None
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
202 posts
101 upvotes

HSBC Premier World/World Elite MasterCard

Got a letter in today's mail outlining changes/enhancements to the card:

- 10% discount on select hotel bookings from Expedia and Agoda
- Free enrolment to the LoungeKey airport lounge program with visits costing US $27 for each guest.
- Free uber rides (I believe it's when you're traveling and for CAD $25- don't have the letter with me)
- Free global wi-fi through Boingo.

Interest rate for this card is increasing to 17.9%.

Pretty decent changes for the card, most of them "improvements", otherwise there are better programs out there.
Thread Summary
http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/premierworldelite

Comparison to other World Elite MasterCards:
HSBC Premier WE: 3% for travel purchases, 1.5% for everything else (including foreign exchange) - annual fee $99 with $100 in Travel Enchancement Credit (redeemable towards select airline seat upgrades, airline baggage fees and airport lounge passes)
BMO WE: 2.14% for travel purchases, 1.43% for everything else
Rogers WE: 1.75% for everything, 1.5% for foreign exchange
720 replies
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
Here2day2 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 3:06 pm
- Free uber rides (I believe it's when you're traveling and for CAD $25- don't have the letter with me)
- Free global wi-fi through Boingo.
Is this for both CB and Travel programs or just Travel?
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
202 posts
101 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 4:08 pm
Is this for both CB and Travel programs or just Travel?
I have the Travel one.
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
Just got the letter too, looks like you only get the Uber code if you purchase airfare for $600 or more.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
Here's the letter:

「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18938 posts
1372 upvotes
Came here to post about these changes as well. Overall I think they are very exciting.

This really takes this card (which we have to remember is a NO FEE CARD!) to a whole other level, and is definitely a big perk for premier users. The Boingo perk is going to be used a lot by myself, and the LoungeKey makes me question if I should continue to renew my Amex Platinum next year (I likely will not).
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Apr 23, 2017
701 posts
1081 upvotes
To me it seems an improvement. This card had a really low interest rate (12.9%) as a main benefit. Perhaps because since to get it one has to have money with HSBC the Premier cardholders are less risk. However since I don't revolve card balances the appeal was not there. Sure, 12.9% is better than 19.99%, but if I ever needed to revolve I could use a line of credit at 5.9%. So it seems HSBC decided to raise the interest rate 5% to fund some useful perks for the non-revolvers. That is fine. They seem nice perks, though the Amex Platinum get one the Pearson security line bypass (which I use a lot) and the unlimited use of the Plaza Premium lounges for no fee, whereas my read on the HSBC perk is that one gets unlimited lounge access at a cost of US$27 per visit with no free visits. The free Boingo HSBC offering is useful. As it is a no fee card only available to certain HSBC customers, no harm in getting it/keeping it if one banks at HSBC and qualifies as it nows has some benefits, and is free.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18938 posts
1372 upvotes
HermanH wrote:
May 25th, 2017 10:04 pm
To me it seems an improvement. This card had a really low interest rate (12.9%) as a main benefit. Perhaps because since to get it one has to have money with HSBC the Premier cardholders are less risk. However since I don't revolve card balances the appeal was not there. Sure, 12.9% is better than 19.99%, but if I ever needed to revolve I could use a line of credit at 5.9%. So it seems HSBC decided to raise the interest rate 5% to fund some useful perks for the non-revolvers. That is fine. They seem nice perks, though the Amex Platinum get one the Pearson security line bypass (which I use a lot) and the unlimited use of the Plaza Premium lounges for no fee, whereas my read on the HSBC perk is that one gets unlimited lounge access at a cost of US$27 per visit with no free visits. The free Boingo HSBC offering is useful. As it is a no fee card only available to certain HSBC customers, no harm in getting it/keeping it if one banks at HSBC and qualifies as it nows has some benefits, and is free.
Its a HUGE improvement.

It's hard to compare this to a card with a $500+ annual fee like the Platinum Amex. This card is no fee. You can buy a lot of lounge visits (13!) for $500.

Re the security line, get a Nexus card... $50 and lasts 5 years, gets you through security fastest, customs fastest, TSA precheck... best $50 you will ever spend if you travel. I have made flight connections that my coworkers missed simply because I had a Nexus card and could bypass the customs line.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
So now we can start using the free lounges and wifi!!!
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
202 posts
101 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 12:42 pm
So now we can start using the free lounges and wifi!!!
The lounges aren't free. It's USD $27 per person per visit.
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
Here2day2 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 2:24 pm
The lounges aren't free. It's USD $27 per person per visit.
oh that sucks, guess i wont be cancelling my BMO WE just yet. So the only advantage is the free wifi =\
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
202 posts
101 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 3:04 pm
oh that sucks, guess i wont be cancelling my BMO WE just yet. So the only advantage is the free wifi =\
It looks like the Premier World MC is no longer being offered to new applicants. I wonder if they'll be coming out with a WE edition.
Mar 23, 2004
37422 posts
3873 upvotes
Markham
Here2day2 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:20 am
It looks like the Premier World MC is no longer being offered to new applicants. I wonder if they'll be coming out with a WE edition.
O RLY? :lol: You are right indeed! http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... cards/pwmc Maybe they are going the PC route, remove World, put in WE. But now PC is bringing back the World version...lol

I actually quite like the new designs, well i like the lion i guess http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... comparison :lol: (and omg the dreaded new MC logo, ugh)
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
202 posts
101 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:25 am
O RLY? :lol: You are right indeed! http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... cards/pwmc Maybe they are going the PC route, remove World, put in WE. But now PC is bringing back the World version...lol

I actually quite like the new designs, well i like the lion i guess http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... comparison :lol: (and omg the dreaded new MC logo, ugh)
Didn't even realize the Lion. I thought it was just a weird flower design.