Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
534 posts
48 upvotes
Edmonton

HRV fresh air damper linkage is broken

I have been struggling to bring the humidity down below 45% since last winter and home builder hasn't really helped me. I had a really bad condensation build-up issue last winter. So most of my window trims are water damaged.

I ended up doing some troubleshooting last night and found that the fresh air damper linkage is broken. So it has been stuck open 20% all the time and will shut when I run the ventilation(due to draft? Im not sure)

Here is my question.

If the fresh air damper is broken, where is the vent air coming from(when furnace is not running) ? Because HRV unit wont get the fresh air from the outside.

Has it been just circulating warm inside air back to the house? My House is supposed to be an air tight so that means indoor air quality must have been bad..... (high C02...)

Anybody knows how exactly does it work?
Images
  • IMG_20191118_204327.jpg
1 reply
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4042 posts
627 upvotes
Waterloo
hogujak wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 8:05 am
I have been struggling to bring the humidity down below 45% since last winter and home builder hasn't really helped me. I had a really bad condensation build-up issue last winter. So most of my window trims are water damaged.
Sheesh ! whats did they make those windows out of ? Playdoh?

I dont think Ive had any damage on windows due to 45% humidity. in fact I wish I could maintain it at 45% thruout winter. but it drops to around 40%.

do you have a humidifier?
----
Pay it forward.