Personal Finance

HSBC promo (upto $600 for new clients, requires mimimum $5,000 balance, direct deposit, credit card application/rewards)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 5:20 pm
Jul 25, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Just a reminder to anyone on the fence, this promotion ends tomorrow.

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/canadi ... me-advance

If you were unable to get an appointment and still really want to get this promotion, my advice would be to go into the branch and explain that you weren't able to get an appointment in time, because the branch was full.
Maybe they'll be able to do something for you? No guarantees, but for the amount of money this offer is worth, I'd say it's probably worth your effort to make a trip to the nearest branch.
Good luck everyone!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1122 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Alright folks, I just re-confirmed with HSBC that if you open account and apply for a credit card, there would be two separate credit checks (if it matter to you)

For me, I'll pass for two hard credit checks same day.

Some people don't care, so just go ahead with the CC application.
Aug 6, 2012
310 posts
410 upvotes
AURORA
spy cl wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:19 pm
Alright folks, I just re-confirmed with HSBC that if you open account and apply for a credit card, there would be two separate credit checks (if it matter to you)

For me, I'll pass for two hard credit checks same day.

Some people don't care, so just go ahead with the CC application.
DPs and personal experience suggest otherwise. They do one hard hit and then a soft check for the credit card.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1122 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
azhang24 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 8:54 pm
DPs and personal experience suggest otherwise. They do one hard hit and then a soft check for the credit card.
oh? what is DPs? I didn't see anyone confirm it's one hard credit check then soft inquiry for credit card application. source??
AFAIK HSBC don't do soft credit check though.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1122 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
ekyl123829210554 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 11:20 pm
I also received mixed information from HSBC. The advisor at the branch performed one hard credit check when I opened my chequings account, and said it would be valid for 30 days if I wanted to apply for any other products within that time. Two days later, I checked with HSBC call centre but they said there would be another hard credit check if I apply for the HSBC credit card online. I went ahead and applied anyways, but after reviewing both my Equifax and Transunion credit reports I can confirm that the branch advisor was correct - there was only one hard credit check performed. Maybe it depends on the credit analyst who reviews your application, if they see a recent credit report on file then they will use that instead of pulling another one.
So you applied credit card over the phone? I am thinking if it make any difference if I applied over their website. Not sure if it’s gonna make any difference for the credit check part.
Sep 25, 2018
2 posts
4 upvotes
spy cl wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:16 am
So you applied credit card over the phone? I am thinking if it make any difference if I applied over their website. Not sure if it’s gonna make any difference for the credit check part.
I applied on website, using the "already an HSBC client" link
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1122 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
ekyl123829210554 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:34 am
I applied on website, using the "already an HSBC client" link
Thanks, if you don’t see that there is a separate credit check on your credit file, I am going to try the same then.

Btw which app you use to monitor your credit history?
Apr 13, 2017
246 posts
42 upvotes
Total income of 6500 per month for premier eligibility- can this be the joint income ? Or individual?
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
155 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Don't see promo end day being updated on HSBCs website like it did last time as we were approaching the deadline.

Looks like the promo is over for this go-around.
Sep 10, 2015
231 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton, AB T6X 1B7
headleygrange wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 6:43 am
Total income of 6500 per month for premier eligibility- can this be the joint income ? Or individual?
Are you talking about the Premier World Elite credit card? My info states minimum personal income of $ 80k or household income of $ 150k or minimum assets held with HSBC of $400k.
Apr 13, 2017
246 posts
42 upvotes
LizzieEdm wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:13 am
Are you talking about the Premier World Elite credit card? My info states minimum personal income of $ 80k or household income of $ 150k or minimum assets held with HSBC of $400k.
Sorry. Wrong thread. They introduced new way to get hsbc premier. Deposit 6500 monthly payroll and have minimum 100k in investment in Canada.
Apr 13, 2017
246 posts
42 upvotes
Anyone got payroll bonus for EI ? My spouses EI shows as Interbank transfer. Not sure if it will qualify for payroll bonus.
Oct 5, 2014
83 posts
176 upvotes
Ontario
Any difference between the 2.3% 120 day GIC and the 2.3% 120 day TFSA Term Deposit other then the one being tax free?
May 19, 2015
643 posts
221 upvotes
Got payroll but still waiting on a referral bonus >.>
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jul 25, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
SignedA wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 6:52 pm
Got payroll but still waiting on a referral bonus >.>
Nice. I contacted support today about the lack of payroll bonus (cause I was pretty sure that being told to wait a 4th month was bullshit), sure enough I got a different answer. I was given an apology and told it was being sent to the backend to investigate. If I don't receive it within 3-5 days, I'm to contact support again. I inquired about Step bonuses as well. I was told to wait 3 months. I explained "the same 3 months that my payroll deposit bonus was supposed to arrive within, but didn't?". A few hours later, the step bonuses I was waiting for arrived. Still waiting for that elusive payroll bonus.......