Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

HP Stream Mini 200-010 Signature Edition Wintel STB Desktop Windows 8.1 - $179

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2016 9:24 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2012
1430 posts
1157 upvotes
Anyone know if this thing will fit a regular laptop HDD into it?
Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
Luyuan20 wrote: Anyone know if this thing will fit a regular laptop HDD into it?
While there is space and even a mounting bracket for a drive, there are no SATA connectors, only an M.2 connection.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
Bum_Gravey wrote: While there is space and even a mounting bracket for a drive, there are no SATA connectors, only an M.2 connection.
from youtube which the little ZIF connector is visible at 1:21min

David Hernandez1 month ago

You can also add a 2.5 notebook HDD to the Stream mini. In the corner of the motherboard is a little ZIF connector that a proprietary SATA + power cable plugs into (HP p/n:794966-001). Still haven't found a place to buy it yet, but I'm working on it.

you can view the little zif cable on this video at 00:31sec marks

Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
2Riskit wrote: from youtube which the little ZIF connector is visible at 1:21min you can view the little zif cable on this video at 00:31sec marks
Fair enough... but for the here and now, it's not immediately possible. Unless you know where you can get the specialized cable for it. If you do know where, I'd be interested since I've got a few laptops HDD I'd love to throw in the one I ordered for extra local storage.

The HP part number for that specialized SATA cable is 794966-001 but it won't let you order it from HP so if anyone know of anywhere else to look, I'm all ears.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Interesting. Would this be useful for downloading movies and watching it next to your tv?

What about loading Mac OS X onto it?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1786 posts
1065 upvotes
Toronto
Perfect timing. Was looking to get a mini PC for a friend as a gift. Was about to get the pipo or voyo, but this is I think a better choice.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
Bum_Gravey wrote: Fair enough... but for the here and now, it's not immediately possible. Unless you know where you can get the specialized cable for it. If you do know where, I'd be interested since I've got a few laptops HDD I'd love to throw in the one I ordered for extra local storage.

The HP part number for that specialized SATA cable is 794966-001 but it won't let you order it from HP so if anyone know of anywhere else to look, I'm all ears.
the question on the YT channel is if these will work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Hard-Drive- ... 1565736513
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting... if only Intel would add a gigabit port to the Compute Stick, I wouldn't have to be thinking about this!!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP.

Just order this online at the educational price of $161.10

Had to call in to their customer support line to get the price adjusted, as the product is too new.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Bum_Gravey wrote: While there is space and even a mounting bracket for a drive, there are no SATA connectors, only an M.2 connection.
Aren't M.2 ssd's more expensive than first gen mSATA's?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
This is a great price given our weak dollar. Big thumbs up to MS for not jacking up Canadian pricing like Apple did.

Will probably order this weekend.
Jul 3, 2013
377 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Can it do optical (minitoslink) over the 3.5mm

don't really understand or did I see this anywhere
HDMI 5.1 Audio Passthrough with Audio Extractor according to HP. ""Default HDMI cannot pass 5.1 audio. You would need to get a separate audio 5.1 channel extractor to do that."
Jan 9, 2013
189 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Luyuan20 wrote: This thing is so cute lol...I'm just gonna get one as a backup for when I need to send in my laptop for repair. Not too shabby for $161 aft edu discount. CPU isn't too bad either, I bet you could run League of Legends on this thing. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+1.40GHz
You can, Lon did a review on it running lol at about 30 fps average
Mar 6, 2011
199 posts
29 upvotes
wow the passmark is 1518? in that small of a box. i didn't realize this before, but the laptop i got my grandma has AMD E-450, it could play skyrim/sleeping dog at 25fps on low setting, just did a search the passmark is only 700+ for E-450.

Wtf is going on? My toshiba laptop with i7-4700MQ doesn't feel that much faster than the AMD E-450 lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2504 posts
317 upvotes
dukati wrote: Can it do optical (minitoslink) over the 3.5mm

don't really understand or did I see this anywhere
HDMI 5.1 Audio Passthrough with Audio Extractor according to HP. ""Default HDMI cannot pass 5.1 audio. You would need to get a separate audio 5.1 channel extractor to do that."
Where did this information come from? Crippled HDMI would be terrible for a HTPC. I was expecting to use XBMC/Kodi + DTS-HD/MA
Jul 3, 2013
377 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
enforcerviper wrote: Where did this information come from? Crippled HDMI would be terrible for a HTPC. I was expecting to use XBMC/Kodi + DTS-HD/MA
OP.

Yea I'm gonna buy it and try anyway. No passthrough is pretty big deal breaker imo. Buying an extractor is inconvenient and another $50 for a reasonable one. Audio in tech specs says dts sound+. So I'm assuming it does HDMI audio.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
october88 wrote: wow the passmark is 1518? in that small of a box. i didn't realize this before, but the laptop i got my grandma has AMD E-450, it could play skyrim/sleeping dog at 25fps on low setting, just did a search the passmark is only 700+ for E-450.

Wtf is going on? My toshiba laptop with i7-4700MQ doesn't feel that much faster than the AMD E-450 lol.
AMD's generally have much better onboard graphics than Intel which is why AMD bought ATI years ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2504 posts
317 upvotes
dukati wrote: OP.

Yea I'm gonna buy it and try anyway. No passthrough is pretty big deal breaker imo. Buying an extractor is inconvenient and another $50 for a reasonable one. Audio in tech specs says dts sound+. So I'm assuming it does HDMI audio.
Amazon reviews says DTS-HD works just fine.. What's an audio extractor anyway? Extract audio from HDMI to analog 3.5mm or toslink?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)