• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 6:30 pm
Tags:
Apr 23, 2008
799 posts
85 upvotes
Seanne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:21 pm
Can anyone share exp. Transferring $ from eq to hsbc? Is it free? Easy eft transfers? Free back from hsbc? Just have to confirm after being charged by rbc from transfering eft out. Tia.
Besides linking to other accounts. open a chequing account and get the cheque book, it is free of charge, then write yourself a cheque to transfer out
May 1, 2015
523 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thanks guess ill be transferring money out and bringing it back lol
If you did not switch to the $60 10GB plan when everyone else did you are not a true RFD'er 😝
Running successful Spotify group buy since June 2018
Running successful Netflix group buy since Dec 2017
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1197 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto :)
thanks, just opened mine, gonna transfer everything over from tangerine since my tangerine savings offer is expiring end of april :)
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
May 2, 2017
185 posts
298 upvotes
phht wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:31 pm
Besides linking to other accounts. open a chequing account and get the cheque book, it is free of charge, then write yourself a cheque to transfer out
Chequing accounts typically have monthly fees...
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1487 posts
1051 upvotes
uglyguy wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:07 pm
Just curious if there are any other 3%+ out there currently besides HSBC? i need to rotate out of current RBC high interest account.

TIA
DUCA offers 3% until January 31 2020, https://earnmore.duca.com/

Not sure if you can sign-up outside of Ontario,..
Apr 23, 2008
799 posts
85 upvotes
Seanne wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:04 pm
Chequing accounts typically have monthly fees...
You are correct. forget I met its min balance.
and thanks. it reminds me to close chequing account when my balance goes below the threshold
Dec 25, 2017
675 posts
508 upvotes
You apparently need at least 50k for the 3% right? Above 25k is 2.90% which isn't bad, but the 2.40% for anything under is quite bad..... Basically making a minimum deposit amount required but this account will offer three transactions and unlimited transfers to other accounts under same name.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10714 posts
953 upvotes
fuzzydealhunter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:45 pm
thanks guess ill be transferring money out and bringing it back lol
If you already have money in your HSBC account at the start of the promo, that won't work.
May 1, 2015
523 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slowtyper wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:30 pm
If you already have money in your HSBC account at the start of the promo, that won't work.
dont see why not. how will they ever tell if its the same money or different?
If you did not switch to the $60 10GB plan when everyone else did you are not a true RFD'er 😝
Running successful Spotify group buy since June 2018
Running successful Netflix group buy since Dec 2017
Mar 5, 2005
359 posts
31 upvotes
For those that have gone through the process, can a joint account be opened online?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2241 posts
965 upvotes
Montreal
fuzzydealhunter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:10 pm
dont see why not. how will they ever tell if its the same money or different?
They took a "picture" of your HRSA and overall HSBC balance on April 12th. Only amount above both those balances qualify for the bonus interest.

Thread title should read up to 3%.
Jan 18, 2009
308 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
headleygrange wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:28 pm
Guys, its seems more complicated than that. Based on terms , only new balances are eligible. If you already have a checking account, you cannot move that money into HRS account.

Bonus Interest will only be calculated on New Deposits of up to CAD 1,000,000 in your HRSA. This means
both your HRSA Balance and your Total Deposits balance must increase. Bonus Interest will be applied to
the amount by which your HRSA Balance or Total Deposits increased, whichever is lower.
For example:
 If you deposited $3,000 to your HRSA but you withdrew $3,000 from your Chequing account, your Total
Deposits have not increased. Bonus Interest will not apply.
 If you deposited $3,000 to your HRSA and you withdrew $1,000 from your Chequing account, your Total
Deposits increased by $2,000 ($3,000 - $1,000). Bonus Interest applies to $2,000.
I totally agreed with you. Bonus interest is only based on new deposit, that is counted as April 12 closing day, the lower amount of the increase in total deposits, and it counts all your accounts under the same customer account number with HSBC. That including your chequing, savings, and GIC accounts. Once you put in new deposits, you have to keep it there or your bonus will diminish. If you already have another bank providing a not too bad rate, your benefit is minimal.
Aug 31, 2014
20 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chinook79 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:40 pm
All subjective. I just closed all my Tangerine account as I got fed up with rep refusing to fix mom's locked account. My mom doesn't speak fluent English so I was just translating for her yet Tangerine rep refuses to help and kept saying I need to find their "cafe" to unlock her own account despite providing all security information. I got so fed up with lack of willingness to simply unlock her account and decided to close my account and her account altogether. When I tried to close my account, the rep fuc*s up again and closes all my account with money before paying off credit card bills, despite specifically instructed to pay bill first before closing account. He then asked for my permission to transfer money from my external account but yet again, doesn't transfer enough money despite me asking him to confirm amount twice.
For me, Tangerine is by far the worst bank ever as their employee can't even follow simple instructions, and refuses access to customers own account while keep saying that we need to go to their physical location to resolve the issue when there is next to no physical branch in the first place
Tangerine is overly bureaucratic. Not sure if this was always the case or only after Scotia Bank took it over. But just from the account opening process surprising people at the end by asking them to visit a Canada Post office with Id just to open a savings account, I knew this bank would give me endless bullshit and drama. So I never bothered officially opening the account by visiting a Canada Post.
Aug 31, 2014
20 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
uglyguy wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:07 pm
Just curious if there are any other 3%+ out there currently besides HSBC? i need to rotate out of current RBC high interest account.

TIA
Duca currently if you only want a 3% savings account and no GICs.