Credit Cards

Locked: HSBC World Elite MC (no-FTF) - 30k pts FYF (60k pts no FYF in QC)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2021 9:35 am
Tags:
None
Dec 15, 2014
178 posts
106 upvotes
Brossard, QC
pentiumvi wrote: When i called to check on status of my application, was told I was my application was declined.

Then I get this email:

Now I'm not sure if it's incompetent IT or incompetent CSR
Likely a combination of both.

I’d call again to verify during regular hours. I think outside regular hours the calls are redirected to Asia and the reps there are not too familier with the business here.
Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
105 upvotes
Canada Eh?
pseudosammich wrote: Applied 6/16 online, got two separate phone calls on 7/9 confirming details. They haven't even ran credit check yet.

The process is quite archaic.

Was told to expect another phone call in 24-48 hours to go to a branch 'appointment' to show ID.

I use to be HSBC Premier, and the rep brought that up in the phone call. Have a feeling they'll try and sell you accounts/investments during the 'appointment'.
Update: This never happened, and no mail nothing. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
105 upvotes
Canada Eh?
pentiumvi wrote: When i called to check on status of my application, was told I was my application was declined.

Then I get this email:

Now I'm not sure if it's incompetent IT or incompetent CSR
The design of that email almost makes it look like a phishing scam. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
1212 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
boiledmilk wrote: Likely a combination of both.

I’d call again to verify during regular hours. I think outside regular hours the calls are redirected to Asia and the reps there are not too familier with the business here.
I've long tossed away my reference number for this application.

I'll just forget about this whole ordeal and be pleasantly surprised if something shows up in the mail, or I get another call.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Called and spent 30 minutes setting up online access (full version, not just basic), it requires PC + Phone authentication, wow
Rep gives you EBN and you get verification code

but I got my 1st 20K points, and remaining 10K hopefully arrives soon as I've went over $1000 spending
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
Some observations:

- Received 20K welcome bonus about 7 days after first transaction posted
- The website is ugly, hard to get used to not seeing pending transactions
- Presto DOES NOT count as travel charge (i.e cannot redeem bonus against it)
- Met minimum spend 2 days ago. 10K has not yet posted.
- Booked refundable Hotels.com reservation, TRAVEL charged showed up as soon as the payment posted. The only increment for redemption is 25K=$125? Cannot locate any allowed increments like Scotia Amex where $50 is a minimum.

Anyone figure out the way to get to use $100 TEC credit? I don't want to burn it and would rather get a statement credit.
Dec 15, 2014
178 posts
106 upvotes
Brossard, QC
The credit card still doesn’t show up in the HSBC CA app. Does show up In the old version of the app.
May 11, 2016
13 posts
70 upvotes
Saint-Romuald, QC
boiledmilk wrote: The credit card still doesn’t show up in the HSBC CA app. Does show up In the old version of the app.
Yeah, apparently they have a "bug" in their system.. the card doesn't show up in ecare either. A CSR told me they are working on a fix.. there's a maintenance planned for online banking this weekend.. maybe it's for that.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
1212 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
What a surprise. I actually got called to pick up my card today.

Now... how do I go about setting up online access? Do I call the number on the back of the card to get an EBN, or do I call HSBC banking support?

Also, tried registering on rewards.hsbc.ca, but apparently this card type is not supported?!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
pentiumvi wrote: What a surprise. I actually got called to pick up my card today.

Now... how do I go about setting up online access? Do I call the number on the back of the card to get an EBN, or do I call HSBC banking support?

Also, tried registering on rewards.hsbc.ca, but apparently this card type is not supported?!
I called the number on the back.

You can't register for the rewards website until you are registered for online banking.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
@superangrypenguin can you share what you use to get $100 TEC? Message me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
not a bad card to use for 1st year. first year free, boingo and 30 day insurance are quite nice. The lounge access is obviously scam. Never understood why someone would pay $27usd to use crap lounges( Most in N.A) are very crappy with horrible food - I rather pay that money for a nice dinner at a restaurant instead! Bonus points are nice too. $100 enhancement credit seems like nonsense unless there's a way to use it for something else than "selected" seat upgrade or lounges - at 27usd/per visit that only 2 visits!
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
dazz wrote: not a bad card to use for 1st year. first year free, boingo and 30 day insurance are quite nice. The lounge access is obviously scam. Never understood why someone would pay $27usd to use crap lounges( Most in N.A) are very crappy with horrible food - I rather pay that money for a nice dinner at a restaurant instead! Bonus points are nice too. $100 enhancement credit seems like nonsense unless there's a way to use it for something else than "selected" seat upgrade or lounges - at 27usd/per visit that only 2 visits!
You didn't mention three of the most important features: 2x points for travel, no f/x fees, and transfers to airline FFPs. For those that spend a lot on non-CAD travel expenses, there's no other card that comes close.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6265 upvotes
efrant wrote: You didn't mention three of the most important features: 2x points for travel, no f/x fees, and transfers to airline FFPs. For those that spend a lot on non-CAD travel expenses, there's no other card that comes close.
I have a hard time understanding why there will be a lot non-CAD travel expenses. Ppl usually prepaid travel (airfare, hotels) at home in CAD. Local tour in local currency, but it could be categorized as Entertainment instead of Travel.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
EdisonL299 wrote: I have a hard time understanding why there will be a lot non-CAD travel expenses. Ppl usually prepaid travel (airfare, hotels) at home in CAD. Local tour in local currency, but it could be categorized as Entertainment instead of Travel.
To give you my example, my (large) family and I book a Disney trip every year, purchased directly through WDW. They charge in USD, so that's how I have to pay them. We also take 2-3 other trips annually as a family, and I pay for the hotels and/or vacation rentals in USD. My non-CAD travel spend is quite large, and certainly makes up the vast majority of my total non-CAD spend. Dining would make up the next largest component of my non-CAD spend, but it would be a distant second, and groceries and everything else a distant third.

EDIT: In case some of you don't realize how pricey a Disney vacation is: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA ... tes-rooms/ and that is for just the room. Park tickets, food, alcohol is all on top of that, and can easily double the cost, or higher. But it all counts as "travel" expenses (not "dining" or "entertainment" expenses) from the point of view of the credit card.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2017
1359 posts
861 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: I have a hard time understanding why there will be a lot non-CAD travel expenses. Ppl usually prepaid travel (airfare, hotels) at home in CAD. Local tour in local currency, but it could be categorized as Entertainment instead of Travel.
You sometimes get cheaper tickets/hotel bookings just by using currency of airlines homecountry. https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... n-currency
Larger airlines swallow or reduce the fx fee but smaller ones don’t.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bend3r wrote: You sometimes get cheaper tickets/hotel bookings just by using currency of airlines homecountry. https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... n-currency
Larger airlines swallow or reduce the fx fee but smaller ones don’t.
Also:
1. Sometimes the airline/hotel sites add their own FX surcharge or their FX rates are a day or two old.
2. If you go through a travel agent then they sometimes tack on an FX fee. In my experience this is particularly true for vacation packages and such.
3. Travel providers (hotels, et al) have to pay commissions to online booking sites like booking.com. Usually it's cheaper to book direct with the hotel. They'll match or even beat the best price you can find on a booking site because they save that commission. But of course if you deal directly with the provider you need to pay with a 0% FX card because they'll charge you in their local currency.

That said sometimes travel agents can book flights at a discount through consolidators. In those situations the discount will usually beat the higher FX rate.

So... It's always a good idea to compare bottom line cost between the CA source and the home country source.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
1212 posts
772 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't seem to find the fine print, but is the yearly TEC roll over based on calendar year or when you applied?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2018
1488 posts
1269 upvotes
efrant wrote: You didn't mention three of the most important features: 2x points for travel, no f/x fees, and transfers to airline FFPs. For those that spend a lot on non-CAD travel expenses, there's no other card that comes close.
its 3% for travel right?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
terracotta92 wrote: its 3% for travel right?
Yes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)