Students

HRM- Guelph vs York?

[OP]
Mar 27, 2018
1 posts

HRM- Guelph vs York?

Hi. I’m planning to go to a university in Ontario and I would want to major in HRM. I’m really leaning towards Guelph because I’ve heard it has great student life and is a pretty good school. UWO is also an option. I know Guelph has an HRM program but I also know that York is known for their School of HRM which is the first in Canada and is supposed to be really good. But, i don’t know if the York student life would be for me. Please help!
2 replies
Apr 13, 2010
132 posts
34 upvotes
I graduated from the School of HRM. I'd say, comparatively the programs are more or less equal. I had a great student life at York, but I squeezed alot out of it - doing academic exchange, working on campus, joining clubs, etc. Sure, its in the middle of the burbs and the buildings look like a time warp to the 1980s but other than that I'm fine with it.

Guelph might be a bit more fun to be part of a small town university feel though. I don't know what causes you to think its undecided if the student life is for you; the only thing I guess you mean is if "student life" is code for "campus environment" which is different just on geographic vicinity alone.

What I did like about York is that it offered a closer base to Toronto, and it was super important for me to finish class and go downtown to whatever business networking or handshaking exercise I needed to do in my 3rd or 4th year to get a job. Harder to accommodate if you're in guelph, or if you plan on working there. But I do like that Guelph has its own student consulting club for organizational consulting (https://www.uoguelph.ca/omsconsulting/w ... -solutions); I know a PhD student that split time with that group. I don't think YorkU has something like that, and its HR student association is just a student club without a mandate to consult other groups. Could be wrong since its been awhile.

The best HR schools on the planet are actually in the states with Cornell, maybe Vanderbilt/Ross. I'd say it's quite equivalent across Canada.
May 19, 2015
941 posts
364 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
I would look at co-ops too... I dont know about York but someone I know's daughter went to Guelph and getting a job and networking wasn't a problem because she had co-op throughout her studies.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️