Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:12 pm
That poster said his S7 was running 7.0 still....so are htcs

Not sure why you post about marshmallow

But your posts does conclude with HTC slipping due to their slashing of support as they stray further into restructuring mode

Also HTC warranty is non existent in Canada
Lol, only the first link was about Marshmallow and only to demonstrate Samsung has been sucking at updates for a while, and other two were recent. HTC 10 has had Nougat since last year and S7 only recently got Nougat. Yeah, they're both running 7.0 now but S7's update came months later. Even the two year old M9 got Nougat before S7. That's how pathetic Samsung is at updates.
Jan 22, 2007
634 posts
76 upvotes
Montreal
grisensko wrote:
May 16th, 2017 2:26 pm
The new HTC U11 Pre-Order are starting today.

Website does not work and adding the HTC U11 add the HTC Ultra in your cart for 999$...

BUT!!

Use this cached Google link: HTC 899$ Link

Add the following coupon at checkout: LOVEU11CA to save 76$

824.00$ might look expensive .. but not that much compared to other flagship with Snapdragon 835.
only 824CAD or need plus TAX?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:21 pm
The biggest players samsung and lg do not...neither will iPhone 8

Lcd smartphones is for the second and third tier manufactures now. LG is making the new pixel as Google bailed on HTC due to limited ability of HTC as big bezels and LCDs are unacceptable for flagship phones

Google dumped 1B into LG to get oled for their pixel 2

https://www.google.it/amp/www.cnbc.com/ ... times.html
What are you talking about? LG's H1 flagship, the G6 has a LCD display. Which LG smartphone has OLED display right now? None. Even V30 (H2 release) is only RUMORED to have a OLED display. Apple has nothing announced and nothing available on the market with OLED display either.

Google's 2017 flagship, the Pixel 2 is also being made by HTC: http://bgr.com/2017/03/29/htc-pixel-2-a ... le-phones/
But in any case, Pixel phones are designed and engineered by Google. Google can choose to use whatever parts they want to use and how slim they want the bezels to be. That has nothing to do with HTC which just acts as an assembler for Google.
Last edited by Aznsilvrboy on May 16th, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 3, 2006
958 posts
124 upvotes
lol main site has this for $899 and you can use promo no sale here
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Why was this moved out of the hot deals section? It has a decent amount of upvotes, and is a legitimate deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3595 posts
776 upvotes
Someone is really saying that LCD use is unacceptable! Please, here is why AMOLEDs royally suck:

EVERY AMOLED has this to some degree, and it makes any AMOLED phone extremely annoying to use.

LCDs on the other hand have perfect white balance and don't make you want to gauge your eyes out when you're trying to read things off a pale background and are constantly distracted by pink blotches.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Mar 18, 2015
775 posts
136 upvotes
Antarctica
I like AMOLED because compared to LCD the power draw can be slightly less + it allows for stuff like always on screens and notification screens etc. LCD definitely looks prettier to my eye.

However, after using my 5.5 inch 1080p device that runs for 12-13 hrs of SOT per charge over the course of 2 days, I am not thrilled with all the insane high res screens and paltry battery lives of all these flagships. I "downgraded" from a flagship and it was the best decision ever.
Aug 26, 2012
91 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
Last experience with htc support was in December 2016.
Though the phone was bought more than one year , they repaired it and sent it back for free, in about 2-3 weeks.
I posted phone to htc repairs centre in the US.
Dec 5, 2015
657 posts
186 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
HTC has confirmed they had to keep the large bezels because they are forced to use off the shelf display and therefore can't design smaller bezel

It's a shame they couldn't put in anything bigger than a 3000mah battery despite the large bezels and removing headphone jack . HTC 10 had bad battery life already compared to the S7 .

The squeeze gimmick doesn't seem to work very well as well

Jul 20, 2003
155 posts
14 upvotes
I'm actually a bit tempted (currently an S7 owner).
If I didn't have a phone and had to buy one today, I would probably get the U11 instead of S8 or G6.
The only thing I don't like is that it's loaded with three different AI's........
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:56 am
HTC has confirmed they had to keep the large bezels because they are forced to use off the shelf display and therefore can't design smaller bezel

It's a shame they couldn't put in anything bigger than a 3000mah battery despite the large bezels and removing headphone jack . HTC 10 had bad battery life already compared to the S7 .

The squeeze gimmick doesn't seem to work very well as well

HTC confirmed that where? I challenge you to provide a credible source. Also, edge sense works as intended. Users can adjust the level of force required to activate the feature. In the video below, it is seen that apps can be activated with just a light squeeze:

The reviewer also comments that it worked quite well in the short time he's had with the phone.
Dec 5, 2015
657 posts
186 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Another review confirming squeeze doesnt work and complaining about the poor screen

The HTC 11 is bigger than the s8 physically but much smaller screen...the HTC 11 is all bezel

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/high- ... 1-3659322/

we can tell you, after some hands-on time, that the Galaxy S8 has the superior design in a number of ways.

Add in garbage battery life ..another HTC dud..and with zero Candian support... nobody should even consider it in Canada

I wonder if they'll have even a US carrier or service still if they don't
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10076 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
May 21st, 2017 12:54 pm
Another review confirming squeeze doesnt work and complaining about the poor screen

The HTC 11 is bigger than the s8 physically but much smaller screen...the HTC 11 is all bezel

Add in garbage battery life ..another HTC dud..and with zero Candian support... nobody should even consider it in Canada

Why are you posting fake news? There is no review. They don't even have a HTC U11 review unit.
We haven't had a HTC U11 review sample at the time of writing
Their hands on impression also doesn't mention anything about the quality of the screen or if edge sense works well. I'm still waiting on that credit source about HTC confirming they were forced to use off the shelf displays so they couldn't design a smaller bezel.
Apr 14, 2011
102 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
May 21st, 2017 12:54 pm

Slimmer bezels and a TALLER screen doesn't make a phone any better. So Samsung and LG made taller phones...but look at all the other OEMs that decided to stick to a 16 x 9 aspect ratio so far in 2017. I for one, have never cared about having minimum bezel. 16 x 9 aspect ratio works just fine with me. Pixel was almost universally praised last year as one of the best phones of the year. And the Pixel still is...despite the "useless" bezel. HTC may well have similar sized bezels...but they put a speaker up on the earpiece and a fingerprint scanner on the bottom (where I prefer it, personally)...so I can't exactly say that it is useless space.

In the US, Sprint is carrying the phone. Otherwise, they are selling to Canadian and US customers on their website - unlocked.

Say what you want about a 3000 mAh battery...but in my brief experience with a HTC U Ultra (for 3 weeks before returning it)...it gave me 4.5-5 hrs screen on time from 7:00AM to 11:00PM daily. Keep in mind the U Ultra is getting this battery life with a Snapdragon 821 and Android 7.0 and a 5.7 inch screen along with a secondary display. I expect similar if not better battery life with a U11...with a more power efficient CPU, Android 7.1.1 and a smaller display. I don't care about battery size numbers...my real world usage says that 3000 mAh is fine.

One thing that Samsung, Google or LG (except for the V20) will never have over HTC is superior audio. Boom Sound is better than most the crappy speakers on any other phone. USonic earphones sounded great on the U Ultra...and will sound even better on the U11 now that it also has active noise-cancellation. From what I have read...the 3.5-USB C adapter contains a really good DAC...so 3.5 mm headphone audio should be great too.

Don't be a typical internet hater. Doesn't sound like you have done your research and probably haven't owned an HTC phone. Just hating because of the mob mentality on the internet.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3595 posts
776 upvotes
What a dumb article. So "IPS doesn't look as vibrant as AMOLED" and "it has slightly more bezel" translate into "the U11 has a poor screen"?

And like someone else said, a lot of people think those 18:9 phones don't look pleasant to use and don't want them, preferring a classic aspect ratio.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel