Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 18, 2006
142 posts
1 upvote

HR/Social Worker/Accountant?

Hey guys,

I have always wondered what it would be like to be in HR or a social worker.

I always loved and had a talent with people and am currently in Accountant.

I am good at it but am wondering what is it like and what opportunities are there?

If you have any experience please share.

I would be interested in HR - Recruitment and retention or as a social worker helping new immigrants adjust and getting them around Canada.

I know its a huge switch but let me know!

Thanks!!
3 replies
Jun 23, 2009
226 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe you can start by voluteering in this field? For example, I believe there is a group called SUCCESS that helps new asian immigrants adapt to Canada. They often are looking for professional volunteers to mentor these people - and I think accountants are in high demand as mentors.

You might find that volunteering helps you to make the connections to get your next job OR you might find that the volunteering meets your needs and you can be happy in your current job + the after work volunteering.
Feb 21, 2010
7 posts
Los Vegas
Volunteering is a good idea. Of course, you're looking at having to have a university degree to work in this area but if you're up to the challenge there does seem to be a lot of advertised positions especially on the west coast. Another thing to consider is that you will have to maintain your license and for Americans they have to take additional courses to keep licensed. My sister is a social worker and she does her social work ceu online, which is much less expensive than having to travel to a college to take night classes. It might be a bit different situation if you're in Ontario though.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
HR - Join a big/mid-size firm and you can be involved in recruiting events every Jul-Sep

Social work - Join an NPO as a board member or non-paid director. You can be heavily involved in the direction and development of programs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)