Careers

HRM post graduate diploma

[OP]
May 7, 2008
21 posts
Canada

HRM post graduate diploma

I am looking for the best college for Human Resource Management Post Grad Diploma.Can any one help me for the best college between Sheridan, George Brown, Seneca and Humber.Does Seneca co-op help.
16 replies
Dec 7, 2004
151 posts
10 upvotes
I went to Sheridan for my post grad in HRM. I can't comment on the other schools but I was very satisfied with my choice to go with Sheridan.

Co-op helps you out a lot because it's hard to get entry level experience in HR. Having a co-op makes it easier to break into the field and start your career.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the program at Sheridan or any other HR questions.
Jul 8, 2006
88 posts
37 upvotes
I am in the same predicament as you, OP. However, I think I might end up going to Seneca since its the closest to where I live.

Bandur, what program did you graduate in university? Where are you working now if you don't mind me asking?
[OP]
May 7, 2008
21 posts
Canada
I am major in accounting.Working with a small firm in book keeping.Heading towards CMA/CGA .HRM is for my g/f.Sheridan is close where she lives but I do not know how sheridan coop program works.She is confused a bit.Does every one in Sheridan gets co-op.What are the employment rates in Sheridan.Which campus were you in.
[OP]
May 7, 2008
21 posts
Canada
thanks zexxon.When did you grad from sheridan.Do they have good number of employers for their grads.What is average $ for new grads b4 certification.Do you have to rent a laptop at Sheridan even if you have one.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3886 posts
552 upvotes
For HRM I'd say Seneca. Seneca and Centennial have the best post-grad programs out there.
Apr 19, 2004
192 posts
43 upvotes
Aurora
Ive taken classes at both Durham College and Seneca for HR, Durham College was 100x better then Seneca.
[OP]
May 7, 2008
21 posts
Canada
Thanks for the input.Durham is further out of the way.Which program out of Seneca,GB ans Sheridan makes you more employable.
Jun 18, 2008
2 posts
1 upvote
toronto
i graduated from seneca's business admin. I think co-op definitely helps you to get a job more easily. However taking a co-op program does not ensure you have a co-op experience. the college usually refers students of co-op program to co-op job interviews only. In my program, only a very small amount of students pass and get the co-op job.
Dec 7, 2004
151 posts
10 upvotes
bandur wrote:
Jun 18th, 2008 2:04 pm
thanks zexxon.When did you grad from sheridan.Do they have good number of employers for their grads.What is average $ for new grads b4 certification.Do you have to rent a laptop at Sheridan even if you have one.
1. I graduated from Sheridan in 06/07

2. In my year, they had a good selection of employers to choose from. The big names were Petro Canada, RIM, RBC, Microsoft (to name some). There were pharmaceutical companies like Sanofi Pasteur & MDS Pharma Services. The Beer Store, some IT companies, City of Mississauga, City of Brampton, and a whole bunch of other ones. Too much to name here :)

3. The average hourly rate for co-ops was $15 an hour. The lowest I heard of in my class was $12/hr, the highest I heard in my class was $22/hr.

I'm not sure what you mean about certification, do you mean the CHRP? or passing the actual program itself? For Sheridan, you need to complete the 360 hours/4-month co-op to graduate.

4. Yes, you have to rent or buy a laptop from Sheridan. They say it's to ensure that everyone can learn on the same level and whatnot, but it's basically a money grab IMHO. I'm certain they make a profit w/Dell or Lenovo or Apple depending on which one you purchase. The prices are better than regular retail, but they're nothing like Dell Deal Prices.

I believe that if you end up getting at least the average $15 an hour co-op job, you'll make enough to pay off the cost of the entire program so the program pays for itself in a way.

Oh, forgot to mention: co-ops are not guaranteed. Sometimes it's the person who just doesn't interview well, sometimes you get bad interivewers, sometimes you just forget that you actually had an interview! Regardless, Sheridan does try their hardest to get you a co-op and unless you have something seriously wrong with you (like a fear of interviewing or some other social awkwardness) you will get a co-op.

Hope this helps.
Mar 9, 2008
10 posts
brampton
I graduated from the Post diploma in 1996 from Sheridan. Even back then - they had a fantastic co-op program. I would highly recommend it.
[OP]
May 7, 2008
21 posts
Canada
Thanks to all of you for the info and zexxon thank you too;I mean professional designation after the program.Does sheridan prepare well for that?
Did you got that certification ?
Dec 7, 2004
151 posts
10 upvotes
bandur wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 10:33 am
Thanks to all of you for the info and zexxon thank you too;I mean professional designation after the program.Does sheridan prepare well for that?
Did you got that certification ?
In regards to the national exams for the CHRP, Sheridan does help you by focusing on the Required Professional Capabilities (RPC's) that's covered in the National Knolwedge (NKE) and National Professional Practice Assesment (NPPA) exams. The text books will indicate which topics are RPC's.

And as for me, I just took the NPPA in May so I'm waiting on the results in early July. I definitely have my fingers crossed for that one!
Oct 7, 2003
164 posts
Scarborough
Hi there!

I did my HR Certificate at Seneca online (continuing education) a couple of years back because I work FT. The first course which is the core one had to be done in the classroom so I did it in the evenings after work. The remaining 9 courses were done online.

www.senecac.on.ca

Just completed my NKE and hoping to write my NPPA in October. Then, fingers crossed, once I pass the NPPA, get the CHRP designation. What's next after that, who knows? :)

If you have any questions, send me a pm and I'll do my best to assist.

Good luck to you all.
Jan 20, 2004
55 posts
I'm also contemplating which program to take at what school. George Brown is the closest to me so I've been leaning towards them. I'm most interested in which one offers the best co-op opportunities out of George Brown, Seneca and Sheridan.

It seems to me that people are leaning towards Sheridan here but it's quite a far ways off for me...hmm..maybe there's a go bus that goes there.