Page 1 of 1

HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ S

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 9:07 pm
by desidealer49
Anyone planning to grab one of those.

They have a kiosk at STC demoing the phones, and I must say my iPhone 5 looks very crap against the 8X and Ativ S. I didn't like the Nokia, too heavy and look wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be at least in black.

The 8X felt amazing, and so did Ativ S. Funny how the Ativ feels 1000x more premium than the S3.

Re: HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ S

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:24 pm
by djemzine
desidealer49 wrote: Anyone planning to grab one of those.

They have a kiosk at STC demoing the phones, and I must say my iPhone 5 looks very crap against the 8X and Ativ S. I didn't like the Nokia, too heavy and look wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be at least in black.

The 8X felt amazing, and so did Ativ S. Funny how the Ativ feels 1000x more premium than the S3.
So what you're saying is that the Lumia 920 is nothing compared to these two in terms of appearance? How about performance wise?

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:35 pm
by desidealer49
djemzine wrote: So what you're saying is that the Lumia 920 is nothing compared to these two in terms of appearance? How about performance wise?
Performance was equal, at least for every thing I checked. And I played with each for half an hour lol.

Yeah it is funny, but the 8x looks nicer, especially since it is not black, both the Ativ and the 8x are much lighter than lumia, and the Aric's metallic finish is super nice. The lumia is great, but heavy as a brick, and I did not like how it looked in black. May be a colored one will look better.

Out of all three, I would pick the 8X. Pretty much sold on it. The Ativ comes very close too.

And yes I know about pureview, gloves touch screen blah blah, but I am still picking the Htc over the lumia.

The cameras on Ativ and Htc were also top notch from my testing. Pics were clear and matched my i5 from what my eyes can tell me lol.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 10:48 pm
by djemzine
desidealer49 wrote: Performance was equal, at least for every thing I checked. And I played with each for half an hour lol.

Yeah it is funny, but the 8x looks nicer, especially since it is not black, both the Ativ and the 8x are much lighter than lumia, and the Aric's metallic finish is super nice. The lumia is great, but heavy as a brick, and I did not like how it looked in black. May be a colored one will look better.

Out of all three, I would pick the 8X. Pretty much sold on it. The Ativ comes very close too.

And yes I know about pureview, gloves touch screen blah blah, but I am still picking the Htc over the lumia.

The cameras on Ativ and Htc were also top notch from my testing. Pics were clear and matched my i5 from what my eyes can tell me lol.
Hmm. HTC is known for making quality devices in the past and somewhat right now... lol.. except few that were a miss lol. No offense. They need to get their act together for sure if they want to catch up with Samsung.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 11:51 pm
by desidealer49
djemzine wrote: Hmm. HTC is known for making quality devices in the past and somewhat right now... lol.. except few that were a miss lol. No offense. They need to get their act together for sure if they want to catch up with Samsung.
Yeah they need to get better marketing and get some more sense tweaks. Apart from that I cannot see how even the one x is inferior to the s3. I would give them a tie if compared overall.

People just think Samsung = apple if you don't want an iPhone.

However, their ativ s windows phone shows they do have non plastic phones, except it is hard to find them running android :p

Posted: Nov 24th, 2012 1:05 am
by djemzine
desidealer49 wrote: Yeah they need to get better marketing and get some more sense tweaks. Apart from that I cannot see how even the one x is inferior to the s3. I would give them a tie if compared overall.

However, their ativ s windows phone shows they do have non plastic phones, except it is hard to find them running android :p
That and they need to make more pentaband phones.

Posted: Nov 24th, 2012 1:47 am
by desidealer49
djemzine wrote: That and they need to make more pentaband phones.
Agreed.

Do you use Wind/Mobi in Richmond Hill? Their reception is still mediocre in some spots in Scarborough from my test back in June.

Posted: Nov 24th, 2012 10:43 pm
by bigEfromGP
I LOVE the look of the Ativ; IMO, the most sophisticated looking phone out there.

The reason I went with the 920 ultimately though, was because of Nokia's support for WP7 and WP8 and their users. Between their exclusive apps, dedication to regular updates (unlike some manufacturers), and commitment to customer satisfaction, well, I choose to vote with my wallet and picked up 2 920's.

Posted: Nov 25th, 2012 12:09 am
by Heero01
desidealer49 wrote: Yeah they need to get better marketing and get some more sense tweaks. Apart from that I cannot see how even the one x is inferior to the s3. I would give them a tie if compared overall.

+1

HTC has been my favorite phone manufacture. Despite their antics (having a top spec phone with 1 thing missing) they consistently put out great devices. Although some may be lackluster, on average they are great.

You just cannot go wrong with HTC. Not to mention HTC Sense - which is, imo superior to stock android.

I really want them to push out a HTC Droid DNA type device with better camera.

Posted: Dec 21st, 2012 4:31 pm
by bembol
IMO hTc has the best build, design and feel.

But after owning the One X I didn't like Sense which is why I ended up selling it and kept the S3 because I love Touch Wiz.

I also caved in, I really want to try Windows 8 so I picked the ATIV S. I can't wait to get home!

Posted: Dec 23rd, 2012 11:47 pm
by Justin
How are you liking the ATIV and Window Phone 8? I'll either be getting the Galaxy S III or the ATIV.

Posted: Dec 24th, 2012 12:02 am
by bembol
After a day with it. I sold it. LOL

I love the OS, I really wanted to keep it because I was impressed but I can't believe this is the reason, it's what I told the buyer when we met up.

It's the lack of Apps, I only use 5-10. I was surprised TuneIn is available, I can't believe they don't have...

Bell mobile TV, Flipboard, Starbucks, Scotiabank, Cineplex and Zite.

Posted: Dec 24th, 2012 4:05 pm
by Keas
i wanted to get a win 8 phone but the one in my price range that i could even find was the htc 8s which had specs of a phone 1-2 years old(1g cpu,5meg cam...) and a price tag of 279$ none of the major stores are even carrying the lesser models of that or the Nokia models so i had to go with an android.

Posted: Dec 26th, 2012 1:59 am
by TheDgoat
bembol wrote: It's the lack of Apps, I only use 5-10. I was surprised TuneIn is available, I can't believe they don't have...

Bell mobile TV, Flipboard, Starbucks, Scotiabank, Cineplex and Zite.
Two out of the six missing apps you listed actually have official versions in the market place:

Zite :
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... 74e6854eff

Bell Mobile TV :
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store ... 237de2db9e

Out of the remaining 4 apps, two have good alternatives:

Starbucks - SBUX Card
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store ... 3ec4fd2c0e

Flipboard - Weave, or Pulse
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store ... 347be73fec

Posted: Dec 27th, 2012 12:00 am
by ceraf
I'd recommend people try checking out Rogers Plus stores from time to time (if available) to check for 50% off open box phones. I would be reluctant to pay the full price for a WP8 phone due to app selection, but for $300-450 I'd be more comfortable.