Personal Finance

HSBC promo (upto $600 for new clients, requires mimimum $5,000 balance, direct deposit, credit card application/rewards)

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2019 7:18 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1372 posts
769 upvotes
SignedA wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 7:21 pm
I must say HSBC is THE shittiest, unorganized, rude and incompetent bank I have ever had to deal with. This is considering I’ve dealt with scotiabank and BMO before. Been on and off hold for over 1.5 hrs and no one can figure out why bonuses aren’t applying properly. The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing because branches don’t communicate with a central system and branches are incompetent.

I can’t wait until I can close this account.

Sign on for the bonus if it temps you but don’t count on getting all of it.
Guess you haven't tried your luck with national bank
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3148 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto
It's been over 3 months since I signed up the HSBC Advance account, and still no $300 bonus. Anyone?
Jul 25, 2018
500 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Elfwood wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 10:05 am
It's been over 3 months since I signed up the HSBC Advance account, and still no $300 bonus. Anyone?
Contact customer service. Did you maintain your $5000.00 TRB?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3148 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto
projector wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 10:43 am
Contact customer service. Did you maintain your $5000.00 TRB?
yes $5K. I will call.
Jul 25, 2018
500 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
projector wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:05 pm
Nice. I contacted support today about the lack of payroll bonus (cause I was pretty sure that being told to wait a 4th month was bullshit), sure enough I got a different answer. I was given an apology and told it was being sent to the backend to investigate. If I don't receive it within 3-5 days, I'm to contact support again. I inquired about Step bonuses as well. I was told to wait 3 months. I explained "the same 3 months that my payroll deposit bonus was supposed to arrive within, but didn't?". A few hours later, the step bonuses I was waiting for arrived. Still waiting for that elusive payroll bonus.......
So an update on my payroll bonus that hasn't been paid out again. Keep in mind I have now contacted customer service about this 5 times. Dating back to September and the first time I had pay deposited. I was told I had qualified for the promo and just had to wait the 3 months.

Cut to today when I waited the 3-5 days from the last time I spoke with them when my request was sent to the backend and still no bonus.
I contacted support and mentioned it hadn't be received. I was then told that I had to wait until 3 months of pay had been deposited before I would received the bonus. To which I replied "No, that is not correct....."
I was then told to wait a moment while they checked for a response from the backend. Sure enough there was an update and the backend suggested I visit my branch because they told me I didn't have a payroll setup (I do, I've had pay from 2 diff employers deposited).
So now I need to go in person to visit the branch. And waste even more of my time.
I even asked if there was T&C for this promo to which I was told to go into the branch again. This bank is ****. Nobody knows what's going on.

And to close, not once have I had the "Email Transcript" from the live chat actually show up in my email. Goddamn....
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1019 posts
417 upvotes
projector wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 12:14 pm
So an update on my payroll bonus that hasn't been paid out again. Keep in mind I have now contacted customer service about this 5 times. Dating back to September and the first time I had pay deposited. I was told I had qualified for the promo and just had to wait the 3 months.

Cut to today when I waited the 3-5 days from the last time I spoke with them when my request was sent to the backend and still no bonus.
I contacted support and mentioned it hadn't be received. I was then told that I had to wait until 3 months of pay had been deposited before I would received the bonus. To which I replied "No, that is not correct....."
I was then told to wait a moment while they checked for a response from the backend. Sure enough there was an update and the backend suggested I visit my branch because they told me I didn't have a payroll setup (I do, I've had pay from 2 diff employers deposited).
So now I need to go in person to visit the branch. And waste even more of my time.
I even asked if there was T&C for this promo to which I was told to go into the branch again. This bank is ****. Nobody knows what's going on.

And to close, not once have I had the "Email Transcript" from the live chat actually show up in my email. Goddamn....
Sounds about right. We’ll see if they mix my issud. I’ve threatened to email their president with the last “ manager” I spoke to on the phone. Got her name (except they sound like fake names?? Wth? Unless the Philippines have adopted the US celebrities habit of naming their kids weird things like Apple not the person real name btw). Anyways I’ve threatened to include their name in the letter if I don’t get a call back because they never call me back. Unamused Face
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jul 25, 2018
500 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
SignedA wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 2:12 pm
Sounds about right. We’ll see if they mix my issud. I’ve threatened to email their president with the last “ manager” I spoke to on the phone. Got her name (except they sound like fake names?? Wth? Unless the Philippines have adopted the US celebrities habit of naming their kids weird things like Apple not the person real name btw). Anyways I’ve threatened to include their name in the letter if I don’t get a call back because they never call me back. Unamused Face
Received a call back from the branch. I guess because my Uber pay hit within 2 days of eachother it didn't look like recurring payroll. So good thing I got my other jobs pay moved to HSBC (mild inconvenience). But I was told that it can take up to 3 pays for the bonus to apply, in the meantime the branch personnel agreed to request an exception for me, but that they're backed up on the backend processing the exceptions (I guess their system is probably not so good, lots of mistakes) and it could take until after Xmas. So she's gonna follow up with me on the 27th.

Not ideal, but at least it's something. This branch rep was super nice too.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1019 posts
417 upvotes
projector wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 4:25 pm
Received a call back from the branch. I guess because my Uber pay hit within 2 days of eachother it didn't look like recurring payroll. So good thing I got my other jobs pay moved to HSBC (mild inconvenience). But I was told that it can take up to 3 pays for the bonus to apply, in the meantime the branch personnel agreed to request an exception for me, but that they're backed up on the backend processing the exceptions (I guess their system is probably not so good, lots of mistakes) and it could take until after Xmas. So she's gonna follow up with me on the 27th.

Not ideal, but at least it's something. This branch rep was super nice too.
I think it depends on the branch. I had someone at the branch tell me completely inaccurate information and kept trying to push mutual funds on me. I can’t wait until I get the last thing I’m missing so I never have to deal with them again except for when I close my account.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jul 25, 2018
500 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
SignedA wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:01 pm
I think it depends on the branch. I had someone at the branch tell me completely inaccurate information and kept trying to push mutual funds on me. I can’t wait until I get the last thing I’m missing so I never have to deal with them again except for when I close my account.
Oh I hear ya, this is the last thing I'm waiting on. Will be nice to get my term deposit back and be done with HSBC at the end of this.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4739 posts
3179 upvotes
Calgary
So, how long do you have to keep automatic deposits going into this account?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4739 posts
3179 upvotes
Calgary
RigorMortis wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:45 pm
So anyone stop their direct deposit after getting the $100 payroll bonus, care to report back if the $100 was clawed back etc?
I just read the terms. Nowhere does it state that the deposits have to continue for the duration of the account. I’m ending mine soon.
Apr 13, 2017
480 posts
133 upvotes
Almost a month since we opened our accounts. We have not received any of the bonus so far. My credit card has not reached either. They keep telling wait for one more week. Last rep I spoke with says they can cancel and send a new card, but rush delivery will cost 25$. Wtf. Why I should I pay for their mistakes?
Jul 25, 2018
500 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
G0DKING wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 8:53 pm
Anyone?
No clue what that even means. But I talked to a branch rep and it sounds like the system checks for the word pay in the deposit info. Don't know if that helps you or not.