Hot Deals

HSBC World Elite Mastercard (FYF, 20k sign up bonus + 10k when you spend 1k within 3 months)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 11:43 am
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
46 posts
20 upvotes

HSBC World Elite Mastercard (FYF, 20k sign up bonus + 10k when you spend 1k within 3 months)

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 4, 2018
Many RFD-ers have discussed the Premier version of this card when HSBC pushed them to upgrade from the HSBC Premier CC. The signup bonus is even better this time around:
- FYF
- 20,000 Welcome Bonus
- 10,000 Points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of account opening

The $100 annual travel enhancement credit is nice and this is one of the few CCs in Canada that offers no foreign transaction fee.
Last edited by marnitam on Jul 31st, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
47 replies
Feb 18, 2013
932 posts
2333 upvotes
Need way more detail in the title, OP. Thanks for updating.

This has been discussed on Reddit, as the offer's been out for a month already.

30,000 HBC Points is equivalent to a $150 statement credit - no transfer to Aeroplan or other major Canadian programs.
30,000 HSBC Rewards Points converts to: 12,000 Avios or 9,600 Asia miles or 10,800 Krisflyer.

$100 travel credit can be applied to flights, not just flight "enhancements", by calling in. No web portal, HSBC's online banking is from the stone ages.

If you're interested in redeeming on travel, net reward for this card is $250 for a $1000 spend. If not, $150 net reward + $100 travel credit.

Signing up requires 2 pieces of government ID and in-branch pick up. If you don't have a HSBC branch near you, nobody on Reddit has said they've been able to get it mailed. No first free in Quebec.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
46 posts
20 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 12:12 am

$100 travel credit can be applied to flights, not just flight "enhancements", by calling in. No web portal, HSBC's online banking is from the stone ages.

Signing up requires 2 pieces of government ID and in-branch pick up. If you don't have a HSBC branch near you, nobody on Reddit has said they've been able to get it mailed. No first free in Quebec.
Not sure about the in-branch pick up (don't remember if I picked up my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard at the branch or not) but you can definitely redeem the travel credit online (I have done it before). The conversion to avios/asia miles/krisflyer may take a bit longer though.
Dec 4, 2008
707 posts
308 upvotes
Leverage wrote:

30,000 HBC Points is equivalent to a $150 statement credit - no transfer to Aeroplan or other major Canadian programs.
30,000 HSBC Rewards Points converts to: 12,000 Avios or 9,600 Asia miles or 10,800 Krisflyer.

If you're interested in redeeming on travel, net reward for this card is $250 for a $1000 spend. If not, $150 net reward + $100 travel credit.

Sorry if I'm misninterpreting...when you say $150 statement credit (and $150 net reward), does that imply that statement credit towards both travel and miscellaneous categories (e.g. gas, groceries, dining, entertainment, etc.) 'redeem' at the same ratio? (which appears to be 2:1).

This doesn't seem too bad... I was going to potentially hold out converting my RBC Rewards to Avios as even with the bonus I didn't have enough to really redeem for any routes worthwhile (the 30% bonus transfer expires today, July 31)... but with an additional 12k (or 12k + 12k*0.3 = 15.6k), that would be total 32.5k (25k + 25k*0.3) + 15.6k = 48.1k Avios... definitely more than enough for NA long haul and I think for a Europe trip.

EDIT: hsbc-world-elite-mastercard-no-fx-30k-p ... c-2200940/ Seems like this was already posted, more info in that thread.
Jul 10, 2008
46 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
HSBC rewards site shows different math though

for 25,000 point you only get $75 statement credit for credit card statement credit . 25,000 points get your $100 mortgage credit . are you talking about travel redeem only ?

Leverage wrote:

Oct 29, 2006
69 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote:

is there a more comprehensive list of what the $100 travel enhancement credit could be applied to by calling in? this would make the card effectively no annual fee for premier members if there's a reasonable range of things it could be applied to.
Jul 20, 2016
751 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
jason.lqs wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 3:26 pm
HSBC rewards site shows different math though

for 25,000 point you only get $75 statement credit for credit card statement credit . 25,000 points get your $100 mortgage credit . are you talking about travel redeem only ?
25,000 points gets you $125 credit for Travel category
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
May 1, 2015
477 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
this deal has been discussed in the cc forum. not sure why we are moving it to hot deals
If you did not switch to the $60 10GB plan when everyone else did you are not a true RFD'er 😝
Running successful Spotify group buy since June 2018
Running successful Netflix group buy since Dec 2017
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5796 posts
371 upvotes
TO
fuzzydealhunter wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 8:18 pm
this deal has been discussed in the cc forum. not sure why we are moving it to hot deals
Because not everyone frequents the cc forum and this is a great deal like the Avion and others cards posted here.
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

Smash that UPVOTE button and you'll feel better! Guaranteed or your thumbs back. 😂
Jan 7, 2017
69 posts
25 upvotes
I got an ‘application forwarded to the branch’ message. Did anyone get an approval confirmation online?
Nov 28, 2007
214 posts
28 upvotes
So far my experience as a new HSBC customer has not been good. I got approved early this month, on around Aug. 9. I received my statement already asking for the $149 annual fee (I'm in Quebec), but I haven't even received the card yet! I had no choice but to choose a branch for the mailing, but nobody has given me any sign if it's actually there. I've wasted so much time on the phone with clueless agents who have offered little help. So I guess my next step is to stop in the branch to ask them to go through their mail... Not impressed at all HSBC.
Aug 14, 2012
120 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver
djyc wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 12:11 pm
So far my experience as a new HSBC customer has not been good. I got approved early this month, on around Aug. 9. I received my statement already asking for the $149 annual fee (I'm in Quebec), but I haven't even received the card yet! I had no choice but to choose a branch for the mailing, but nobody has given me any sign if it's actually there. I've wasted so much time on the phone with clueless agents who have offered little help. So I guess my next step is to stop in the branch to ask them to go through their mail... Not impressed at all HSBC.
I heard this from many sources too. I applied in branch last week while opening advance account. Approved while I was in the branch, card is being mailed within 10 business days.
Jun 13, 2017
41 posts
19 upvotes
604reefer wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 12:20 am
I heard this from many sources too. I applied in branch last week while opening advance account. Approved while I was in the branch, card is being mailed within 10 business days.
When did you receive your card? Like how many days after you got approved?
I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks and wanna see if I can get the card before I leave.
Aug 14, 2012
120 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver
sj1010 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 6:45 pm
When did you receive your card? Like how many days after you got approved?
I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks and wanna see if I can get the card before I leave.
Hmm, good question. I think I received it on the 6th or 7th? Can't remember the exact date. The pin came about 3-4 days before the card and I applied on Aug 24.

I put a transaction on the card on the 8th, 20k bonus posted on the 11th. I made a travel transaction to put me over $1k yesterday, hoping it codes as travel so that I'll know if the travel credit stacks with point redemption, but at least I'll see if the bonus 10k posts quickly.