Cell Phones

HTC starts pushing ads to keyboards of their phones in addition to launcher and lockscreen

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 9:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1026 posts
295 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

HTC starts pushing ads to keyboards of their phones in addition to launcher and lockscreen

In addition to pushing ads to lock screen..looks like HTC is now pushing ads to the keyboards of their phones too

Last edited by Doubleshot on Jul 16th, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Oct 14, 2015
503 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is ridiculous. I know HTC is in financial trouble (but they recently had a decent quarter), but this is too much. Just switch to Gboard or swiftkey.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $42 2GB plan
Nov 10, 2013
761 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Android lol
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13733 posts
1363 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't seen any ads on my 10. I don't use their keyboard, but I'm using the default Sense launcher.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
May 8, 2009
587 posts
147 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
HTC doesn't even have much shelf space through carriers.

This is one extra reason to not buy HTC...
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2015
1026 posts
295 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:00 pm
What a surprise, Doubleshot posting fake news about HTC again. TouchPal which is the company behind HTC's default third party keyboard started pushing ads. HTC never push ads to their keyboard and is working to fix the error.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_default_key ... -26218.php
How is it fake...were htc phones not getting ads pushed to their keyboards? What it actually happened? How is that fake?

HTC chose to use a shady supplier for their keyboard (when Google and many others offer ad free better alternative like Swiftkey) yet htc chose TouchPal because htc got paid to use them and htc just wanted revenue so sold out as usual

What do you blame HTC sense launcher ads on now?

Borrowed from Reddit... below is essence of HTC excuse
Whoops, I accidentally inserted 350 lines of code across some .java and .xml files and linked a vendor's library and when my hand slipped I accidentally registered API keys and inserted them into the metadata of the program, and when it went to code review and production release, they accidentally accepted it and uploaded it to their distribution server.

¯\(ツ)/¯