HPB, pavers and edging...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 2:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 15, 2017
3 posts

HPB, pavers and edging...

I've been reading the available HPB posts as I am in the process of having a 550 sq. ft. patio built with Techo Bloc Blu 60. The landscaping company is a reputable one in the West end of the city (Oakville/Burlington) and will be using HPB. The plan is to dig 9", followed by Geotextile, 6" of 1/4" chip clear HPB, pavers then finished with polymeric sand. The HPB will be compacted in the process.
The contractor says he does not like edging as it does not sit well with HPB making it irreleavant and instead he says the pad will extend 6". Contractor says he has never had an issue with pavers shifting.
I can't seem to find any intel on this online hence I would appreciate any professional comments/advise on pavers without edging when laid on HPB.
Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1247 posts
425 upvotes
Alliston, ON
When I did my patio last summer I did a base of granular A, then HPB. I used Gator Edging around everything and used spikes that were long enough to go into undisturbed soil. If you are using short spikes that don't make it past the HPB layer, then they have nothing solid to sink into. I think I used 14" spikes
[OP]
Jul 15, 2017
3 posts
Thanks!
Any thoughts on the Contractor's recommendation to go without edging and simply extend the pad 6"?
Oct 14, 2007
357 posts
33 upvotes
Amsa123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:59 pm
Thanks!
Any thoughts on the Contractor's recommendation to go without edging and simply extend the pad 6"?
How big are the blocks? for our patio, there was no edging - there is just over 6" extension of the HPB skirt around the area. Mind you we used very large natural stone weighing more than 100lbs a slab so I'm not sure if that mattered.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2017
3 posts
The blocks are big which is why we picked them (Techo Bloc Blu 60). Manufacturer only gives dimensions but contractor says the stones are pretty heavy. Here are the measurements of the the slabs:
Small: H/D/L: 2 3/8" / 13" / 6.5"
Medium: H/D/L: 2 3/8" / 13" / 13"
Large: H/D/L: 2 3/8" / 13" / 19.5"