Personal Finance

HSBC promo (upto $600 for new clients, requires mimimum $5,000 balance, direct deposit, credit card application/rewards)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2020 4:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9451 posts
11812 upvotes
Calgary
I guess I have to keep rolling over my 180 day GIC I opened when I opened my new account last month. 12 months kinda blows. Do we have to keep the direct deposit going for a certain amount of time?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1445 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
SammyDavis wrote: I guess I have to keep rolling over my 180 day GIC I opened when I opened my new account last month. 12 months kinda blows. Do we have to keep the direct deposit going for a certain amount of time?
I couldn't find in the terms and conditions if the payroll has to be recurring until the $100 bonus for direct deposit is paid out or the entire duration (3 + 12 months) that the account has to remain open for the general new client bank offer (for the $300 for opening advance account).
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1427 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
RigorMortis wrote: I couldn't find in the terms and conditions if the payroll has to be recurring until the $100 bonus for direct deposit is paid out or the entire duration (3 + 12 months) that the account has to remain open for the general new client bank offer (for the $300 for opening advance account).
I tried asking a CSR when they called me to check on how I was liking HSBC. He said he would email me back because he didn’t know but never emailed. Anyone care to ask hen they’re opening their account??
Fido Customer - $24/30 GB for 10 mths then $29/30GB
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2331 posts
826 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: We did it online (myself and my wife) as we just didn't have time to go to the branch, hence we lost out $200 referral which is fine. It was quick and painless though they did do a hard credit check on each of us. We already received the client cards and we have 30 days to deposit the minimum requirement. So we wrote 2 cheques with $5K each and deposited the funds. They were on hold for 4 business days (with only $100 available right away). They are now both cleared so we can move them to GIC and wait for the bonuses in October
After you fill out the online account opening form, is the account opened instantly? Do you get online access to the account right away? Did you receive the client cards in the mail or did you still have to visit the branch to finalize the account opening? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
kulb wrote: After you fill out the online account opening form, is the account opened instantly? Do you get online access to the account right away? Did you receive the client cards in the mail or did you still have to visit the branch to finalize the account opening? Thanks.
It was instant, for both of us. We got the client cards like a week later. So far we haven't stepped foot in the branch yet
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1149 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
My HSBC Cashback credit card says I have $50.05 cash back on the card and I only made one $5 purchase. Seems like an odd number. I mean it's not the $100 we are supposed to get. Do we get an additional $50 credit that's not associated with opening the account? anyone know anything about this?
Nov 25, 2003
716 posts
449 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
Ychanceit wrote: My HSBC Cashback credit card says I have $50.05 cash back on the card and I only made one $5 purchase. Seems like an odd number. I mean it's not the $100 we are supposed to get. Do we get an additional $50 credit that's not associated with opening the account? anyone know anything about this?
I only got the HSBC Advance Mastercard (took just over three weeks to get....) which gave a "reward" of $50. Was this the one you got?
I've been away for a while....
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19732 posts
28608 upvotes
Vancouver
mkl38s wrote: It was instant, for both of us. We got the client cards like a week later. So far we haven't stepped foot in the branch yet
You might need to eventually, HSBC rep advised me over the phone to stop in to sign a signature card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: You might need to eventually, HSBC rep advised me over the phone to stop in to sign a signature card.
Ah, they never ask me. Couldn't they just mail it out and we sign and send it back? I did that with RBC Georgia for U.S. account, no need to flight down south to sign the card
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2013
1149 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
1st timer wrote: I only got the HSBC Advance Mastercard (took just over three weeks to get....) which gave a "reward" of $50. Was this the one you got?
I got the same one but I thought it was a $100 credit for applying for a credit card.
Nov 25, 2003
716 posts
449 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
Ychanceit wrote: I got the same one but I thought it was a $100 credit for applying for a credit card.
I'm just going by memory (I should've taken a picture from my cell of the Bank rep's screen of the various credit card offers...) but there was a higher level card (I forgot which one....) that gave the $100 statement reward credit.
I've been away for a while....
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
I am confused lol to get the $500 bonus must have premier with $100K right? or Advance 300$ bonus for 5k
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
nabeel wrote: Just noticed I got my $500, here's my timeline so far:

28/07/2018 - signed up
03/08/2018 - first payroll hit
08/08/2018 - ETFs transferred into InvestDirect to meet balance requirement
07/09/2018 - "HSBC WELCOME BONUS" $500
Did u signed up for Premier. Just called HSBC premier required 100K within 3 months after the 25K or there is SC
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1445 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
agit wrote: I am confused lol to get the $500 bonus must have premier with $100K right? or Advance 300$ bonus for 5k
If you are referring to the bonus $ just for opening a chequing account, you get $300 for the advanced and $500 for the premiere.

On an un-related note, updated OP to reflect Sept 30 as the last day to sign up for the promo (as of today). Since Sept 30 is a Sunday, most branches likely won't be open so for those hoping to open their accounts at a branch, Sept 29 might be the last day.
Banned
Mar 13, 2017
332 posts
60 upvotes
How long does it take to receive the referral bonus? I opened my account a month ago and still nothing yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1445 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
cbt123 wrote: Seems like referral credit is the first thing to post. Opened account on August 17 and referral credit deposited on September 7 as "Step bonus".

Still no sign of anything else.
scoper wrote: Got my "Step Bonus" referral credit also, took almost exactly 1 month to receive.

Plus for anyone opening accounts now they have just launched a 2.8% savings promo for a couple of months.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/hsbc-3-5 ... s-2221743/
beatles89 wrote: How long does it take to receive the referral bonus? I opened my account a month ago and still nothing yet.
See quoted posted from earlier in the thread for approximate timelines
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2477 posts
1102 upvotes
1st timer wrote: I'm just going by memory (I should've taken a picture from my cell of the Bank rep's screen of the various credit card offers...) but there was a higher level card (I forgot which one....) that gave the $100 statement reward credit.
There was a pamphlet with the offers on my reps desk with the eligible cards for this offer, I know one that gave the extra $100 in rewards was the HSBC Premier World Elite, which means you would have opened up a premier account to get it. The standard world elite did not give any extra bonuses and was just the current promo offer of 30000 points ($150), this is the one I opened up since I was getting an advance account.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I contacted HSBC the other day to check the status of my Welcome Bonus ($300) and my Payroll Deposit Bonus ($100), to ensure that I met the requirements for both of them.
They told me I had met the requirements and the amounts would deposited into my account within 3 months from opening my account.
I opened my account on August 23rd. So I guess I've got a decent wait on my hands.

Anyone receive their Welcome or Payroll bonuses yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
projector wrote: I contacted HSBC the other day to check the status of my Welcome Bonus ($300) and my Payroll Deposit Bonus ($100), to ensure that I met the requirements for both of them.
They told me I had met the requirements and the amounts would deposited into my account within 3 months from opening my account.
I opened my account on August 23rd. So I guess I've got a decent wait on my hands.

Anyone receive their Welcome or Payroll bonuses yet?
Yes, and I posted about it in this thread.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)