Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
HSBC

Get 35% more avios when you convert your points to Avios

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 4:13 pm
Nov 7, 2018
152 posts
148 upvotes
YZD

[HSBC] Get 35% more avios when you convert your points to Avios

Expiry:
November 30, 2018
Retailer:
HSBC
More offers from HSBC
Currently a 35% bonus on points transferred to British Airways Avios until November 30th. This means that 25,000 points now equals 13,500 avios up from the usual 10,000.

Minimum of 25,000 points required to transfer.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1802 posts
1030 upvotes
Vancouver
25k of hsbc points is worth $250 and you can use it on any travel.

I don't remember avios points being worth that much and has far less flexibility.
Nov 7, 2018
152 posts
148 upvotes
YZD
Correct me I'm wrong, but from what I know, one HSBC point is worth 0.5 cents making 25k points worth $125. Between $125 of travel and 13,500 Avios, I would choose the Avios without a doubt.

Can someone confirm that one HSBC point is worth 0.5 cents?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1802 posts
1030 upvotes
Vancouver
shayaanpoints wrote: Correct me I'm wrong, but from what I know, one HSBC point is worth 0.5 cents making 25k points worth $125. Between $125 of travel and 13,500 Avios, I would choose the Avios without a doubt.

Can someone confirm that one HSBC point is worth 0.5 cents?
Oh yeah, you're right. I kept thinking it was worth 1 cent. Carry on.

Anyone have ideas on how to use Avios in either from Toronto or Vancouver?
Only good redemption I know is the Toronto to New York flights...
Mar 2, 2016
862 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
shamans wrote: Oh yeah, you're right. I kept thinking it was worth 1 cent. Carry on.

Any OW, but watch out from the taxes and fees. I think that domestic US and trans border on AA is YQ free.
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Nov 7, 2018
152 posts
148 upvotes
YZD
shamans wrote:
If you examine the distance based award chart from BA, not only are YYZ-JFK and YYZ-ORD 15,000 Avios RT but so is YVR-LAX. In 20,000 Avios RT, trips from YYZ-DAL, YYZ-MIA, YVR-DAL, and YVR-PHX can all be done with American.

With Aer Lingus, YUL-DUB can be done in a reasonable 20,000 Avios RT off-peak and 25,000 Avios RT during peak times. This is because this route just clocks in to the 2001-3000 zone.

If you can get to Seattle from Vancouver, Hawaii can be done in 25,000 Avios RT with Alaska Airlines, a partner of British Airways.

BTW, YQ (carrier surcharges) should be slim to none on routes mentioned above.

Hopefully this gives you some insight into the usage of Avios!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
I just transfered 35k I had. They were worth $200 max but with British Airways they are worth more. As I understand I would get 14,000avios+35%? 18900 total. If so, that's a great deal
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1084 posts
239 upvotes
How do you transfer the HSBC points to Avios?
Nov 7, 2018
152 posts
148 upvotes
YZD
kendorama wrote: How do you transfer the HSBC points to Avios?
In order to transfer points here are the steps:

1) Go to your the rewards platform: https://rewards.hsbc.ca/en-CA

2) If you not signed in, Click the login button the top right

3) Once you are logged in, click redeem now --> rewards for miles --> choose the program you want to convert your points into --> enter your info and you are all set

It should take 1-2 days to show in your Avios account.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1084 posts
239 upvotes
shayaanpoints wrote: In order to transfer points here are the steps:

1) Go to your the rewards platform: https://rewards.hsbc.ca/en-CA

2) If you not signed in, Click the login button the top right

3) Once you are logged in, click redeem now --> rewards for miles --> choose the program you want to convert your points into --> enter your info and you are all set

It should take 1-2 days to show in your Avios account.
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2200 upvotes
Jeez this is a pretty sweet deal actually... I had originally transfered ~25k of my RBC Rewards to Avios when they had the 30% bonus a few months back ... transferring 35k HSBC Rewards = 14000 * 1.35 = 18900 Avios. Total 51k Avios.

Not too shabby...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1802 posts
1030 upvotes
Vancouver
What about search engines for avios rewards?

I think I can at least convert some just to let my avios not expire...

Aeroplan or United Mileage Plus for me is a much easier redemption usually.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1641 posts
1140 upvotes
Don't do it. Avios is **** annoying to book flights with. Only BS flights with multiple legs available in BS times of the year.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
CDRoot wrote: Don't do it. Avios is **** annoying to book flights with. Only BS flights with multiple legs available in BS times of the year.
all loyalty programs are like this. Value can be had if you are flexible in dates and locations. I'm going to Florida for Xmas (booked in march), Jamaica next spring break, last summer went to Sri Lanka and previously and japan two xmas ago and last Spring break --- all on avios. If you search where you want go to every couple days and are willing to "risk" purchasing a one way without knowing how you'll get there or back, you can get some great value. Not for everyone, but it works for me!

keeping the bulk of points in AMEX and taking advantage of these transfer bonuses depending where you want to go and which program has availability is when you can really leverage huge value from the points.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
i was dreading using the hsbc points for travel and trying to figure out what to do with the leftover points with the rediculous redeption tiers they have --- lookts like this is a great way to get the bulk of them somewhere useful. thanks OP!

It kind of worries me how many points Avios has incoming with transfer bonuses going on simultaenously from Amex, RBC and now HSBC... I hope another point devaluation isn't coming
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
well speak of the devil, they do have the ridiculous increments on transfers as well. ugh.
Capture.PNG
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1802 posts
1030 upvotes
Vancouver
emmpeethree wrote: all loyalty programs are like this. Value can be had if you are flexible in dates and locations. I'm going to Florida for Xmas (booked in march), Jamaica next spring break, last summer went to Sri Lanka and previously and japan two xmas ago and last Spring break --- all on avios. If you search where you want go to every couple days and are willing to "risk" purchasing a one way without knowing how you'll get there or back, you can get some great value. Not for everyone, but it works for me!

keeping the bulk of points in AMEX and taking advantage of these transfer bonuses depending where you want to go and which program has availability is when you can really leverage huge value from the points.
Yeah, I would say keep it in HSBC points or AMEX points unless you have a plan for using it. Don't just convert because it's of slightly better point value worth. Flexibility is far more important. And if there happens to be any cash offers then you can use your HSBC or AMEX points to pay for that instead.