saber are great games and I'm running on a pretty modest setup (GTX 750 2GB) without issue. I'm impressed.

For Subnautica, if you launch and find the menu is "below the floor" and unreachable, just hit F2 on your keyboard and it re-centers it for you. Took me 30 minutes of research/trials to discover that fix. :) Controls for Subnautica leave a lot to be desired.

Have only played a few minutes of the Portal Stories VR on steam, and it seems like a great free game too.

If I am understanding the problems people experience with this product, it is largely the proprietary connector at the headset to blame it seems. I'm going to put a few wraps of electrical tape on there to prevent it from ever coming off and just leave it permanently connected. Hopefully that helps reduce the chance of damaging it from use.

I extended the USB and HDMI with 10ft cables, no issues. My one complaint so far is I have already burned through a set of batteries on the controllers in probably under 2-3 hours of use. I think my battery issue may be the distance to my bluetooth dongle so may look to extend that as well.
Oct 31, 2006
499 posts
108 upvotes
To anyone following the thread or who run into the issue with black screen on headset apparently they shipped older models which may run into the "known" cable issue - they will be sending an updated cable. Also HP website gives you a general number to call but the WMR issues fall under HP Omen support which has a dedicated number 1-866-724-8628

Happy New Year!
Feb 7, 2008
46 posts
31 upvotes
I thought I had received a defective unit as I was experiencing movement tracking only and the display in the headset was not lighting up. The problem ended up not being the headset, but the fact that I had defined a custom resolution for my monitor (overclocked the refresh rate to 75Hz). Once I reset that to default (60Hz) the headset worked perfectly. Just something to check before calling customer support or returning.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3076 posts
824 upvotes
BC
cobretti wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 12:51 pm
To anyone following the thread or who run into the issue with black screen on headset apparently they shipped older models which may run into the "known" cable issue - they will be sending an updated cable. Also HP website gives you a general number to call but the WMR issues fall under HP Omen support which has a dedicated number 1-866-724-8628

Happy New Year!
Interesting, thanks for the info. My headset would only show blackscreen UNTIL I set experience to 60hz. 90hz or automatic do not work. I wonder if its just a cord replacement that will fix this?

They are sending me a new one - did it fix the blackscreen issues for you?
Oct 31, 2006
499 posts
108 upvotes
sorry did not get a chance to update but the new cable they sent arrived Wednesday and has resolved the issue.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3076 posts
824 upvotes
BC
cobretti wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:07 am
sorry did not get a chance to update but the new cable they sent arrived Wednesday and has resolved the issue.
Did they new cord they sent actually look any different compared to the first one at all?
I spoke with them too and they knew nothing about new vs old cords. They guy I spoke with was curious about it and put me on hold to ask his manager who also knew nothing about it but they were happy to send me another one to try.
Oct 31, 2006
499 posts
108 upvotes
no the cord looks exactly the same as far as I can tell. Don't know if you saw my first post about the issue but the cord did not warm up at the connector end any longer ( the new one warms up again). When I said that to him he noted the point regarding the older units shipping with the cord known to run into this. I am still not 100% happy because as noted in my post my unit has a manufacture date in 2017 and the warranty was activated back in December 2017 (still think it was refurbished unit sold as new so them telling you they know nothing about I would personally treat with the same distrust). Anyway the guy I spoke to definitely knew about the cord issue as soon as I explained my symptoms and my call was over very quickly as well. I can't complain about the support though he was very helpful and I received the replacement within 48 hours of my call.
Dec 26, 2012
464 posts
258 upvotes
CHARLESBOURG
Damn it really sucks that some people appear to have gotten refurbs. I got one of the "sorry we're all out, oh no Wait we received more" batch. The VR set works fine and warranty is from nov 28th 2018 to dec 1st 2019. Found some extension cables that are tried and confirmed to work with HP WMR and even a carry case for the PSVR that has been tested and confirmed to fit the HP. Couldn't be more pleased.

For those looking for a rigid carry case, I found a few options but the choice is rather limited since there is no official WMR case available.
Some people are modding PSVR case for a cheaper solution https://imgur.com/a/Zg77R
I bought the one recommanded in this article http://lancelarsen.com/mixed-reality-he ... uld-i-get/

As for extension cables, since not all cables will work, I found some tried and tested ones. Some guy on youtube tried a few of them and found that the AmazonBasics HDMI extension cable and Cables Matters USB 3.0 extensions worked well in 6ft size. He reported 2 months of use without problems but some people reported problems when using the 10ft size.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01D5H ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CFL ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by kowell on Jan 8th, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2005
389 posts
155 upvotes
cobretti wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:21 am
no the cord looks exactly the same as far as I can tell. Don't know if you saw my first post about the issue but the cord did not warm up at the connector end any longer ( the new one warms up again). When I said that to him he noted the point regarding the older units shipping with the cord known to run into this. I am still not 100% happy because as noted in my post my unit has a manufacture date in 2017 and the warranty was activated back in December 2017 (still think it was refurbished unit sold as new so them telling you they know nothing about I would personally treat with the same distrust). Anyway the guy I spoke to definitely knew about the cord issue as soon as I explained my symptoms and my call was over very quickly as well. I can't complain about the support though he was very helpful and I received the replacement within 48 hours of my call.
Thank you for your post. Where did you find the manufacture date?