1799 upvotes
Canada,Eh!

HTC Vive Price Cut, Now $799 CAD

Deal Link:
Price:
$799
Savings:
$200 off
It took a while, but it looks like HTC/Valve finally decided to cut the price of their system down to $799 CAD, which is $200 USD off of the old price.

https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/08/21/htc ... rice-drop/

Perhaps they were feeling the heat from the Summer Sale on the Oculus Rift?
Competition is a great thing for us consumers.

It should be the same across the board at multiple retailers.

Amazon & MS links included for reference.

Amazon:
Your text to link here...

MS:
Your text to link here...

Now there are two reasonably priced (as compared to before) PC based VR systems to choose from!

86 replies
Aug 29, 2010
137 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a version that comes wtihout the motion controls for cheaper, or is this the only version?

Wouldn't mind picking it up from Canada Computers since they finance.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1039 posts
158 upvotes
Anyone know, if you buy it from the Vive store, do you still have to pay tax?
May 1, 2008
70 posts
9 upvotes
Lemonylol wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 5:02 pm
Is there a version that comes wtihout the motion controls for cheaper, or is this the only version?

Wouldn't mind picking it up from Canada Computers since they finance.
There's only one version, also most vive games uses the motion controls. The only game that won't need them are sim games like a Project car or Elite Dangerous/DCS World.
Jan 12, 2017
11 posts
17 upvotes
Price is getting better and better.

But man does it require good PC to get good fps. (same deal with Oculus)

Tried with friend that plays Project Cars 2 like WTF it literally needs two 1080 in SLI to get 60 fps.

Single 1080 was barely at 45-50fps. Everything in horizon looked blurry.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3799 posts
935 upvotes
There's a reason why they are reducing their prices. It is because VR is obviously a fad that is already winding down a lot. It's like 3D TVs.

I don't see why anyone would invest money in something like this.

When consumers want to play, they want to relax. They don't want to get "immersed" in something that blocks away reality. They don't want to wear a huge, ugly helmet and stare at goggles that make them queasy if they move their head around.

It's only a matter of time before Vive, Oculus and all the others are abandoned, like 3D TVs or the Microsoft Kinect. It is called, a solution in search of a problem. But nobody had problems playing with a 2D screens, and nobody will then these devices are all discontinued.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Nov 30, 2016
98 posts
49 upvotes
Prince Albert
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 6:48 pm
There's a reason why they are reducing their prices. It is because VR is obviously a fad that is already winding down a lot. It's like 3D TVs.

When consumers want to play, they want to relax. They don't want to get "immersed" in something that blocks away reality. They don't want to wear a huge, ugly helmet and stare at goggles that make them queasy if they move their head around.

It's only a matter of time before Vive, Oculus and all the others are abandoned, like 3D TVs or the Microsoft Kinect. It is called, a solution in search of a problem. But nobody had problems playing with a 2D screens, and nobody will then these devices are all discontinued.
I am not sure I agree with this. Maybe VR as we know it will be 'fad-like' but the idea is not going away. There will be a VR + AR blend that will be sustainable long term. Wireless options alongside smaller headwear can't be far off which would be a huge draw for games, media enthusists, etc.
Jan 7, 2017
38 posts
30 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:

there is literally nothing is the sales numbers to support this. you're talking about what other people want in absolutes where sales figures and revenue clearly show otherwise. prices drop as technology ages usually in preparation for the next iteration of the tech. it would be stranger i think if the prices remained constantly high rather than come down in price. and while VR may not be for everyone for whatever reason (cost of entry, motion sickness, etc) it's a tech that has been constantly chased down for 20+ years so I don't see it dying down anytime soon. as far as your solution in search of a problem, while it's a nice quote, the exact same thing could have been said about smartphones around 2006 and we know how that turned out.
Aug 20, 2017
1 posts
7 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:

There is new hardware in development for vr. New controller from valve, new hdm from lg, wireless hdm from htc, etc... VR is not going to die.
Nov 20, 2016
139 posts
107 upvotes
Victoria BC
Poutinesauce wrote:

I'm guessing the price drops are hinting at the next generation of headsets.

I'm curious...have you tried VR?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1073 posts
425 upvotes
Canada
Poutinesauce wrote:
On the contrary, I think most people want to be able to be immersed in a reality not possible in real life. I'm an example of someone that enjoys being immersed in a virtual world at the end of the day for fun and entertainment. I've been using my VR headset for about a year regularly and don't feel this is a fad at all. New software is constantly being developed so there's always something new to try. As VR evolves, headsets will become smaller, lighter, and less "ugly".

And moving your head around in the VR headsets should not make people queasy if the game/experience within the virtual world is stationary on these high end VR setups with 1:1 positional tracking. It's the artificial locomotion used in some games/experiences that is problematic to a small percentage of people who are new to VR.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3799 posts
935 upvotes
fujiapplelover wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 7:31 pm
On the contrary, I think most people want to be able to be immersed in a reality not possible in real life. I'm an example of someone that enjoys being immersed in a virtual world at the end of the day for fun and entertainment. I've been using my VR headset for about a year regularly and don't feel this is a fad at all. New software is constantly being developed so there's always something new to try. As VR evolves, headsets will become smaller, lighter, and less "ugly".

And moving your head around in the VR headsets should not make people queasy if the game/experience within the virtual world is stationary on these high end VR setups with 1:1 positional tracking. It's the artificial locomotion used in some games/experiences that is problematic to a small percentage of people who are new to VR.
I don't think so actually, it is abnormal to the body when you appear to be moving around, without the gravitational forces that would typically accompany it.

Most people play after a long day of work, or just to relax on the couch. Worrying about whether your device will make you sick is too much of a cost of entry for anyone but the extremely dedicated, and I really doubt these are numerous enough to have a market all for themselves.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1073 posts
425 upvotes
Canada
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 7:36 pm
I don't think so actually, it is abnormal to the body when you appear to be moving around, without the gravitational forces that would typically accompany it.
Gravitational forces is not the problem, because when you stand in VR, you stand in real life. It's the artificial locomotion that makes people feel nauseous. For example when you use a controller to move around instead of physically walking. But there are ways to get around it like teleportation and pie turn controls. And many software just require you to move around naturally with your own body in room scale with your own legs like Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption. If you haven't tried the Vive yet, you should try it to see how natural movement feels.
Poutinesauce wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 7:36 pm
Most people play after a long day of work, or just to relax on the couch. Worrying about whether your device will make you sick is too much of a cost of entry for anyone but the extremely dedicated, and I really doubt these are numerous enough to have a market all for themselves.
I think most people like would want to be immersed in a new world to enjoy new virtual worlds to relax. There are many games and experiences that are seated and are great for relaxing too. There are demos frequently around where people can try it out to see if they feel comfortable before they buy. I've seen the Microsoft store demoing the Vive, not sure if they still have it. VR needs to be experienced to be understood, especially the Vive/Rift/PSVR. They can't be compared to the low end alternatives like Google Cardboard and Gear VR without positional tracking.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1733 posts
470 upvotes
There's always that one person talking out of their ass in these kinds of topics. :facepalm:
Jan 12, 2017
11 posts
17 upvotes
Until you try VR don't call it a fad.

After trying VR with proper racing games its such incredible experience I was speechless,

the difference is so big (immersion factor) I just can't play racing games on monitor anymore.