HSBC
More offers from HSBC
Apply by March 31, 2019 and earn up to
30,000 Points ($150 value in travel rewards) as follows:
20,000 Welcome Bonus
10,000 Points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of account opening

QC:
20,000 Welcome Bonus
30,000 Points when you keep your account open and in good standing for 90 days from account open date

First year annual fee waived (except for QC)
Valid for both World Elite (https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/bankin ... mastercard) and Premier World Elite (https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/bankin ... ards/pwemc#)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1138 posts
3833 upvotes
I'd recommend against this offer unless in QC:

• Total value is maximum $150 (as statement credit toward travel expense)
  • From last offer, there are several reports of users needing to call into HSBC about the 10,000 bonus points, even 1-2 statements after meeting the minimum spend
  • They insist on only shipping the card to a branch, some reps may allow re-shipment to your home if you call in

Too much hassle.
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
90 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was actually planning to sign up for this myself...is there a better 0% forex fee card?
wouldn't FYF make the value $300 value?
Leverage wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:15 pm

• From last offer, there are several reports of users needing to call into HSBC about the 10,000 bonus points, even 1-2 statements after meeting the minimum spend
  • They insist on only shipping the card to a branch, some reps may allow re-shipment to your home if you call in

Too much hassle.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1138 posts
3833 upvotes
02wrx wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:21 pm
I was actually planning to sign up for this myself...is there a better 0% forex fee card?
Best 0% forex fee card right is the STACK Prepaid MasterCard, which you load with money and they charge 0% with no annual fee. STACK also gives $20 free if you sign up via a referral, so ask your friends if any have it.

I don't personally count an annual fee as value as it doesn't pay me out anything - I consider it to be anything I pocket as a result of taking the credit hit.
Sep 21, 2008
370 posts
262 upvotes
If you're looking specifically for a card just to avoid forex fees, I would argue the Preferred Visa by hometrust:

- no annual fee
-1% cashback on purchases
-Free roadside assistance (on a no fee credit card!!)
-no forex fees

https://www.hometrust.ca/credit-cards/p ... visa-card/

02wrx wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:21 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1735 posts
1357 upvotes
I would suggest Rogers World Elite MasterCard as the best no-annual-fee card for transactions in foreign currencies.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers- ... 9-2179733/

It gives you back:
2% on any Rogers/Fido products or services charged to the card;
1.75% on any other CDN charges;
4% on charges in foreign currencies (but it has a 2.50% forex fee, therefore Net 1.50% for transactions in foreign currencies).

Until recently, the cash back could only be used as a credit against any Rogers/Fido products or services; but, starting this month, cash back can be applied against any line-charge on the monthly statement.
Last edited by ahoroba on Feb 12th, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2187 posts
515 upvotes
Ontario
Leverage wrote:

This also happened to me. Met min. spend in October and still don't have points. Got the runaround on the phone between different departments. Will cancel before year is up. This card is attractive on paper but in reality CS sucks!
Too much hassle.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery 4% CTC 5 c/L CTC/Husky free roadside 1% on bill pay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Apr 1, 2003
87 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
All these card states no forex fees on purchases. Does anybody know if it also work for cash advances?

I used to deposit money into Marriott and Amazon visas and withdraw them when I am overseas for just 1% fee. I really want another card that can do that again.
Apr 13, 2017
247 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby
chrix30 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:57 pm
All these card states no forex fees on purchases. Does anybody know if it also work for cash advances?

I used to deposit money into Marriott and Amazon visas and withdraw them when I am overseas for just 1% fee. I really want another card that can do that again.
Could you expand on this? Is it the same as overpaying your credit card?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1735 posts
1357 upvotes
chrix30 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:57 pm

Stack prepaid mastercard does exactly that, without any fee (some foreign ATMs charge a $2-$3 fixed local fee, but carefully choosing a no-ding ATM will give you cash withdrawal abroad with absolutely no transaction fee with Stack).
Dec 17, 2009
117 posts
36 upvotes
vancouver
Have anyone check the exchange rate on those no foreign fee cards? Do they just give bad exchange rate?
Sep 4, 2018
21 posts
2 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
[*]From last offer, there are several reports of users needing to call into HSBC about the 10,000 bonus points, even 1-2 statements after meeting the minimum spend
[*]They insist on only shipping the card to a branch, some reps may allow re-shipment to your home if you call in
[/list]
I have this card and never had those issues. Maybe I'm just lucky!
Aug 29, 2017
10 posts
I have CapitalOne Aspire Travel (grandfathered) getting 2% flat on everything. This certainly won’t beat that, but I’m motivated by $100 credit and the lounge membership. Do you think these two are enough for me to switch to this card? I travel max twice a year. On a separate note, my dad has Scotia Passport Infinite, giving him 6 passes per year. Can I use his lounge passes without him being with me?