• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 5:26 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2004
37195 posts
3715 upvotes
Markham
I was in the UK during July, and I was able to open an account at a branch. Screw IBC!
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Dec 12, 2010
587 posts
109 upvotes
I want to open a US HSBC bank account - what do I need (do I need a US address / utility bill or whatever)?
Can I open it in Canada or does it have to be in branch in the States?
Mar 13, 2012
632 posts
274 upvotes
Near You
Must you call, or can you walk into branch? I'm in the states often and rather not play tag over the phone.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel)| Scotiabank Passport (0% Foreign Exchange)
💰 Tangerine (Free Daily Banking) | HSBC Premier | EQ Bank
📞 Fido 10GB/60$ 📱 Fido 3GB/15$ 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4995 posts
645 upvotes
Ottawa
mistytalon wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 1:43 pm
Must you call, or can you walk into branch? I'm in the states often and rather not play tag over the phone.
you must call ...
Mar 23, 2004
37195 posts
3715 upvotes
Markham
mistytalon wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 1:43 pm
Have to call.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Jul 26, 2018
135 posts
127 upvotes
Canada, eh?
chaugh wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:07 am
I want to open a US HSBC bank account - what do I need (do I need a US address / utility bill or whatever)?
Can I open it in Canada or does it have to be in branch in the States?
Also depends if the US branch wants you as a customer.
Mar 23, 2004
37195 posts
3715 upvotes
Markham
HSBC Canada Android app just got updated, looks like we finally get to use fingerprint to login. Very nice, earlier than TD, Scotia and BMO!
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1082 posts
384 upvotes
toronto
Curious, as the international part would have value to me, so to open an account all I would need is to go to a branch with a $100,000 of investment to put in their direct brokerage, and provided I meet eligibility I should be able to get the associated credit card?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2171 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
foreigncontent wrote:
Aug 18th, 2018 8:48 am
Curious, as the international part would have value to me, so to open an account all I would need is to go to a branch with a $100,000 of investment to put in their direct brokerage, and provided I meet eligibility I should be able to get the associated credit card?
Yes. Make sure to take advantage of the welcome offer to pick up an extra $700 or so and get referred by a friend for another $200.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2575 posts
973 upvotes
Everywhere
This is a pretty long and old thread and i couldn't really find a summary easily.

What's the advantage and/or benefit of HSBC Premier? Can I get a free card that I would normally pay for? I assume everything else is free (other than equity trades, etc.).
May 7, 2017
424 posts
182 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Aug 18th, 2018 4:10 pm
This is a pretty long and old thread and i couldn't really find a summary easily.

What's the advantage and/or benefit of HSBC Premier? Can I get a free card that I would normally pay for? I assume everything else is free (other than equity trades, etc.).
Banking is free for most stuff. 5 chequing accounts included
Forex transfers can be instant if you got hsbc accounts in other countries
Forex transfer to banks other than hsbc can have reduced fees
No fx fee on debit card or WE credit card
If you move around a lot, HSBC can transfer your credit histories abroad
They also can help with international mortgages - for example buying a house in UK while you live in canada
And an RM that helps you manage things if needed - mine has been great. Others have had complaints.

Biggest benefit I find with hsbc is that they’re brick and mortar but pretty much everything I need to do including wire transfers can be done online. Last time I visited the bank was last September to open invest direct account.

Invest direct isn’t that good for self service clients. If you just buy and hold stuff - it could work for you. Over the phone they are pretty good however.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2575 posts
973 upvotes
Everywhere
bend3r wrote:
Aug 18th, 2018 5:32 pm
Banking is free for most stuff. 5 chequing accounts included
Forex transfers can be instant if you got hsbc accounts in other countries
Forex transfer to banks other than hsbc can have reduced fees
No fx fee on debit card or WE credit card
If you move around a lot, HSBC can transfer your credit histories abroad
They also can help with international mortgages - for example buying a house in UK while you live in canada
And an RM that helps you manage things if needed - mine has been great. Others have had complaints.

Biggest benefit I find with hsbc is that they’re brick and mortar but pretty much everything I need to do including wire transfers can be done online. Last time I visited the bank was last September to open invest direct account.

Invest direct isn’t that good for self service clients. If you just buy and hold stuff - it could work for you. Over the phone they are pretty good however.
Interesting, thanks. I qualify and hold bank accounts in a a few countries and it works for me now but I'm just wondering if it is worth moving assets around. Maybe I will make a appointment to speak with someone.
Nov 15, 2007
26 posts
3 upvotes
I am a fairly active trader on the InvestDirect site (among other trading platforms). I don't like the interface, but $6.88/trade is pretty competitive with other banks, so I can live with it on balance.

Free banking is excellent with ATM fee rebates when you withdraw from non-HSBC/credit union ATMs. I love the ability to move money instantly for free between countries; very handy for US and Asian transfers. I've had good RMs (when I've needed them) who have bent over backwards to make sure I'm happy. Overall, I think it was worth the switch and transfer of assets.
May 7, 2017
424 posts
182 upvotes
I got a pre-approval for a Prime + 1.9% LOC.

1. Do you guys recommend taking it?
2. Also wanted to ask if even after pre-approval, does HSBC do a hard pull on credit report?